A stern reminder about an upcoming U.S. Soccer-related event, whether you plan to check it out live and in person, on the "telly" or that wacky world wide web.
Want to see the Next Generation of U.S. Men's National Team players? Curious about what the U.S. team might look like at the 2006 World Cup in Germany? Well, here's your chance to do some early research, as most of the young bucks will be on display this Sunday as the U.S. takes on CONCACAF minnow El Salvador at RFK Stadium live on ESPN at 3 p.m. ET.
Just four months removed from the team's amazing success in Korea, Bruce and his staff are starting the four-year cycle all over again, which means new names, new faces, new formations … you name it, it's new (save for the likes of Landon, Beaz, Pablo and Clint, who are the only U.S. World Cup Team members to be on the roster for this match).
With Brad and Kasey both thriving, but aging, in England, which young 'keeper will stake his claim for the future? And with less than 10 caps between all of the defensive call-ups combined, what will the backline look like? Will we see a 3-5-2 with both Daniel Hernandez and Pablo at defensive mid, or will Bruce go 3-4-3 with Donovan, Mathis and Taylor Twellman wreaking havoc up top? Bruce could be full of surprises - just look at some of the names on the roster he called into the 23-man training camp. Our money is on the old standby - the 4-4-2 - but it's fun to pretend.
Phase Two of the Bruce Arena era begins on Sunday at 3 p.m. See you there.
[Editor's Note: The match will also be available LIVE on ussoccer.com's MatchTracker, presented by Philips Electronics.]
Table of Contents
1) Armchair Midfielder (The U.S. Women: Ready for China 2003?)
2) In Threes (w/ MNT defender Carlos Bocanegra)
3) Making it in the Show (w/ U-20 MNT forward Santino Quaranta)
4) Queries and Anecdotes (w/ WNT goalkeeper Briana Scurry)
5) Mark That Calendar (Nov. 17 - MNT vs. El Salvador)
6) Superstar!!! (w/ WNT midfielder Aly Wagner)
7) FAN Point/Counterpoint (Biggest Surpise on the U.S. MNT Roster)
8) "You Don't Know Jack (Marshall)" (2002 MNT trivia x2)
***HOW'S OUR WRITING?***
We want feedback. No, really. Positive, negative, indifferent--we take all kinds. Reach us at: email@example.com.