The World of Eddie
Think you know your soccer trivia? Weâ€™ll be the judge of that. Pop quiz: who the heck is Jack Marshall? Even the trivia buffs in the U.S. Soccer Communications Department would be hard-pressed to tell you that one Jack Marshall received his one and only cap way back in 1926. Okay, that was pretty much impossible. They get easier.
Let's face it - the conversation around U.S. Soccer for the next month is going to revolve around U.S. MNT forward Eddie Johnson. We decided February's "You Don't Know Jack (Marshall)" should do the same.
We could ask how many players have scored in their first four appearances, but Johnson is the only answer. We could also ask you which other MNT players have scored in four consecutive games, but you could go back to our game report and see that it was Brian McBride in 2001 and William Looby (duh) in 1955. See how you can do with these.
1. What pick in the 2001 MLS SuperDraft did the FC Dallas Burn use to take Eddie Johnson? Johnson wore this number in his first two U.S. MNT appearances.
2. Where does Eddie Johnson stack up against attacking players in training camp with the U.S. MNT this March? Match the player to their career goal total in MLS (not including playoffs).
|a. Brian Ching||47|
|b. Eddie Johnson||19|
|c. Clint Mathis||21|
|d. Pat Noonan||48|
|e. Steve Ralston||50|
|f. Taylor Twellman||19|
3. Johnson scored 58 goals in his two years in U.S. Soccer's U-17 Residency Program, with more than 20 in 2000 and 2001. Only five other players have picked up 20 scored in a year. Who are they? (Check out the all-time residency roster at the U-17 team page.)
4. Between Paul Caligiuri's â€œshot heard 'round the soccer worldâ€ in 1989 and Ed Johnson's 30th minute header vs. Trinidad on Feb. 9, the U.S. had only scored one goal in Port of Spain, Trinidad. Who scored that goal in a 1-0 win on Nov. 24, 1996?
[scroll down for answers]
2. a. Ching-19, b. Johnson-19, c. Mathis-48, d. Noonan-21, e. Ralston-50, f. Twellman-47
3. Freddy Adu, Landon Donovan, Memo Gonzalez, Mike Magee and Santino Quaranta,
4. Joe-Max Moore