Across the Academy – Jan. 29, 2014
Opportunity Knocks with Justin Vom Steeg: ussoccer.com caught up with Real So Cal goalkeeper Justin Vom Steeg for U.S. Soccer’s Opportunity Knocks series. Vom Steeg says he has adjusted to the increased speed of play and has gained the mental focus needed to be successful during his second season in the Academy.
U-13/14 Academy Teams Kick off Futsal Schedule: The Development Academy’s U-13/14 age group begins the futsal portion of its schedule in February, beginning with two regional events in Martinez, Calif., and Orlando, Fla., on Saturday and Sunday. Eight regional events will run throughout February.
U-17 MNT Captures Aegean Cup Crown: The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team won the 2014 Aegean Cup with a 2-1 victory against Turkey on Jan. 25 in Manisa. LA Galaxy Academy product Haji Wright scored what would prove to be the game-winning goal in the 55th minute. Goalkeeper Will Pulisic (Richmond Strikers) earned the tournament’s Golden Glove award.
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Jan. 25-26):
- West Conference: Chivas USA’s Anthony Rodriguez notched a game-winning goal in the 90th minute to lift his U-17/18 team to a 3-2 victory against Pateadores on Saturday. Chivas built a 2-0 halftime lead before Pateadores’ Alex Rosales and Sean Goode scored back-to-back goals in the second half to tie the score at 2-2. Chivas USA is currently third in the Southwest Division at 7-3-3 and 1.85 points per game.
- Central Conference: Lonestar SC Academy’s Noah Murphy scored three goals and the U-17/18 squad defeated Andromeda FC 3-1 on Sunday for the team’s third victory of the 2013-14 campaign.
- East Conference: Weston FC U-15/16 forward Tomas Garcia-Morillo scored three goals to lead his side to a 3-0 victory against Orlando City to move into first place in the Southeast Division. Weston (12-3-2, 2.24 points per game) built a 3-0 lead and held off a late run by Orlando City (13-5-0, 2.17 points per game). Weston FC’s U-17/18s posted a 3-1 win against Orlando City, with two goals coming from Lucas Orellana.
Academy Player of the Week: Kendall SC U-15/16 defender Jordi Avila was named the Academy Player of the Week following the Jan. 18-19 weekend. Avila, a member of the U-14 Boys’ National Team, was rewarded with a spot in the recent Academy Showcase Select match in December, and he has been playing up regularly for Kendall’s U-17/18 squad.
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Q&A with Eric Miller: Defender Eric Miller, formerly of the Development Academy’s Minnesota Thunder and the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team, answered some questions for ussoccer.com after he was selected fifth overall by the Montreal Impact in the 2014 MLS SuperDraft. Miller chatted about the draft, the benefits of playing for the U-20s during their World Cup year and his professional future.
U-20 MNT Accepts Invitation to Dallas Cup: The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team will play in the Gordon Jago Super Group (U-19) of the 35th edition of the Dallas Cup this April. Some potential players who could be in this year’s edition of the tournament for head coach Tab Ramos’ squad include FC Dallas homegrown product Kellyn Acosta of the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup squad and Chivas USA midfielder Marco Delgado.
Three YNT Squads Name Rosters for Camps, Tournaments: The U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team, led by head coach Javier Perez, is headed to the Copa del Atlantico from Jan. 30-Feb. 8 in Las Palmas, Spain. The USA squad, which features 17 players with ties to the Academy, will have the opportunity to face Spain, Argentina and the Canary Islands at the event. Hugo Perez’s U-15 Boys’ National Team of 20 players (16 currently registered in the Academy) is bound for Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, for an international training camp that runs until Feb. 8. The U-14 BNT kicks off a training camp from Feb. 1-9 in Lakewood Ranch, Fla. U-14 head coach Tony Lepore named 37 players to this camp, with 30 registered in the Academy.
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Real So Cal’s Justin Vom Steeg
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Conor Donovan
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: NJSA 04’s Matias Fracchia
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q&A: Developing Youth Players
- 2013 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Tyler Adams | Jose Carranza | David Chavez | Lucas Del Rosario | Chase Gasper | Edwin Lara | JT Marcinkowski | Shaquell Moore | Maduabuchi Obinwa | Erik Palmer-Brown | Juan Pablo Torres
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The Feb. 1-2 weekend features 22 scheduled games at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups.
- Bethesda-Olney: Academy Product Gedion Zelalem Wows Arsenal at FA Cup
- Chicago Fire: Academy Gains Incredible Experience from Al Kass Cup
- Chicago Fire: Club Re-Signs Forward Kellen Gulley
- Chivas USA: Juan Sanchez Faces Familiar Team in Copa Chivas
- Chivas USA: Juan Espinoza Makes First Return to Guadalajara
- Columbus Crew: Wil Trapp Anxious to Build Upon Strong Rookie Campaign
- FC Dallas: Academy Set to Compete in Copa Chivas International Youth Tournament
- Seattle Sounders: Academy Product Jalen Markey Reflects on U-20 Call-Up
- Sporting Kansas City: Erik Palmer-Brown Named to U-18 MNT for Copa del Atlantico
- Top Drawer Soccer: Christian Pulisic and the Making of an American No. 10