Across the Academy - Jan. 5
Alumni Training for Klinsmann, U.S. MNT: Academy alumni Juan Agudelo and Bill Hamid are in the midst of training with the U.S. Menâ€™s National Team under head coach Jurgen Klinsmann. Training began Tuesday, Jan. 3, and runs through Jan. 26. The U.S. is gearing up for a Jan. 21 match against Venezuela at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz., followed by a Jan. 25 match against Panama at the Estadio Rommel Fernandez in Panama City.
U-19 Stuttgart Junior Cup kicks off Friday: U.S. Soccer sent a menâ€™s team to Stuttgart, Germany, to compete in the 2012 U-19 Stuttgart Junior Cup, which is an annual indoor tournament. The event takes place Friday and Saturday, and the U.S. has been drawn into Group A, competing against club teams from Lechia Danzig (Poland), VfB Stuttgart (Germany) and FSV Mainz 05 (France). The format features 6-vs.-6 play on a 50-by-30-meter field without walls. The U.S. roster includes eight current Academy players and two alumni.
U-18 MNT Training in Florida: U-18 Menâ€™s National Team head coach Richie Williams is evaluating 24 players (21 of them current Development Academy players) through Monday in Florida this week . Romain Gall of D.C. United Academy (at Lorient in France) and Zach Pfeffer of FC DELCO (Philadelphia Union) are Academy alumni, and Nicholas Gaitan of Albertson SC (currently at Argentinos Juniors in Argentina) took part in the Winter Showcase.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Pareja Named Rapids Head Coach: Two-time U.S. Soccer Development Academy Conference Coach of the Year (2008-09, 2009-10) and 2008-09 Academy Coach of the Year Oscar Pareja was named the new head coach of Major League Soccerâ€™s Colorado Rapids on Thursday.
Rowe Headed to MLS: Kelyn Rowe out of UCLA signed with Major League Soccer and is expected to be a top signing in the 2012 MLS SuperDraft on Jan. 12. The former Crossfire Premier midfielder recently was named the Pacific 12 Conference Player of the Year:
Pittaluga Wins Chicago Fire Open Tryout: Former Miami Kendall FC midfielder Fabrizio Pittaluga was named the winner of the Chicago Fireâ€™s open tryout on Wednesday, Jan. 4. The Peruvian-born, Miami-based 22-year-old will join the Fireâ€™s training camp in Ave Maria, Fla., starting on Jan. 20:
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Inside Menâ€™s Soccer features the Minnesota Thunderâ€™s Elliot Cassutt â€“ Insidemnsoccer.comÂ
- Major League Soccer features the Real Salt Lake AZ residency program â€“ MLSsoccer.comÂ
- Major League Soccer conducts a Q & A with former Crossfire Premier midfielder and Pac-12 Player of the Year Kelyn Rowe â€“ MLSSoccer.comÂ
- Former Academy players Luis Gil, Darlington Nagbe and Diego Fagundez are among Major League Soccerâ€™s Breakout Player of 2012 candidates â€“ MLSSoccer.comÂ
- Soccer America highlights the U-20 MNT camp roster â€“ Soccer AmericaÂ
- Soccer America features the U-18 MNT camp roster â€“ Soccer AmericaÂ
- Potomac Soccer Wire highlights the local Virginia players called to the U-18 MNT camp â€“ Potomac Soccer WireÂ
- An ESPN blog features the players from FC Dallas called into the U-20 MNT and U-18 MNT camps â€“ 3rd DegreeÂ
- Ex-Vardar midfielder Ben Myers transfers to Michigan State â€“ ESPN RISEÂ
- Players Development Academyâ€™s Christiano Francois commits to Maryland â€“ ESPN RISEÂ
- Sporting Kansas City defender Eric DeJulio commits to Creighton â€“ ESPN RISE