ACROSS THE ACADEMY
A Weekly Summary of Development Academy News â€“ Feb. 10, 2011
First Chapter of Minnesota Derby Ready to Be Written: Shattuck-Saint Maryâ€™s Soccer Academy and Minnesota Thunder face off on Saturday, Feb. 12, at Shattuck-St. Maryâ€™s indoor playing facility, opening the first chapter in the Minnesota inter-state rivalry. The two teams also break the ice in the Frontier Division, as their match will be the first one for that group.
U-18 MNT to Kick Off Training Camp in Phoenix: The U.S. Under-18 Menâ€™s National Team roster has been set for a training camp to be held from Feb. 12-20, in Phoenix, Ariz. Head coach Mike Matkovich has called in 36 players, including 26 current Development Academy players and four Development Academy alumni. The U.S. will play friendlies against teams from Major League Soccer that are in the midst of preseason training in Phoenix. Matkovichâ€™s squad has scrimmages set up against Sporting Kansas City and Colorado Rapids on Feb. 15 and Vancouver Whitecaps and Portland Timbers four days later.
U-17 MNT Ready for CONCACAF Championship: The U.S. U-17 Men's National Team will travel to Montego Bay, Jamaica, on Saturday ahead of the CONCACAF U-17 Championship. Wilmer Cabrera's squad will face Cuba on Monday, Feb. 14, and Panama on Friday, Feb. 18, in Group B play. The winners of the tournament's four quarterfinal games on Feb. 22 will advance to the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Mexico. The roster will be announced on Friday afternoon, and the team will depart on Saturday.
Development Academy and Youth National Teams Take to Twitter: U.S. Soccer has launched a Twitter feed geared specifically toward fans of U.S. youth national teams and the Development Academy. Follow @ussoccer_ynt to keep up with YNT and Academy news and notes during an important year for the programs.
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:
- With a record of 11-0-2 in the Southeast Division, Concorde Fire U-15/16 became theÂ first team to clinch an automatic place in the 2010-11 Development Academy Playoffs as they are guaranteed to finish in either first or second place in the division.
- North Meck U-15/16 moved up two places to second place in the Atlantic Division after the victory this weekend elevated the teamâ€™s record to 3-0-0 in the division and 7-1-1 overall.
- Seattle Sounders and Real Salt Lake AZ split the battle between MLS Academy teams on Sunday, Feb. 6, in Seattle. Real Salt Lake U-17/18 defeated Seattle 1-0 while the Seattle Sounders U-15/16 defeated Real Salt Lake 2-1.Â
- Crossfire Premier U-17/18â€™s Parker Powell was the only player to score multiple goals on the weekend, scoring a brace in the teamâ€™s 3-2 loss to Real Salt Lake AZ U-17/18.
WEEK EIGHT PEAK PERFORMERS
U-15/16 Performer of the Week: Jose Vasquez â€“ Midfielder, Real Salt Lake AZ
Vasquez started both of Real Salt Lake AZâ€™s matches, tying Crossfire Premier 1-1 on Saturday and falling 2-1 to Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday. His standout performance earned him high technical and tactical ratings from Academy scouts.
U-17/18 Performer of the Week: Raul Mendiola â€“ Forward, Arsenal FC
Mendiola, who was the U-15/16 Development Academy Player of the Year in 2010, started and played 90 minutes in both of Arsenal FCâ€™s matches on the weekend. After falling to Seattle Sounders FC 2-0 on Saturday, Mendiola scored the lone goal in the 1-0 victory against Crossfire Premier on Sunday.
Referee of the Week: Mark Buda
Buda received the highest scores for the weekendâ€™s games, and has demonstrated consistency when officiating Academy matches. A Grade 5 referee, Buda officiated second division and Premier Developmental League matches last season, as well as 11 Academy matches, three of which were at the Development Academy Playoffs.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES
Luna Scores for Mexico U-20s: FC Dallas Home Grown talent Ruben Luna scored a goal for the U-20 Mexican national team Monday while training for CONCACAF U-20 championships in El Salvador. Luna's tally came in the 20th minute of the first half of a 1-1 tie with El Salvador's first division champion CF Metapan.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Concorde Fire U-15/16 became the first Academy team to clinch an automatic berth to this yearâ€™s playoffs â€“Â U.S. SoccerÂ
- A (still growing) list of Academy players who signed National Letters of Intent during the past week â€“Â U.S. SoccerÂ
- Potomac Soccer Wire with a feature on NJSA â€™04 president and U.S. MNT legend Tab Ramos about his coaching philosophies â€“ potomacsoccerwire.comÂ
- Tim Schulz, president of Rush Soccer had a Q&A session with Soccer Americaâ€™s Mike Woitalla â€“ Soccer AmericaÂ
- J.R. Eskilson updates Goal.com readers on the Real Salt Lake-Arizona program â€“ Goal.comÂ
- FC Dallas provides updates on their MLS-leading five Homegrown Players - FCDallas.com