Across the Academy – Feb. 12, 2014
Opportunity Knocks with Jackson Yueill: Minnesota Thunder Academy midfielder Jackson Yueill, who recently represented the U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team at the 2014 Copa del Atlantico, spoke with ussoccer.com for its Opportunity Knocks series. Yueill talked about how his second Academy season is going and the strong competition it has provided him on a weekly basis.
400 Signings and Counting: Last Wednesday’s National Signing Day included more than 400 players from the Development Academy announcing their 2014 college commitments. To date, Bethesda-Olney leads the way with 18 of its Development Academy players signing national letters of intent, and more than 20 other Academy clubs have announced that 10 or more of its players will continue their careers in college.
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Feb. 8-9):
- West Conference: The Southwest Division’s Strikers FC had a good weekend in its crossover set against the Northwest Division’s De Anza Force, earning a 3-2 victory at the U-15/16 level and a 1-1 draw at the U-17/18s on Saturday. In the latter, Danny Moreno scored a 79th-minute equalizer to help the Strikers earn a point against the Northwest Division’s top team. Strikers FC’s Shinya Kadono scored two goals and Matthew Gooden added a 57th-minute game-winner to lead the U-15/16 team to a win.
- Central Conference: The Colorado Rush earned a local derby sweep against the Colorado Rapids on Sunday. The Colorado Rush’s U-15/16s, led by a Charles Caswell brace and Will Eslinger’s first-half goal, earned a 3-0 victory against the Colorado Rapids. Meanwhile, the Rush U-17/18s rallied for a 2-1 win against the Rapids, with Eduardo Reza providing the equalizer and Miguel Jaime the winner in the 87th minute. The Rush U-17/18 team won its third straight and is second in the Frontier Division with a 9-4-1 record (2.00 points per game), trailing only FC Dallas (10-1-3; 2.36 points per game).
- East Conference: Kendall SC’s U-15/16 team moved into a tie for second place in the Southeast Division with a 2-0 win against IMG Academy on Saturday. Renato Corghi scored his first two goals of the season to lead Kendall, which is now tied with Weston FC in the standings at 13-4-3 (2.10 points per game) and trails first-place Orlando City (14-5-1; 2.15 points per game).
- U-13/14 Futsal: Three regional futsal events took place last weekend. At Carolina Courts in Concord, N.C., Georgia United Red won all three group matches and defeated North Carolina Alliance Red to go 4-0-0 at the event. Charlotte Soccer Academy did the same in the White division, capping off the tournament with a victory against the Carolina Rapids in its placement match. … At LA Galaxy Soccer Center in Torrance, Calif., Chivas USA White, LAFA Red and Real So Cal Red each won all four of its matches, with Real So Cal Red’s offense posting a whopping 55 goals among the four-game set. … At Chicago Futsal Academy in Melrose Park, Ill., five Academy teams went a perfect 3-0-0 in the group stage, including both the Minnesota Thunder Academy Red and White teams. The other three-game group winners were Crew Soccer Academy Red, Sockers FC White and St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri White.
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Minnesota Thunder’s Akale Named MVP at Copa del Atlantico: The U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team closed out the 2014 Copa del Atlantico with a 3-2 loss to the Canary Islands last Friday. But there were plenty of positives to take away from the event, particularly for U-18 midfielder Mukwelle Akale of the Minnesota Thunder Academy, who was named the tournament’s top player. Also on that last day, Solar Chelsea SC’s Alan Winn started the USA’s comeback from a 2-0 deficit against the Canary Islands.
- Aegean Cup U.S. U-17 MNT Highlights: Jan. 20 vs. France | Jan. 21 vs. Norway | Jan. 23 vs. Scotland | Jan. 25 vs. Turkey
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Minnesota Thunder Academy’s Jackson Yueill
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Crew Soccer Academy’s Ben Swanson
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Real Salt Lake AZ’s Christian Herrera
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Real So Cal’s Justin Vom Steeg
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Conor Donovan
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: NJSA 04’s Matias Fracchia
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q&A: Developing Youth Players
- 2013 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Tyler Adams | Jose Carranza | David Chavez | Lucas Del Rosario | Chase Gasper | Edwin Lara | JT Marcinkowski | Shaquell Moore | Maduabuchi Obinwa | Erik Palmer-Brown | Juan Pablo Torres
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The Feb. 15-16 weekend includes 18 scheduled games at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups. Another three games feature U-13/14 Academy teams.
- U-13/14 Academy Futsal: The regional futsal action takes a brief hiatus over the Feb. 15-16 weekend and then resumes with three events from Feb. 22-23. They include nine Academy teams at the Austin Sports Center in Cedar Park, Texas; 13 teams at Competitive Edge Sports in King of Prussia, Pa.; and 11 Academy clubs at the Connecticut Sports Arena in New Milford, Conn.
NATIONAL SIGNING DAY LINKS:
- Bethesda Olney: 18 Players Announce College Commitments
- Chargers SC: Players Announce Commitments
- Colorado Rapids: Youth Players Announce College Commitments
- Columbus Crew: Youth Development Players Commit to Play College Soccer
- Columbus Crew: National Signing Day Ceremony (video)
- D.C. United: National Signing Day
- FC Bolts Celtic: Players Announce College Commitments
- FC Dallas: Youth and Academy Boast Largest Signing-Day Group in Program History
- Houston Dynamo: Academy Players Sign Letters of Intent
- LA Galaxy: Academy Well-Represented on National Signing Day
- New England Revolution: Youth Players Make College Commitments
- New York Red Bulls: Academy Players Announce College Commitments
- Orlando City: OYSC Holds Successful Signing Day
- Players Development Academy: Signing Day
- Real Colorado: National Signing Day
- San Jose Earthquakes: 10 Academy Players Sign College Commitments
- Sporting Kansas City: Academy Players Declare College Commitments
- Sporting Kansas City: Signing Celebration (video)
- St. Louis Scott Gallagher Metro/Missouri: SLSG Hosts Signing Day Celebration
- Weston FC: Players Commit to Colleges on National Signing Day
- FC Dallas: Academy Coach Josema Bazan Promoted to First-Team Assistant
- Houston Dynamo: Will Bruin Primed to Step into Leadership Role
- Real Salt Lake: 10 Things About Jordan Allen
- mlssoccer.com: D.C. United’s Bill Hamid Focused on Fresh Start, U.S. MNT After Frantic Offseason
- mlssoccer.com: Colorado Rapids’ Shane O’Neill Changes Tune on Position Transition
- mlssoccer.com: Chicago Fire’s Benji Joya Excited to be with New Club