Across the Academy - Oct. 4
Rivalry Week Hits Full Force in Academy Play: The upcoming week features some important fixtures, including key local derbies. Among the noteworthy games during Academy Rivalry Week is a matchup between Sockers FC and the Chicago Fire. Both U-17/18 teams are 3-0-0 to start the season, and ussoccer.com caught up with Sockers FC third-year Academy player Tyler Davis to shed some light on the matchup. (2012-13 Academy schedule)
U-20 MNT Roster Named for Marbella Cup: U.S. U-20 Men’s National Team head coach Tab Ramos named a 19-player roster for the 2012 Marbella Cup in Spain. FC DELCO Academy product Zackary Steffen and former Colorado Rapids Academy midfielder Shane O’Neill earned their first U-20 call-ups. The U-20 MNT faces Canada on Wednesday, Oct. 10, followed by Scotland (Oct. 12) and Azerbaijan (Oct. 16). Ramos also took the time to preview the Marbella Cup with ussoccer.com.
U-17 MNT Faces Mexico in AGS Cup: The U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team won three of its first four games of the 2012 AGS Cup in Spain and enters the weekend with a Saturday match against defending AGS Cup champion Mexico. The USA took second in last year’s event. Earlier in the week, the U-17s came from behind to beat Morocco 2-1 on goals from CSA Wolves product Ahinga Selemani and Rubio Rubin. The U.S. then shut out United Arab Emirates 2-0 on Sept. 30 with penalty kick goals from Minnesota Thunder product Mukwelle Akale and Shaq Moore. On Oct. 2, the U.S. beat Canada 2-1 on two first-half goals.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- With several Southwest Division teams on a bye week, Real Salt Lake AZ and Chivas USA had an opportunity to take an early lead in the U-17/18 age group last Saturday. Instead, the two teams played to a scoreless draw as they moved to 2-0-1 and a four-way tie in the division with idle Strikers FC and LA Galaxy. It is the only division in the Academy with four squads tied in points.
- The San Jose Earthquakes swept their season-opening series against Cal Odyssey last Saturday. Emilio Huerta scored the game’s first two goals as the Earthquakes U-17/18 team rolled to a 5-0 win, while four separate goal scorers paced the U-15/16 team during a 4-0 victory.
- Four different goal scorers helped the Colorado Rapids U-15/16 team pick up its third win of the season and move into a first-place tie in the Frontier Division with Sporting Kansas City following its 4-0 win against the Texas Rush last Saturday. Dakota Peterson’s third-minute goal gave the Rapids an early lead and they never looked back. Defensively, the Rapids have allowed only one goal this season – the second-lowest total in its division.
- The two FC Dallas teams opened their 2012-13 season on a winning note as the defending U-17/18 champion squad posted a 5-1 win against Classics Elite and the U-15/16 team garnered a 5-0 victory.
- The North Carolina Fusion U-17/18 team’s Donovan Japp scored four goals last weekend and has taken the overall Academy scoring lead with nine goals. The Fusion played Weston FC to a 3-3 draw last Saturday and topped Kendall SC 4-2 on Sunday. Japp scored two goals in each match for the Fusion, which is 2-1-1 and tied for second in the Southeast Division behind CASL Chelsea FC Academy (3-0-0).
- D.C. United’s U-15/16 team overcame a first-half deficit with back-to-back goals from Julian Cummings and Steven Gandy to defeat McLean Youth Soccer 2-1 and improve to 4-0-0 on the season.
Week 4 Player of the Week: Sebastian Saucedo, Forward, Real Salt Lake AZ
Sebastian Saucedo scored three goals for Real Salt Lake AZ’s U-15/16 team en route to a 7-2 win against Chivas USA on Saturday, Sept. 29. Saucedo, who is a U-15 national pool player and was recently in camp in March, scored goals in the 24th, 35th and 48th minute and he is tied for the U-15/16 Academy lead with five goals this season. Real Salt Lake AZ is 3-0-0 this season atop the Southwest Division.
Referee of the Week: Joshua Brooks
Joshua Brooks earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during this past weekend’s match between Crew Soccer Academy and Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy. The Kentucky-based referee has worked in two previous Academy Finals Weeks in 2010 and 2011.
OTHER ACADEMY NEWS AND NOTES:
Academy Awards 175 Scholarships: The Development Academy has awarded scholarships to 175 players through its Academy Scholarship Program for the 2012-13 season. Former Pateadores midfielder Angel Maldonado, who was a scholarship player in 2011-12, spoke with ussoccer.com about the benefit of the program as he now competes for the University of New Hampshire.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Oakwood SC Building College-Like Fan Base – Top Drawer Soccer
- Academy Recap: No Drop-Off for FC Dallas – Top Drawer Soccer
- De Anza Force Product Benji Joya Makes First Start for Santos – Soccer America
- Chicago U-17/18 Teams All Perfect – Soccer America
- McCrary Leads FC Milwaukee Past Chicago Magic PSG – Wisconsin Soccer Central
- Colorado Rapids Product O’Neill Adds Another Highlight to Year – coloradorapids.com
- D.C. United U-17/18 Team Draws McLean – dcunited.com
- D.C. United U-15/16 Comes From Behind to Win, Remain Undefeated – dcunited.com
- FC Dallas Academy Teams go Undefeated to Start 2012-13 – fcdallas.com
- Portland Timbers Academy Teams Open Home Schedule – portlandtimbers.com
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program