Across the Academy - June 9, 2011
U-17 MNT World Cup Roster Set: U.S. Under-17 Menâ€™s National Team head coach Wilmer Cabrera included 16 Academy players on the 21-player roster that will represent the United States at the upcoming FIFA U-17 World Cup in Mexico. De Anza Force midfielder Marc Pelosi leads the group with five goals and three assists in eight games played this year. Arsenal FC is the only club to send two players to Mexico in Paul Arriola and Wade Hamilton. The U.S. opens Group D play against Czech Republic on June 19 in Torreon.
Agudelo Makes Gold Cup Debut: Becoming the first Development Academy alumnus to play in an official competition for the Menâ€™s National Team, Juan Agudelo started Tuesday nightâ€™s game against Canada in the CONCACAF Gold Cup. Next up for the U.S. is a Saturday match against Panama at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla.Â Kickoff on Fox Soccer and TeleFutura is set for 8 p.m. ET.
More Playoff Spots Confirmed as Regular Season Winds Down: Four U-15/16 teams and two U-17/18 teams clinched automatic playoff berths this weekend, and will vie for a chance at Finals Week. Charlotte Soccer Academy, North Carolina Fusion, South Carolina United FC and first-year club Real Salt Lake-AZ all qualified for Playoffs at the U-15/16 level. Concorde Fire and Weston FC join CASL Chelsea FC and Empire United in the U-17/18 age group.
Automatic Berths at Stake: The final full weekend of games is highlighted by teams looking for a final push, and an automatic berth to Academy Playoffs. Real Salt Lake-AZ U-17/18 will play host to Pateadores this weekend in a game that will go a long way in deciding the SoCal Division race. Cal Odyssey will face the Seattle Sounders on Saturday with the top place in the Northwest Division on the line. Races across the country are heating up as the end of the regular season will be full of meaningful games.Â
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:
- There were 308 goals scored in the 100 games last weekend, slightly more than the season average of 2.9 goals per game.
- Defensively, there were also 55 shutouts posted.
- Following a 3-1 win against rival St. Louis Scott Gallagher Metro, U-15/16 St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri has taken over the top place in the Frontier Division, and has two games in hand on Sporting Kansas City, who currently sits in second.
- Despite dropping a game this weekend to Sockers FC, Crew Soccer Academy U-15/16 jumped into first place in the Great Lakes division due to a 3-0 win against FC Milwaukee.
- Alberston SC U-17/18 stayed in the playoff picture with two impressive wins against New York Red Bulls and PDA, the only two teams ahead of them in the Liberty Division.
- Cameron Kirdzik scored both goals for PDA U-15/16 in a 2-1 win against FC Westchester.
- Two clubs in North Carolina had perfect records on the weekend as CASL FC Chelsea and North Carolina Fusion each posted 4-0-0 record.
- North Meck SC and Charlotte Soccer Academy split a rare Wednesday night double-header, with Charlotte winning the U-15/16 game and North Meck taking the U-17/18 result.
- De Anza Force U-15/16 used two wins on the weekend to jump up three spots in the Northwest Division standings. Their 5-4-2 record is currently good enough for second place in the division.
- Seattle Sounders U-17/18 jumped to the top of the Northwest Division with a pair of wins this weekend, improving their divisional record to 7-1-1.
- Pateadores continued their climb up the SoCal rankings with a win against Cosmos Academy West, and are currently third place in the division.
- A brace from Pedro Arias helped Real So Cal U-17/18 to a 3-2 win against Irvine Strikers on Saturday.
- After wins against Nomads and San Diego Surf, the LA Galaxy U-15/16s have climbed to second place in the SoCal standings.
U-15/16 Performer of the Week: Dakotah Millard â€“ Midfielder, South Carolina United
Millardâ€™s midfield play was influential in South Carolina United securing an automatic playoff spot from the Southeast Division. He started and played all 80 minutes in both of his teamâ€™s games this weekend, a 5-0 win against Kendall SC and 1-0 win against Weston FC. He has started 24 of South Carolina Unitedâ€™s 25 games, contributing a goal.
U-17/18 Performer of the Week: Nick Jones â€“ Forward, St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri
Jones started and went 70 minutes in the derby match between St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri and St. Louis Scott Gallagher Metro, his first appearance at the U-17/18 level. The only player born in 1995 to appear in the match, Jones made his presence felt with two goals. He has been a consistent contributor for his clubâ€™s U-15/16 team, which is currently 15-3-1 on the season.
Referee of the Week: Ryan Dos Reis
Dos Reis is a Grade 4 referee from Eastern New York, who earned praise for his work during the U-17/18 match between FC Westchester and PDA on Saturday. The 25-year-old has officiated 17 Academy matches during the past two seasons, and spends most of his time refereeing WPS, PDL and USL-2 matches in the area.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Life in Norway: The Detroit Free Press with an extensive article about former Derby County Wolves Josh Gatt and Sean Cunningham, and what their new life is like in Norway. The two are 19 and 18 years old, respectively, and have been with Molde FK for several months.
Kassel Steps in at Right Back: With most of his experience as an offensive midfielder for the New York Red Bulls (and previously the teamâ€™s Academy), Matt Kassel had to step in at right back in just his second MLS appearance. The Homegrown player talked to Big Apple Soccer about being prepared to help the team whenever possible.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Cal Odysseyâ€™s Villyan Bijev talks about his experience with the U-18 MNT in Lisbon â€“ Goal.com
- FC Dallas is two games away from completing an undefeated Academy season â€“ TexasFutgol.com
- Sounder at Heart catching up with the Sounders Academy teams after a long break â€“ SounderAtHeart.com
- The Brotherly Game has an interview with FC DELCO midfielder Jimmy McLaughlin â€“ TheBrotherlyGame.com
- The Houston Dynamo set to travel to the Netherlands this weekend for the Eurovoetbal Tournament â€“ MLSsoccer.comÂ Â
- Top Drawer Soccer has an update on the U-15/16 playoff picture â€“ TopDrawerSoccer.com