Across the Academy – Sept. 18, 2013
Profiling Launch of U-13/14 Division in Development Academy: U.S. Soccer technical advisors Dave Santesteban, Hugo Perez and Juan Carlos Michia took some time during a recent U.S. U-14 Boys’ National Team camp to share the opportunities and advantages of implementing the U-13/14 age division in the Development Academy. This age group made its debut a couple weeks ago. The U-13/14 Academy program, as with the older age groups in the Development Academy, emphasizes increased training four times per week and meaningful games in a consistent environment for 10 months.
Perez Names 36 Players to U.S. U-18 MNT Roster: U.S. U-18 Men’s National Team head coach Javier Perez has named a 36-player roster for a domestic training camp from Sept. 22-29 at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, Calif. The group includes 33 players with ties to the Development Academy.
ACADEMY SOCIAL CONNECTION:
- @MNTHUNDACADEMY: MTA U.S. Development Academy sweeps Ohio! …fb.me/1YhfvYfte – Minnesota Thunder on U-15/16 and U-17/18 wins vs. Columbus Crew, Internationals
- @SoundersAcademy: A special shout-out to U-18 Academy players Justin Crichlow, Malcom Frago and Kenny Sweet – called up to the Reserve Team for the day! – Seattle Sounders FC
- @strikersacademy: First 3 pts of the season for U-18s in Derby de Richmond! U-14s & U-16s back to work on the training pitch #getbettereveryday – Richmond Strikers
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Sept. 14-15)
- West Conference: The Seattle Sounders U-15/16 team has opened the 2013-14 season with a 2-0-0 record, posting a 5-1 victory against the Santa Cruz Breakers Academy on Saturday and a 1-0 win against De Anza Force on Sunday. Victor Mansaray had the lone goal in the 28th minute of the win against De Anza. Mansaray also had a goal and Harrison Kurtz scored twice against Santa Cruz. John Magnus and Connor Noblat added two early goals as Seattle jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first 10 minutes.
- Central Conference: The Dallas Texans welcomed the San Antonio Scorpions Youth Academy (formerly Classics Elite) to the tune of a pair of shutout victories on Saturday. Abdel Sanogo scored two goals and Jeffrey Palomarez added a tally for a 3-0 victory at the U-15/16 age group. Ivan Alvarado scored a 14th-minute goal as the U-17/18s earned a 1-0 win.
- East Conference: David Lozano scored three goals over the weekend as the Carolina Rapids U-17/18 team improved to 3-0-0 to lead the Southeast Division. Lozano and teammate Diego Delacruz each scored two goals for a 4-0 victory against Kendall SC on Sunday. That win was preceded by a 2-0 win against Weston FC with tallies from Lazano and Calvin Saunders.
Stat of the Week: The Philadelphia Union U-17/18 Academy team is averaging a league-best 4.3 goals per game (13 goals in three matches) and is the only 3-0-0 team in the U-17/18 age group to post shutout victories in every match. In the younger age group, the Vancouver Whitecaps’ U-15/16 team has three shutout wins to open its season at 3-0-0.
Referee of the Week: Illinois referee Alex Beehler, 22, was named Academy Referee of the Week following his work during the Sept. 7 match between St. Louis Scott Gallagher Metro and the host Chicago Fire at the U-15/16 level.
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Hispanic Heritage Month – NJSA 04’s Tab Ramos: As U.S. Soccer kicks off Hispanic Heritage Month, celebrating the diversity and heritage of several U.S. Men’s National Team players and coaches, ussoccer.com spoke with National Soccer Hall of Famer Tab Ramos. The NJSA 04 President and U-15/16 head coach, and U.S. U-20 Men’s National Team head coach discussed his move to the U.S. from Uruguay at age 11 and his journey in shaping soccer in the USA since then.
Soto Names USA Roster for 2013 Beach Soccer World Cup: Former LA Galaxy U-17/18 Academy head coach and U.S. Beach Soccer head coach Eddie Soto is preparing for the 2013 FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup this week in Tahiti (video preview). The team’s 12-player roster kicks off the tournament on Thursday, Sept. 19, against Spain, with a live stream of the match at 10 p.m. ET (4 p.m. local) on ESPN3.
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division (video)
- Hispanic Heritage Month – Tab Ramos: From Uruguay, to Spain and Everywhere in Between
- Tony Lepore Q & A: Developing Youth Players
- Richie Williams Finalizes Roster for Fall Semester of U-17 Residency Program
- 2013-14 Academy U-17/18 Preview: NYRB Brings Another Wave of Talent
- 2013-14 Academy U-15/16 Preview: RSL AZ Benefits from Residency Setup
- 2013-14 Academy Preview: League Expands to U-13/14 Age Group for Seventh Season
- The YNT Blog
ACADEMY ALUMNI UPDATES
Major League Soccer and mlssoccer.com are rolling out their annual “24 Under 24” series. The following former Development Academy players have made the list so far, with the unveiling continuing through Friday:
- No. 16: Portland Timbers defender Andrew Jean-Baptiste (Albertson SC alum)
- No. 18: D.C. United goalkeeper Bill Hamid
- No. 20: Colorado Rapids midfielder Dillon Powers (Andromeda)
Quotable: “I can always picture Mom in the kitchen, with soccer playing in the background.” – NJSA 04 President and U-15/16 Academy head coach, and U.S. U-20 MNT head coach Tab Ramos
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The third weekend of the 2013-14 Academy season features 150 games across the three age groups. This marks the largest set of weekend games in the Academy, in its seventh season. Four games kick off Friday, with Sporting Kansas City’s U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams hosting Lonestar SC Academy and the Colorado Rapids teams hosting the San Antonio Scorpions Youth Academy.
- Development Academy Winter Showcase: Dec. 11-15 at Lakewood Ranch, Fla., for U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy teams. The U-15/16 matches take place on Dec. 12, 13 and 15, and the U-17/18 games are Dec. 11, 12 and 14.
- Soccer America: Philadelphia Union Academy Debuts in Impressive Fashion
- Soccer America: Maryland’s Bethesda-Olney Makes Splash in Debut
- Top Drawer Soccer: Development Academy Recap
- New York Red Bulls Academy Sweeps BW Gottschee
- Portland Timbers Academy Teams Bring Home Points in First Road Trip of Season