Across the Academy – Jan. 22, 2014
U.S. U-17s Advance to Aegean Cup Championship: The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team clinched a spot in the championship match of the 2014 Aegean Cup this Saturday following a 5-2 Group B win against Norway on Tuesday in Manisa, Turkey. Elijah Rice (Chicago Magic PSG), McKinze Gaines (Lonestar SC), Alexis Velela (San Diego Surf), Christian Pulisic (PA Classics) and Nicholas Taitague (Richmond Strikers) each scored a goal for the USA (2-0-0, 6 points). Pulisic also scored a game-winning penalty kick in the final minute of the USA’s 2-1 win against France on Monday. Before the title match, the U.S. wraps up group play against Scotland on Thursday.
Former U-20 MNT Trio Climbing the Ladder: Defenders DeAndre Yedlin and Shane O’Neill and midfielder Luis Gil, all formerly of the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team and the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup squad, talked about making the jump to the senior National Team under head coach Jurgen Klinsmann. All three have Development Academy ties – Yedlin with Seattle Sounders FC, O’Neill with the Colorado Rapids and Gil with Pateadores.
ACADEMY SOCIAL CONNECTION:
- @ChicagoMagicPSG: #MagicFan Elijah Rice scores his first goal for the U17 US MNT after defeating Norway today.#TeamUSA moves on … fb.me/6la0OtCxT – Chicago Magic PSG
- @LAGalaxyAcademy: U-16s putting that hard work in the weight room #undefeated#Galaxy #soccer pic.twitter.com/iPPQGhGjEN – LA Galaxy
- @SoundersAcademy: Academy alumni Okoli and Kovar are the last players to leave the training field. pic.twitter.com/l1rlJ8M4SN – Seattle Sounders FC
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Jan. 18-19):
- West Conference: The San Jose Earthquakes earned a pair of 1-0 victories against De Anza Force last Saturday. Macario Hing-Glover scored the winner at the U-17/18 age group against a previously unbeaten De Anza Force side (10-1-3) to help the Quakes improve to 5-4-4. At the U-15/16s, Pablo Gervacio had the game’s lone goal in the 14th minute and San Jose (9-4-0, 2.08 points per game) moved into a first-place tie with the Vancouver Whitecaps (8-2-3, 2.08 points per game).
- East Conference: Kendall SC’s U-15/16 team ended a five-game winless stretch in a big way, defeating Southeast Division leader Orlando City 2-1 on Saturday. Orlando City’s Tristan Johnson gave his side an early 1-0 lead in the fifth minute, but Kendall rallied on tallies from Gonzalo Marquez and Andree Costa in the 20th and 63rd minutes, respectively. Kendall SC is third in the Southeast with a 10-4-3 record (33 points; 1.94 points per game) and Orlando City still holds the top spot at 13-4-0 (39 points; 2.29 points per game).
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Dean Among Former Academy Players Headed to MLS: Former De Anza Force Academy player Christian Dean was selected as the No. 3 overall pick by the Vancouver Whitecaps at the 2014 MLS SuperDraft, which was held last Thursday in Philadelphia. Eric Miller (Minnesota Thunder) of the Montreal Impact and JJ Koval (Real So Cal) of the San Jose Earthquakes were also top-10 selections as a total of 33 former Academy players were chosen in the four rounds. Rounds 3 and 4 were conducted Tuesday.
Javier Perez Recaps U-18 MNT’s Camp in Florida: ussoccer.com caught up with U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team head coach Javier Perez following the group’s domestic camp from Jan. 4-11 in Lakewood Ranch, Fla. Perez recaps the camp, facing the U.S. U-17 MNT for two matches and the preparation into molding the next U-20 corps.
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Conor Donovan
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: NJSA 04’s Matias Fracchia
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q&A: Developing Youth Players
- 2013 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Tyler Adams | Jose Carranza | David Chavez | Lucas Del Rosario | Chase Gasper | Edwin Lara | JT Marcinkowski | Shaquell Moore | Maduabuchi Obinwa | Erik Palmer-Brown | Juan Pablo Torres
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The Jan. 25-26 weekend features 22 scheduled games at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups.
MLS SUPERDRAFT LINKS:
- mlssoccer.com: Colorado Rapids Pick Marlon Hairston Excited to Join Team
- mlssoccer.com: D.C. United Makes it Clear Steve Birnbaum was Always their Target
- mlssoccer.com: Houston Dynamo Hopes AJ Cochran Can be Next Eddie Robinson
- mlssoccer.com: LA Galaxy Drafts Kyle Venter as Cover for Omar Gonzalez Ahead of WC
- mlssoccer.com: Montreal Impact Trade up to get Right Back Eric Miller
- mlssoccer.com: NYRB’s Petke Expects Chris Duvall to Push Kosuke Kimura at Right Back
- Denver Post: Hairston, Van De Casteele Picked by Rapids in MLS Draft
- Los Angeles Times: Galaxy Picks Defender Kyle Venter in MLS SuperDraft
- Montreal Gazette: Impact Takes Defender Eric Miller with First-Round Pick
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: AJ Cochran Selected 16th by Houston Dynamo
- Soccer America: Top SuperDraft Picks Look Back (When They Were Children)
OTHER NEWS LINKS:
- D.C. United: Q&A with U-20 National Team Camp Selections Dainkeh and Harkes
- LA Galaxy: Academy to Play in Gordon Jago Super Group at Dallas Cup
- San Jose Earthquakes: Tommy Thompson Becomes Club’s First Homegrown Player