Across the Academy - Jan. 20, 2011
East and West Conferences Continue Play: With 14 games on tap this weekend, the focus will be on California and the Carolinas on Saturday, with teams from the Seattle area joining in on Sunday.
Seattle Derby, Take Two: The second meetings between Crossfire Premier and Seattle Sounders FC are set for Sunday, with Crossfire Premier playing host to both the U-15/16 and U-17/18 games. In the younger age group, Crossfire Premier took a 4-0 win at their last meeting on Nov. 20, 2010, while the Sounders won 1-0 at the U-17/18 level. Sundayâ€™s game will be the final meeting between the two rivals during the regular season.
South Carolina United Looking to Keep Pace: South Carolina United U-15/16, currently holding on to second place in the Southeast Division, will look to improve its overall record with two conference games against Charlotte Soccer Academy and North Meck SC. South Carolina United is coming off two straight losses to Atlantic Division teams and will be trying to reverse that trend this weekend.
U-14 BNT Continues Training Camp in Guadalajara: The U.S. U-14 Boysâ€™ National Team, made up of players born in 1997 who were identified in part during the annual identification camp and U.S. Soccer Training Centers, continues its international training camp in Guadalajara, Mexico, this week. The split squad, led by head coach Manny Schellscheidt, opened its series of friendlies against local club teams with a 1-0 win against Chivas and a 3-0 win against Cordica Select on Jan. 19.
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:
Sounders Net Two Wins Against California Development Academy: Seattle Sounders FC U-15/16 took over first place in the Northwest Division with a 7-0 win against California Development Academy on Jan. 16. In the U-17/18 age group, the Sounders retained the top place in their division with a 4-1 victory against CDA.
Two Derby County Wolves Products Reunite at Norwayâ€™s Molde FK: U.S. U-20 international Josh Gatt has finalized a transfer to Molde FK and will soon be joined by former Derby County Wolves teammate Sean Cunningham, who is also set to join the club when he turns 18 at the end of January.
Dynamo Add Third and Fourth Homegrown Players: Alex Dixon and Josue Soto have signed developmental contracts with the Houston Dynamo, becoming the third and fourth former Dynamo Academy players to sign with the first team. Dixon just completed his junior year at North Carolina while Soto is a senior at Southern Methodist.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Former Derby County Wolves midfielder Josh Gatt has completed a transfer to Norwayâ€™s Molde FK â€“ Sports Illustrated (via Associated Press)
- The Detroit News features former Derby County Wolves captain Sean Cunningham ahead of his signing with Molde FK â€“ The Detroit News
- The Sounder at Heart blog updates the results of the two Sounders FC Academy teams â€“ SounderAtHeart.com
- Former Indiana United Academy star AJ Corrado has joined his Finals Week championship teammates at Indiana University â€“ Indiana Daily Student
- Former New York Red Bulls Academy and current U.S. U-20 defender Sacir Hot appeared in a U-23 game while on trial with Germanyâ€™s Borussia Moenchengladbach â€“ Yanks Abroad
- The Houston Chronicle checks in on the two new Dynamo signees â€“ Houston Chronicle
- The Washington Post checks in on D.C. Unitedâ€™s Homegrown goalkeeper Bill Hamid as he looks to secure a starting position â€“ The Washington Post