A stern reminder about an upcoming U.S. Soccer-related event, whether you plan to check it out live and in person, on the “telly” or that wacky world wide web.
FIFA Women’s Youth World Championship
Well, it all starts this weekend for the U.S. Under-19 Women’s National Team. While they’ve achieved unparalleled success (read: 15-1-1 international record and 93-10 goal differential in those matches) since the program’s official inception 18 months ago, none of that matters as they get ready to compete in the first ever FIFA Women’s Youth (U-19) World Championship. Entering the first women’s youth tournament of its kind, the terms “tournament favorite” and “the team to beat” follow the U.S. team, so the pressure is on the U.S. teenagers to uphold the winning tradition set by the U.S. Women’s National Team in world championships.
It all starts on Saturday (Aug. 17), when they meet England at 1 p.m. PT in Victoria, British Columbia, in a match that serves as the opening game of the tournament. It doesn’t get any easier in their second match, in which they take on Australia, who went undefeated in Oceania qualifying with a 4-0 record and outscored opponents 45-0, on Aug. 19 at 7:15 p.m. PT. The U.S. finishes opening round play with a match on Aug. 21 at 7:15 p.m. PT against Chinese Taipei, who advanced out of their AFC group ahead of China. From there, it’s single elimination and the team might meet such respected opponents as Germany, France, Nigeria or Japan.
Fans will be able to follow the tournament by logging onto a section of ussoccer.com dedicated to the tournament to get game reports, updated group standings, daily notes, postcards from the players, player bios and photos, as well as the ability to follow live game action on ussoccer.com’s MatchTracker, presented by Philips Electronics.
Below is the tentative schedule for the team, including the Opening Round and other possible games should the U.S. advance:
- Aug. 17: USA vs. England (Centennial Stadium) 1 p.m. PT
- Aug. 19: USA vs. Australia (Centennial Stadium) 7:15 p.m. PT
- Aug. 21: USA vs. Chinese Taipei (Centennial Stadium) 7:15 p.m. PT
- Aug. 24/25: Quarterfinal (TBD) TBD
- Aug. 29: Semifinals (Commonwealth Stadium) 5:15 or 8 p.m. MT
- Sept. 1: Third Place / Final (Commonwealth Stadium) 11 a.m. / 2 p.m. MT
Table of Contents
1) Armchair Midfielder (WUSA Version 2.0)
2) Word Association (w/ WNT midfielder Tiffany Roberts)
3) Desert Island Discs (w/ U-19 WNT midfielder Manya Makoski)
4) Queries and Anecdotes (w/ U-19 WNT forward Heather O’Reilly)
5) Making it in the Show (w/ U-23/U-20 MNT forward Devin Barclay)
6) Mark That Calendar (FIFA Women’s Under-19 World Championship)
7) "You Don’t Know Jack (Marshall)" (WUSA trivia x 2)
***HOW'S OUR WRITING?***
We want feedback. No, really. Positive, negative, indifferent--we take all kinds. Reach us at: email@example.com.