Across the Academy - June 13
U-20 MNT to Face Off against Portugal in Warm-Up Game: In preparation for the U-20 FIFA World Cup, the U-20 MNT will travel to Portugal to take on the Portugal U-20 side on June 15. Portugal was one of six countries to qualify for the FIFA U-20 World Cup via the 2012 UEFA European U-19 Football Championship. The game kicks off at noon ET.
Schedule Set for Development Academy Playoffs and Showcase: With the Academy season nearly over, teams are getting ready to head to the Development Academy Playoffs and Showcase. They run from June 24-28 at FC Dallas Park in Frisco, Texas. The U-17/18 age group kicks off June 24, and the U-15/16’s get under way June 25.
U-20 MNT Heads to FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey: Head coach Tab Ramos and the U-20 MNT are set to get the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup underway when they take on Spain on June 21. Seventeen of the 21 players on the named to the roster have ties to the Development Academy, while three, Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy) and Zach Steffen (FC DELCO) are current Academy players.
U.S. Futsal Team Win Four Nations Tournament in England: The U.S. futsal team traveled to England and rattled off three straight wins, against England, Malaysia and Poland to bring home the title. Lucas Stauffer, who plays for Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy U-17/18 side, scored three goals in the tournament, including two in the comeback win against Poland on June 9.
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy on Facebook and Twitter
- 2012-13 Academy Schedules | 2012-13 Academy Standings
Marriott’s Academy ‘One-Stop-Shop’: As the official hotel sponsor of U.S. Soccer, Marriott is providing Development Academy teams with the opportunity to earn discounts on personal travel. You can benefit from this relationship by taking advantage of Marriott’s TeamTravel “one-stop-shop” website for groups less than 25 rooms per night:
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Seattle Sounders FC completed the regular season on high note with a weekend sweep of cross-city rival Crossfire Premier. The U-17/18 squad emerged victorious 3-2 while the U-15/16 team won 3-1. Both Sounders teams will feature in the playoffs beginning on June 24 at FC Dallas Park in Frisco, Texas.
- Chicago Fire U-17/18 took a big step toward making the playoffs with a 2-0 win against St. Louis Scott Gallagher Metro U-17/18 last Sunday. The team was able then to confirm their place in the postseason with a dramatic 3-2 win against Crew Soccer Academy Wolves U-17/18 Wednesday night.
- Nathan Shultz netted a hat trick as the Players Development Academy’s U-15/16 team shutout Match Fit Academy 3-0. Players Development Academy’s U-15/16 team finished the season on an impressive eight-game winning street and will enter the playoffs as the second overall seed in the age group.
Player of the Week: Austin Panchot, St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri U-17/18
Austin Panchot scored two goals for his St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri U-17/18 side against rivals St. Louis Scott Gallagher Metro to keep pace in the playoff race. They are one of the three teams vying for two playoff spots still up for grabs.
Referee of the Week: Kyle Burkhardt
Kyle Burkhardt earns referee of the week for his performance during last weekend’s U-17/18 match between Minnesota Thunder Academy and Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy. The 25-year-old Grade 5 referee from Minnesota has worked more than 40 Development Academy matches in his career. He also worked the 2011 and 2012 Winter Showcase.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- DC United goalkeeper Bill Hamid voted to MLS team of the week – mlssoccer.com
- Juan Agudelo’s third act may be his best – mlssoccer.com
- Tab Ramos talks FIFA U-20 World Cup roster – ussoccer.com
- Tab Ramos names 21-player roster for U-20 World Cup – ussoccer.com
- Tab Ramos quote sheet – ussoccer.com
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program