U.S. U-21 MNT’s O’Neill Solidifying Conversion to Defense: Former Colorado Rapids Academy forward and midfielder Shane O’Neill made a transition to the defense during his time with the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team under head coach Tab Ramos. ussoccer.com caught up with O’Neill, a member of the USA’s 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup squad, during the U.S. Under-21 Men’s National Team camp to discuss the move, which has been embraced by the National Team coaches and his MLS club. O’Neill and the U.S. U-21 MNT face Tijuana for an international friendly on Wednesday night.
- Roster Named for U-21 MNT Camp | Tab Ramos Q&A: Pool ‘Prepared for Next Level’
- Klinsmann Attends U-21 MNT Camp in Carson (video)
U.S. U-20 MNT Places Second at Dallas Cup: The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team finished in second place at the 2014 Dallas Cup, capping off the event with a 2-0 loss to Argentina’s River Plate on Sunday at the Cotton Bowl. The highlight of the tournament was the USA’s dramatic 3-2 overtime victory against Fluminense in Friday’s semifinal. Rubio Rubin, the 2012 U.S. Soccer Young Male Athlete of the Year, scored two goals, including the game-winner in the 102nd minute. Chivas USA Academy product Ben Spencer scored the USA’s second goal, and New York Red Bulls Academy product Santiago Castaño made 11 saves for the victory.
For the latest Development Academy news, visit the ussoccer.com Academy home page, follow us on Twitter @ussoccer_ynt or like us on Facebook.
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of April 18-19):
- West Conference: Crossfire Premier U-15/16 forward Joey Parish scored two goals to lead his team to a 4-1 victory against Vancouver Whitecaps FC in Northwest Division play. Parish has a team-leading 15 goals for Crossfire Premier (10-8-4; 1.55 points per game). Michael Figg and Hassani Dotson added Crossfire goals in the 70th and 72nd minutes, respectively.
- Central Conference: In a matchup of two of the top four teams in the Frontier Division standings, the second-place Colorado Rush U-17/18s edged fourth-place Real Colorado 1-0 last Friday. Apostolis Apostolopolous scored the game’s lone goal in the 83rd minute and the Rush defense posted its second straight shutout and seventh shutout of the season. The Colorado Rush (14-6-2; 2.00 points per game) trails only FC Dallas (15-2-4; 2.33 points per game) in the division standings.
- East Conference: Everton FC Westchester’s U-15/16 team has moved its way toward the middle of the Northeast Division standings with its third straight victory, a 4-1 win against the New England Revolution on Saturday. After trailing 1-0 through 14 minutes, four different players scored for Everton FC Westchester (6-9-2; 1.18 points per game) – Cameron Riach, Daniel Figarella, Christopher Estevez and Thomas Suchecki.
- Player of the Week: Vardar U-15/16 forward Nash Popovic was named Academy Player of the Week for the weekend of April 12-13. Popovic notched a hat trick during Vardar’s 4-1 road victory against Sockers FC on April 13. Popovic leads Vardar with 14 goals in 19 games this season, and the squad is atop the Mid-America Division standings at 12-5-3 (1.95 points per game).
- Academy Referee of the Week: Jamey Walter, a 34-year-old Grade 4 referee from Wisconsin, was named Academy Referee of the Week for his work during the U-17/18 match between FC Wisconsin Nationals and Vardar SC on April 12. In the past couple years, Walter has worked Academy games, NASL and the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
For all Development Academy results, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Perez Names U.S. U-15 BNT Roster for Italy Tournament: U.S. Under-15 Boys’ National Team head coach Hugo Perez named an 18-player roster for the Tournament Delle Nazioni in Gradisca d’Isonzo, Italy, which runs from April 25 to May 1. Twelve players on the roster are currently registered to Development Academy clubs.
Academy Alumni: Manneh Tallies Equalizer for Whitecaps: Kekuta Manneh, a former Academy player with the Texas Rush and Lonestar SC, scored an 86th-minute equalizer to help host Vancouver Whitecaps FC earn a 2-2 draw against the LA Galaxy last Saturday. Crew Soccer Academy product Wil Trapp and former Chicago Magic PSG and Chicago Fire Academy midfielder Harry Shipp each assisted goals in their draws for the Columbus Crew and Chicago Fire, respectively.
- Release: FC Golden State, Juventus Sport Club Join U-15/16 and U-17/18 Levels in 2014-15
- Release: Academy Postseason Features New Format in Build-Up to July 19 Final
- Release: Top U-13/14 Team to be Rewarded with Trip to 2014 Manchester United Premier Cup
- Video: Academy and YNT Benefit from Head-to-Head Duels
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Philadelphia Union
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Bethesda-Olney
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: Q&A with Colorado Rapids Academy Product Shane O’Neill
- Feature: New England Revolution Academy’s Herivaux Basks in First-Team Run
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q&A: Developing Youth Players
- 2014 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Hunter Pinho | Jake Arteaga | Justen Glad | Orrin McKinze Gaines | Quentin Pearson | Jaret Townsend | Jonathan Navarro | Josh Burnett | Sebastian Padua | Elijah Rice | Dembakwi Yomba | Mukwelle Akale | Jackson Yueill | Ben Swanson | Christian Herrera | Justin Vom Steeg | Conor Donovan | Matias Fracchia
- 2013 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Tyler Adams | Jose Carranza | David Chavez | Lucas Del Rosario | Chase Gasper | Edwin Lara | JT Marcinkowski | Shaquell Moore | Maduabuchi Obinwa | Erik Palmer-Brown | Juan Pablo Torres
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The April 26-28 stretch features 132 games. A combined 84 games are scheduled at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups and 48 matches are set at the U-13/14 level.
- Dallas Morning News: Exhausted U.S. U-20 MNT Slips in Dallas Cup Final
- Dallas Morning News: Recap of Sunday’s Championship Games
- Dallas Morning News: Saturday Recaps and Sunday Preview
- Grande Sports Academy: Real Salt Lake’s Allen, Lopez, Spencer, Gall Shine for U-20 MNT
- LA Galaxy: U-17/18 vs. Chivas Guadalajara Highlights (video)
- Soccer Wire: Titles Earned in U-13 Through U-16 Groups
- Top Drawer Soccer: Dallas Cup Brings Fireworks Yet Again
- Top Drawer Soccer: U.S. U-20 MNT Falls in Dallas Cup Final
- Chicago Fire: Fireside Magazine: Growing Local Talent
- Colorado Rapids: Dillon Serna Talks About Home Debut, U.S. U-21 MNT Call-Up (video)
- Colorado Rapids: Academy Defender Sam Vines Selected for U.S. U-15 Tournament
- Seattle Sounders: Sean Okoli Looking to Rise Through MNT Ranks After U-21 Call
- mlssoccer.com: Homegrown Product Dillon Serna Enjoys Solid Home Debut for Colorado
- mlssoccer.com: Columbus Crew Hails Wil Trapp’s Game-Changing Play
- mlssoccer.com: Columbus Crew, U.S. U-21 MNT Agree to Play it Safe with Wil Trapp Injury
- The Columbus Dispatch: Wil Trapp Opens Door for Crew Tie
- The Morning Call: Lehigh Valley United Stepping Up for Academy Level
- Top Drawer Soccer: Development Academy Recap
- USL PRO: Jonathan Top Named USL PRO Player of the Week
- ussoccer.com -