Arriola Returns to YNT Picture with U-20 MNT: Former Arsenal FC and LA Galaxy Academy player Paul Arriola rejoined U.S. Soccer’s Youth National Team scene during the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team’s runner-up performance at the 2014 Dallas Cup. The Tijuana forward sat down with ussoccer.com to discuss the professional style in Mexico, playing for U.S. U-20 MNT head coach Tab Ramos and the hopes of representing the USA in the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup.
Follow Academy on New Twitter Account: The Development Academy has launched its exclusive Twitter account (@ussoccer_acad). For the past several years, the Academy and Youth National Teams shared one feed. But with the continued growth of information and news in the Development Academy, in addition to events such as the Academy Playoffs and Showcase on the horizon, this permanent hub will be a great place to get all the latest updates.
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of May 3-4):
- West Conference: Chivas USA swept its road set against Arsenal FC on Saturday. The U-17/18s turned a tightly-contested match into a 4-2 victory as Chivas’ Michael Flores scored the game-winning and insurance goals in the 78th and 87th minutes. Flores has six goals in five games. Ivan Gutierrez and Jonathan Caparelli each had first-half goals for Chivas USA (12-7-5, 1.71 points per game in the Southwest Division). At the U-15/16s, Arturo Garcia tallied a 14th-minute goal as Chivas USA shut out Arsenal FC 1-0.
- Central Conference: Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy’s U-15/16s moved into sixth place in the Mid-America Division with a pair of victories last weekend. Shattuck overcame a first-half deficit with Bryan Missana and Alexander Allison each scoring a goal for a 2-1 victory against Sockers FC on Saturday. Then, Kyle Johnston scored a go-ahead goal and Missana an insurance goal in the closing minutes for a 3-1 victory against FC Wisconsin Nationals on Sunday. Shattuck has had a good run, winning four of its past five games to improve to 9-8-5 (1.45 points per game) on the season.
- East Conference: Match Fit Academy’s U-15/16 team increased its winning streak to eight games, shutting out Baltimore Bays Chelsea 3-0 on Saturday and edging Match Fit Academy 3-2 on Sunday. Match Fit’s Daniel Hampton, Marc Waldeck and Benjamin Muzekari each scored a goal against Baltimore Bays Chelsea to earn its seventh straight shutout win. Though the defense surrendered a pair of goals to NJSA, the offense picked things up with Robert Gillin recording a brace and Hampton scoring early in the second half. Match Fit is 13-4-3 and in fourth place in the Atlantic Division with 2.10 points per game, but the margin is tight among this group. Players Development Academy is clinging to first place at 15-4-1 and 2.30 points per game.
Academy Referee of the Week: Brandon Rinkenberger, a 37-year-old Grade 4 referee from Indiana, was named Academy Referee of the Week for his work during the U-17/18 match between the Indiana Fire Academy and FC Wisconsin Nationals on April 26. In addition to Academy regular-season Playoff and Finals Week games, Rinkenberger has also worked in MLS, USL PRO, PDL, NASL, and multiple international U-17 matches.
For all Development Academy results, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Academy Alumni: Agudelo Caps off Loan in Style; Garcia Debuts: Former New York Red Bulls Academy forward Juan Agudelo tallied a game-winning goal and assisted another to lead FC Utrecht to a 2-1 victory against Vitesse on Saturday. Agudelo capped off his loan from Stoke City, recording his third goal for Utrecht. Elsewhere, FC Dallas homegrown midfielder Danny Garcia made his MLS debut and first start during the team’s 1-0 loss to the New York Red Bulls on Sunday. He played 75 minutes in the central midfield.
U-15 BNT Wraps Up Trip to Northern Italy: The U.S. Under-15 Boys’ National Team concluded its 12-day trip to northern Italy, wrapping things up with a 2-0 loss to Zambia’s U-17 Men’s National Team. This was a beneficial stretch for the U-15s to play older international competition, including the U-16 squads from Slovenia, Mexico and China PR in the Torneo delle Nazioni and Japan’s U-16s in a separate international match.
- Release: FC Golden State, Juventus Sport Club Join U-15/16 and U-17/18 Levels in 2014-15
- Release: Academy Postseason Features New Format in Build-Up to July 19 Final
- Release: Top U-13/14 Team to be Rewarded with Trip to 2014 Manchester United Premier Cup
- Video: Academy and YNT Benefit from Head-to-Head Duels
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Philadelphia Union
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Bethesda-Olney
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Video: Arriola Returns to YNT Picture with U.S. U-20 MNT
- Feature: Q&A with Colorado Rapids Academy Product Shane O’Neill
- Feature: New England Revolution Academy’s Herivaux Basks in First-Team Run
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q&A: Developing Youth Players
- 2014 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Hunter Pinho | Jake Arteaga | Justen Glad | Orrin McKinze Gaines | Quentin Pearson | Jaret Townsend | Jonathan Navarro | Josh Burnett | Sebastian Padua | Elijah Rice | Dembakwi Yomba | Mukwelle Akale | Jackson Yueill | Ben Swanson | Christian Herrera | Justin Vom Steeg | Conor Donovan | Matias Fracchia
- 2013 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Tyler Adams | Jose Carranza | David Chavez | Lucas Del Rosario | Chase Gasper | Edwin Lara | JT Marcinkowski | Shaquell Moore | Maduabuchi Obinwa | Erik Palmer-Brown | Juan Pablo Torres
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The Academy weekend features 121 games running from May 9-10. A combined 80 games are scheduled at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups and 41 matches are set at the U-13/14 level.
- Chivas USA: Academy Teams in Final Stretch of Season
- Colorado Rapids: Marlon Hairston on First MLS Start (video)
- FC Dallas: Danny Garcia Reflects on ‘Emotional’ MLS Debut
- New England Revolution: Academy Teams Post Win, Draw Against Empire Revolution
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC: Kekuta Manneh Post-Game Interview (video)
- mlssoccer.com: Danny Garcia Given Keys to FC Dallas Offense
- American Soccer Now: Americans in Europe – Juan Agudelo and Nermin Crnkic
- ESPN FC: Future Stars from FA Youth Cup Final – Emerson Hyndmann
- Top Drawer Soccer: Development Academy Recap