Steffen Plays Significant Role in Current U-20 Cycle: U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team goalkeeper Zack Steffen figures to hold a significant role when the USA attempts to qualify for the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup. ussoccer.com sat down with the FC DELCO Academy product and member of the USA’s 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup team.
11 Academy Teams Secure Playoff Berths: During the May 10-11 weekend, 11 teams earned berths to the 2013-14 Development Academy Playoffs. The seven U-17/18 teams that qualified during this stretch included Capital Area RailHawks Academy – CASL, Carolina Rapids, Chicago Fire, LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake AZ, Real So Cal and Seattle Sounders FC. Four U-15/16 Academy teams earned a berth: D.C. United, Kendall SC, Players Development Academy and the San Jose Earthquakes.
- FC Dallas U-17/18s, NYRB Teams Qualify for Playoffs
- Bethesda-Olney U-17/18s, FC Dallas U-15/16s Clinch
- Three Academy Teams Clinch First Playoff Spots for 2013-14 Season
- Academy Postseason Features New Format in Build-Up to July 19 Final
Shipp’s Technical Prowess Benefiting Fire: ussoccer.com caught up with Chicago Fire rookie midfielder Harry Shipp, a former Academy player with the Fire and Chicago Magic PSG (Chicago Magic AS Monaco during Shipp’s tenure). Shipp discussed the experience and technical work during his time with the Academy and his rookie MLS season, which included a hat trick against the New York Red Bulls on May 10.
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of May 17-18):
- West Conference: Real So Cal’s U-17/18 team will need some help and an additional win to have a chance at the Southwest Division title, but the squad helped its cause with a 1-0 victory against fourth-place Chivas USA on Saturday. Spencer Held scored the game-winning goal in the 51st minute for his 10th goal this season. Real So Cal improves to 18-5-4 and 2.15 points per game. The LA Galaxy (18-5-3) and Real Salt Lake AZ (18-4-5) lead the division with 2.19 points per game.
- Central Conference: Crew Soccer Academy’s U-17/18s tallied an early goal and shut out the first-place Chicago Fire 1-0 in Mid-America Division action on Sunday in Bridgeview, Illinois. Silankonet Bayo scored the game’s lone goal in the 14th minute and Crew Soccer Academy improved to 12-8-4 (1.67 points per game) as the team fights for an Academy Playoff berth. The Fire, with its postseason spot already secured, lost for just the second time this season to move to 18-2-5 and 2.36 points per game. … Elsewhere, the Houston Dynamo U-17/18 team edged Frontier Division leader FC Dallas 1-0. Emmanuel Usen scored Houston’s 16th-minute goal and the Dynamo (13-7-5, 1.76 points per game) extended its unbeaten streak to seven games (6-0-1 during that stretch). FC Dallas is still the frontrunner of the division at 16-3-5 (2.21 points per game).
- East Conference: Weston FC’s Gregorio Ibanez scored an 80th-minute, game-winning goal as the U-15/16 team rallied past IMG Academy 4-3 on Sunday. Weston FC, which is in second place in the Southeast Division behind Kendall SC, trailed IMG 3-2 late in the second half until Steven Ghitis scored his second goal of the match in the 69th minute to tie the score at 3-3. Weston is now 21-7-4 with 2.09 points per game and Kendall is clinging to the division lead at 22-5-6 (2.18 points per game).
- Academy Player of the Week: Brian Pacheco, a U-17/18 forward with Pateadores, earned Academy Player of the Week honors for his performance over the May 10-11 weekend. Pacheco scored two goals during Pateadores’ 4-3 victory against division leader Real Salt Lake AZ on May 11. Pacheco is a former U.S. U-17 Residency player.
- Academy Referee of the Week: Artem Sher, a 32-year-old Grade 4 referee from Minnesota, was named Academy Referee of the Week for his work during the U-17/18 match between Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy and Chicago Magic PSG on May 11. In addition to Academy matches, Sher has also worked in the PDL, NASL and the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup over the past two years.
For all Development Academy results, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
U-14 BNT Draws Croatia Twice: The U.S. Under-14 Boys’ National Team earned a pair of draws against Croatia’s U-14s in Zagreb. The USA played to a 2-2 tie on Monday and then drew 1-1 on Wednesday. Jake Arteaga, who plays for Los Angeles Futbol Academy, scored the opening goal on Monday, and Chris Goslin of Georgia United tallied a late equalizer. Tristan Weber of the LA Galaxy Academy scored the lone goal in Wednesday’s rematch. The U-14 BNT faces Slovenia on Thursday.
Academy Alumni: Fagundez Earns MLS Weekly Honors: New England Revolution Academy product Diego Fagundez was named to the MLS Team of the Week after recording a goal and an assist during the Revolution’s 5-3 road victory against the Philadelphia Union last Saturday. Among other notable alumni efforts, Chivas USA Academy product Marco Delgado tallied his first career MLS goal en route to a 1-1 draw against FC Dallas.
Joe Corona: A Foot in Two Countries: U.S. Men’s National Team midfielder Joe Corona, who played for the Academy’s Nomads SC in 2008-09, and his mother took ussoccer.com on a trip to Tijuana, where he represents Club Tijuana. Corona was named to Jurgen Klinsmann’s 30-player preliminary roster for the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
- Release: FC Golden State, Juventus Sport Club Join U-15/16 and U-17/18 Levels in 2014-15
- Release: Academy Postseason Features New Format in Build-Up to July 19 Final
- Release: Top U-13/14 Team to be Rewarded with Trip to 2014 Manchester United Premier Cup
- Video: Academy and YNT Benefit from Head-to-Head Duels
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Philadelphia Union
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Bethesda-Olney
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Video: Arriola Returns to YNT Picture with U.S. U-20 MNT
- Video: Steffen Plays Significant Role in Current U-20 Cycle
- Feature: Shipp’s Technical Prowess Benefiting Chicago Fire
- Feature: Q&A with Colorado Rapids Academy Product Shane O’Neill
- Feature: New England Revolution Academy’s Herivaux Basks in First-Team Run
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q&A: Developing Youth Players
- 2014 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Hunter Pinho | Jake Arteaga | Justen Glad | Orrin McKinze Gaines | Quentin Pearson | Jaret Townsend | Jonathan Navarro | Josh Burnett | Sebastian Padua | Elijah Rice | Dembakwi Yomba | Mukwelle Akale | Jackson Yueill | Ben Swanson | Christian Herrera | Justin Vom Steeg | Conor Donovan | Matias Fracchia
- 2013 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Tyler Adams | Jose Carranza | David Chavez | Lucas Del Rosario | Chase Gasper | Edwin Lara | JT Marcinkowski | Shaquell Moore | Maduabuchi Obinwa | Erik Palmer-Brown | Juan Pablo Torres
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The Academy weekend features 52 games running from May 24-25. A combined 28 games are scheduled at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups and 24 matches are set at the U-13/14 level. Early the following week, there are eight scheduled games (seven among the U-15/16s and U-17/18s) from Monday, May 26, through Wednesday, May 28.
- Chivas USA: Carlos Degado’s First MLS Goal a Dream Come True
- LA Galaxy: Homegrown Raul Mendiola Confident in MLS Debut
- New England Revolution: U-13/14s Post Shutout Win Against PDA
- Sporting Kansas City: Erik Palmer-Brown Learns from MLS Debut
- SC Freiburg: Vardar Alum Stanko Signs 3-Year Deal (in German)
- Top Drawer Soccer: Development Academy Recap