U-13/14 Academy Showcase Kicks Off; Man U Cup Reward Awaits: The inaugural 2013-14 Development Academy season for the U-13/14 age group has reached its pinnacle moment with the first postseason U-13/14 Academy Showcase. ussoccer.com sat down with the Academy’s director of scouting, Tony Lepore, to preview the event, which runs from Friday, June 13, to Monday, June 16, at Grand Park in Westfield, Indiana. On the event’s final day, one Academy club will be rewarded with the opportunity to represent the USA at the 2014 Manchester United Premier Cup this August in England.
Academy Playoff Field, Draw Set for U-15/16 and U-17/18 Playoffs: The 2013-14 Development Academy Playoffs field is set and the groups have been determined for the June 23-27 event at Grand Park in Westfield, Indiana. Heading into the final weekend of the regular season, four clubs – Georgia United at the U-17/18s and three U-15/16 teams – earned the remaining spots. On Tuesday, the Development Academy conducted its playoff draw, naming the eight groups of four teams at each age level. One intriguing group will feature a rematch of last year’s U-17/18 final – defending champion New York Red Bulls and runner-up Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy in Group E.
Now on Instagram: The Development Academy continues to expand its social media presence with the creation of its new Instagram feed. Check it out, especially now with the Academy postseason in June and July.
For the latest Development Academy news, visit the ussoccer.com Academy home page, follow us on Twitter @ussoccer_acad and Instagram, or like us on Facebook. During the U-13/14 Academy Showcase, use the #MUPC2014 hashtag during the event as one club will be rewarded with a trip to the 2014 Manchester United Premier Cup. During the 2013-14 Development Academy Playoffs, make sure to follow the #AcademyPlayoffs hashtag.
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of June 7-9):
- West Conference: West Conference teams completed their regular season the previous weekend.
- Central Conference: Vardar garnered a weekend sweep against the Crew Soccer Academy Wolves in Mid-America Division play on Saturday, including a 3-2 win from its Playoff-bound U-15/16 team. Vardar’s Nash Popovic tallied two goals and Alex Ofeimu had the game’s first goal. The Vardar U-17/18s posted a 3-1 victory on the strength of a Bradley Centala brace and a last-minute goal from Sotirios Raphtis.
- East Conference: The New England Revolution U-17/18s rallied from an early one-goal deficit to earn a 2-1 lead against Empire Revolution on Sunday. Amadu Kanutek scored both New England goals in the 40th and 42nd minutes. New England heads into the Academy Playoffs with an 11-game unbeaten streak (10-0-1) to take second place in the Northeast Division at 14-5-3 and 2.05 points per game.
- Academy Player of the Week: Jack O’Brien of the Colorado Rush U-15/16s was named Academy Player of the Week for the weekend of May 31-June 1. O’Brien had three goals over the weekend, posting the team’s lone goal in a 1-1 draw against Texans SC Houston on May 31 and a brace during a 3-0 victory against the Texas Rush on June 1. O’Brien scored eight goals during the regular season to lead the Colorado Rush.
- Academy Referee of the Week: Kevin Broadley, a 26-year-old Grade 7 referee from North Carolina, was named Academy Referee of the Week for his work during a pair of U-15/16 games that featured Charlotte Soccer Academy against the Carolina Rapids on May 28 and Charlotte Soccer Academy against Weston FC on May 31. Broadley’s work in these matches earned two of the top three highest scores among Academy referees during this stretch. He has worked Academy matches for the past two years.
For all Development Academy results, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Alumni Featured in ‘One Nation. One Team. 23 Stories.’: Former IMG Academy forward Aron Johannsson and Seattle Sounders FC Academy alum and defender DeAndre Yedlin are featured as part of U.S. Soccer’s “One Nation. One Team. 23 Stories.” series – a detailed look at their careers and personalities as they prepare for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. (Full Series)
- Aron Johannsson: “My first thoughts that I look like Kevin Bacon, that’s pretty funny. I had never heard it before until the media in the U.S. started talking about it. I personally don’t see it, but a lot of people see it. That’s fine with me. He’s lucky to look like me.” – On his comparisons to actor Kevin Bacon
- DeAndre Yedlin: “Jimmy Fallon said I was ‘most likely to be Rihanna.’ I think most people would have been pretty salty about that, but I’m young, so I was like ‘wow, I’m on Jimmy Fallon!’” – On his hairstyle
Academy Alumni: Saad Lifts Sporting; Miazga and NYRB Blank Revs: Former Development Academy Player of the Year Soony Saad (Vardar, Michigan Wolves) scored a game-winning goal for Sporting Kansas City last Friday for a 2-0 victory against the Houston Dynamo. Elsewhere, New York Red Bulls homegrown player Matt Miazga made his first MLS start, helping the Red Bulls defense shut out the New England Revolution 2-0.
- Release: FC Golden State, Juventus Sport Club Join U-15/16 and U-17/18 Levels in 2014-15
- Release: Academy Postseason Features New Format in Build-Up to July 19 Final
- Release: Top U-13/14 Team to be Rewarded with Trip to 2014 Manchester United Premier Cup
- Video: Academy and YNT Benefit from Head-to-Head Duels
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Philadelphia Union
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Bethesda-Olney
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Video: Arriola Returns to YNT Picture with U.S. U-20 MNT
- Video: Steffen Plays Significant Role in Current U-20 Cycle
- Feature: Shipp’s Technical Prowess Benefiting Chicago Fire
- Feature: Q&A with Colorado Rapids Academy Product Shane O’Neill
- Feature: New England Revolution Academy’s Herivaux Basks in First-Team Run
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q&A: Developing Youth Players
- 2014 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Hunter Pinho | Jake Arteaga | Justen Glad | Orrin McKinze Gaines | Quentin Pearson | Jaret Townsend | Jonathan Navarro | Josh Burnett | Sebastian Padua | Elijah Rice | Dembakwi Yomba | Mukwelle Akale | Jackson Yueill | Ben Swanson | Christian Herrera | Justin Vom Steeg | Conor Donovan | Matias Fracchia
- 2013 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Tyler Adams | Jose Carranza | David Chavez | Lucas Del Rosario | Chase Gasper | Edwin Lara | JT Marcinkowski | Shaquell Moore | Maduabuchi Obinwa | Erik Palmer-Brown | Juan Pablo Torres
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- Check out the 2013-14 Academy Schedule page for all the latest results during the U-13/14 Academy Showcase and the 2013-14 Academy Playoffs and Championship at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age levels.
- The Associated Press: Development System Paying off for USA
- Chivas USA: Hugo Arellano Returns with International Experience
- Chivas USA: U-17/18 Team Clinches Spot in Academy Playoffs
- Chivas USA: U-13/14s Finish Regular Season with Draw
- Colorado Rapids: Homegrown Davy Armstrong Signs New Contract
- D.C. United: Academy Teams go Unbeaten in Last Regular Season Games
- Houston Dynamo: Academy U-15/16 and U-17/18 Teams Learn Playoff Opponents
- LA Galaxy: U-17/18s Claim Southwest Division Championship
- New England Revolution: U-17/18s Qualify for Academy Playoffs
- Top Drawer Soccer: Development Academy Recap