Academy U-14 West Regional Wraps Up at NTC: The Development Academy’s final regional event for the U-14 age group took place over the Nov. 15-16 weekend at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, California. The event included three competitive games for the respective clubs over that stretch. Additionally, ussoccer.com spoke with Academy midfielders Roberto Hategan of the San Juan Soccer Club and Carlos Anguiano of Chivas USA to chat about the event, training with the U.S. Under-14 Boys’ National Team and more.
Also on ussoccer.com:
- Academy U-14 Central Regional Highlights
- Academy U-14 Central Regional Photo Gallery
- Academy U-14 Central Regional Recap
- Academy U-14 East Regional Highlights
- Academy U-14 East Regional Photo Gallery
- Academy U-14 East Regional Recap
- Academy Coaching Spotlight: Growth Through Experience
Academy Winter Showcase Schedule to be Released Friday: The 2014 Development Academy Winter Showcase will be held from Nov. 29-Dec. 3 at Lakewood Ranch, Florida. The schedule featuring all U-16 and U-18 Academy teams will be released on Friday. The Winter Showcase runs Nov. 29 and 30 and Dec. 2 for U-18 teams and Nov. 30, Dec. 1 and 3 for U-16 teams. An Academy Select U-16 match (1998- and 1999-born players) will be held Monday, Dec. 1. This event runs in conjunction with the 2014 Nike International Friendlies, when the U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team faces England (Nov. 28), Australia (Nov. 30) and Brazil (Dec. 2).
For the latest Development Academy news, follow us on Twitter @ussoccer_acad and Instagram, or like us on Facebook. Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Nov. 15-16):
- West Conference: The LA Galaxy U-15s edged Arsenal FC 3-2 on Saturday in a matchup of the top two teams in the Southwest Division. Sam Hefter scored two goals and Ethan Zubak also chipped in a goal for the Galaxy, who improved to 6-1-3 (2.10 points per game). Christian Gutierrez and Alejandro Lara each scored a goal for Arsenal, which is second in the division at 8-3-2 (2.00 points per game).
- Central Conference: In the upper table of the Mid-America Division, Sockers FC’s U-18s earned a wild 3-2 victory against the Chicago Fire in a match that featured three goals in the final six minutes. Sockers FC appeared to be on its way to a victory carrying a 2-0 lead with goals from Jelani Pieters and Frank Bak. But the Fire’s Ryan Sierakowski and Collin Fernandez tallied back-to-back in the 85th and 86th minutes to tie the score at 2-2. In the 89th minute, Pieters scored his second goal of the match to help Sockers FC retake the lead and earn a much-needed three points, improving to 4-2-3 (1.67 points per game) this season. Sockers FC is even in points per game with the fourth-place Fire (5-2-5; 1.67 points per game) in the division.
- East Conference: The New England Revolution U-16 team traveled to Montreal on Sunday and earned a 1-0 victory. Alex Clarke, making his debut, came off the bench to score the game’s only goal in the 78th minute. The Revolution is in second place in the Northeast Division at 6-1-3 (2.10 points per game). The New England Revolution U-18s also played the Montreal Impact to a scoreless draw. Montreal is atop the Northeast Division at 8-0-2, and the Revolution U-18s moved to 3-5-2.
- Academy Player of the Week: Juventus Sport Club’s Marc Joshua was named Academy Player of the Week after scoring two goals to lead the U-16 team to a 3-2 victory against Crossfire Premier on Sunday, Nov. 16. Joshua leads Juventus with nine goals in 11 games this season as the team moved to 4-3-4 on the season in fourth place in the Northwest Division.
- Academy Referee of the Week: Samantha Martinez, a Grade 8 referee from southern California, was named Academy Referee of the Week for her work during the U-14 match between Merced Atlas and the Santa Barbara Soccer Club. This is Martinez’s first season in the Academy. She has also worked as an assistant referee for the U.S. Under-20 Women’s National Team this year.
For all Development Academy results, standings and more, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
U-20 MNT Goes 2-1-0 at Marbella Tournament: The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team capped off its three-game trip, posting a 2-1-0 record at the 2014 U-21 International National Teams Football Tournament in Marbella, Spain. The USA dropped a 1-0 decision to Canada in Tuesday’s finale. Prior to that game, former Concorde Fire forward Dembakwi Yomba scored the lone goal as the U.S. shut out Ireland 1-0 on Saturday and preceded by a thrilling 4-3 win against Russia’s U-21s on Nov. 12.
U-17 MNT Opens Three-Game Tournament in Chile: The U.S. U-17 MNT is in the midst of a three-game Copa Libertador Bernardo O’Higgins tournament in Chile, opening with a 2-2 draw against host Chile on Tuesday. PA Classics product Christian Pulisic had a goal and an assist. Richie Williams’ 20-player roster features 13 current Academy players and 19 who have ties to the Academy. The U-17 MNT faces Brazil on Thursday and Qatar on Saturday before focusing on the 2014 Nike International Friendlies one week later.
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- The Nov. 22-23 Academy weekend, the 12th of the 2014-15 season, features 48 games – 22 at the U-14 age group and a combined 26 games at the U-16 and U-18 age groups.
- 2014-15 Academy Schedule page
- Sports Illustrated: Emerson Hyndman: Growing up at Fulham
- mlssoccer.com: Seattle Sounders Academy Product Morris Soaks Up ‘Surreal’ MNT Debut
- Colorado Rapids: Shane O’Neill, Sheffield Wednesday U-21s Earn 1-0 Win
- Colorado Rapids: Former Academy Trio Leads Denver to Summit League Title
- D.C. United: Development Academy Update
- Houston Dynamo: Academy Alum Wall and Notre Dame Begin Quest for Back-to-Back Titles
- New England Revolution: Development Academy Update
- San Jose Earthquakes: Development Academy Update
- Seattle Sounders FC: Yedlin Returns from MNT Duty to Sounders for Postseason (video)
- Sporting Kansas City: Six Alumni Represent Teams at NCAA Tournament