CHICAGO (Dec. 12, 2014) – For a second straight Development Academy season, the U-14 age group will look forward to an important futsal portion in its schedule spanning Jan. 24-Feb. 8, 2015. The regional showcase format will include a guaranteed four futsal matches over a two-day stretch in eight regions.
The SoCal and Texas regional events take place Jan. 24-25; the Florida, Mid-America and NorCal regionals run Jan. 31-Feb. 1; and the New England, North Carolina and Pennsylvania/New Jersey events will be held Feb. 7-8.
Futsal is played between two teams of five players each, one of which is a goalkeeper. Games include two 20-minute halves with five minutes for halftime. Teams are permitted one timeout per half and no timeouts in any overtime period.
Futsal is an integral part of development as the game is played in tight spaces and requires quick thinking and strong technical skills on the ball. Several Development Academy players have had the experience of representing the U.S. Futsal National Team in 2014: Sporting Kansas City duo Nic Jaimes and John Leisman and Players Development Academy’s James Murphy.
2015 U-14 Futsal Regional Event Schedule
- SoCal – Los Angeles: LA Galaxy Soccer Center in Torrance, California (26 teams – 13 clubs): Albion SC, Arsenal, Central California Azteca, Chivas USA, FC Golden State, LA Galaxy, Los Angeles United Futbol Academy, Nomads SC, Pateadores, Real So Cal, San Diego Surf, Santa Barbara SC, Strikers FC
- Texas – Dallas: Advantage Sports Complex in Carrollton, Texas (18 teams – 9 clubs): Andromeda, Dallas Texans, FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo, Lonestar SC Academy, San Antonio Scorpions, Solar Chelsea SC, Texas Rush, Texans SC Houston
Jan. 31-Feb. 1:
- Florida – Miami: Futbox Futsal Center in Doral, Florida (16 teams – 8 clubs): Boca United, Chargers SC, IMG Soccer Academy, Jacksonville SC, Kendall SC, Orlando City, Tampa Bay United, Weston FC
- Mid-America – Chicago: Quest Multisport Complex in Chicago, Illinois (24 teams – 12 clubs): Chicago Fire, Chicago Magic PSG, Crew Soccer Academy, Crew Soccer Academy Wolves, FC Wisconsin Nationals, Indiana Fire, Internationals, Minnesota Thunder Academy, St. Louis Scott Gallagher Metro, St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri, Sockers FC, Vardar SC
- NorCal – Sacramento: Jackson Sports Academy in McClellan Park, California (24 teams – 12 clubs): Ballistic SC, De Anza Force, Diablo FC, EBU Bay Oaks, Juventus SC, Marin FC, Merced, Placer United, San Jose Earthquakes, San Juan SC, San Mateo County Stars, Santa Cruz Breakers
- New England: Insports Centers in Trumbull, Connecticut (24 teams – 12 clubs): Albertson, Beachside SC, Everton FC Westchester, FC Bolts Celtic, Met Oval, New England Revolution, New York Soccer Club, NYCFC, Oakwood SC, Revolution Empire, Seacoast United, World Class
- North Carolina – Charlotte: Carolina Courts in Indian Trail, North Carolina (22 teams – 11 clubs): Capital Area RailHawks Academy – CASL, Carolina Rapids, CESA, Charlotte Soccer Academy, Concorde Fire, Georgia United, North Carolina Fusion, Prince William Courage, Richmond United, South Carolina United Battery, Triangle Alliance
- New Jersey/Pennsylvania – Philadelphia: Competitive Edge Sports in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania (28 teams – 14 clubs): Baltimore Bays Chelsea, Bethesda-Olney, BW Gottschee, Cedar Stars, Continental FC DELCO, D.C. United, Lehigh Valley United, Match Fit, New York Red Bulls, NJCSA, PA Classics, Philadelphia Union, Players Development Academy, SAC United