CHICAGO (Feb. 6, 2015) – The U.S. Soccer Development Academy is returning to Grand Park in Westfield, Indiana, to hold the Academy U-13/14 Showcase and the Academy U-15/16 and U-17/18 Playoffs and Showcases.
In an accommodating setup to maximize the experience for Academy players and clubs, this year’s event will jointly be held from June 19-26. This new format was developed from feedback received from Academy clubs to eliminate the gap that existed after the U-13/14 Showcase, which ended one week earlier than the older-age Playoffs and Showcases in 2014.
The U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy Championships will be held at the U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, California, on July 16 and 18.
Benefits of a Combined Schedule
- First-class environment for all Academy clubs, players, scouts and spectators by combining efforts and resources to make this the premier event for elite youth soccer at all three age groups
- Combined scheduling allows coaches and technical directors to manage the schedule and attend all of their Academy games
- Reduced travel costs for clubs, especially coaches/directors not having to arrange two trips in two weeks (condenses event into eight total days)
- Reduced logistical challenges as teams can be in one location for one continuous period of time
- Opportunity for program-wide meetings/seminars with coaches and directors during rest day
- Balanced schedule that allows U.S. Soccer Scouts and Technical Advisors more coverage and opportunities to evaluate players and provide feedback to clubs
- Improves opportunity for player exposure to colleges and scouts by offsetting showcase and playoff games
The U-13/14 Showcase games will be held June 19-22 with June 21 as the rest day.
The U-15/16 and U-17/18 Playoffs take place on June 23, 24 and 26. The Showcase games for the older-age groups will be played over four days from June 22-25, with half of the teams resting on June 23 and the other half resting on June 24. The Showcase games are for U-15/16 teams that do not qualify for the Playoffs. If both the U15/16 and U-17/18 teams do not qualify for the Playoffs, the club will bring one combined team of (U-15/16/17/18) players. Clubs selecting a mixed-aged team will submit a roster to the Academy office before the event to ensure competition against similar-aged teams.
June Academy Postseason Schedule at Grand Park:
- Friday, June 19: 44 U-13/14 Showcase games
- Saturday, June 20: 44 U-13/14 Showcase games
- Sunday, June 21: Rest Day: Programming and meetings for Coaches and Technical Directors; travel day for U-15/16 and U-17/18 Playoff teams (if needed)
- Monday, June 22: 44 U-13/14 Showcase games (a.m. game times); 23 older-aged Showcase games (p.m. game times); training day for U-15/16 and U-17/18 Playoff teams
- Tuesday, June 23: 16 U-17/18 Playoff games; 16 U-15/16 Playoff games; 10 older-aged Showcase games
- Wednesday, June 24: 16 U-17/18 Playoff games; 16 U-15/16 Playoff games; 13 older-aged Showcase games
- Thursday, June 25: 23 older-aged Showcase games
- Friday, June 26: 16 U-17/18 Playoff games; 16 U-15/16 Playoff games
U.S. Soccer Development Academy partner Anthony Travel is available to assist clubs with their travel accommodations (hotel, airfare and rental vehicles). Currently, Anthony Travel is preparing the reservation system for the event. To be contacted as soon as the preferred tournament properties are available, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the event name. For additional information visit: https://www.anthonytravel.com/ussoccer/summer-showcase-playoffs
Grand Park, located 30 minutes north of downtown Indianapolis at 5 E. 191st St., in Westfield, Indiana, is one of the largest multi-purpose youth sports complex in the United States and features 31 multi-purpose fields over more than 400 acres.