Academy Coaching Spotlight: Inspiring the Next Generation: PA Classics Director of Coaching Steve Klein spoke with ussoccer.com about how he uses his Youth National Team coaching experience and the success of their alumni to inspire the next generation of Academy players.
Academy Alumni: Allen Notches Game-Winning Goal With First MLS Score: With the fourth week of the 2015 Major League Soccer season in the books, it was a former Development Academy player who stole the spotlight with not only the game-winning goal for his team, but also the first in his MLS career. Real Salt Lake’s Jordan Allen, who played for Empire Revolution and Real Salt Lake AZ in the Academy, notched the game-winner for Real Salt Lake on Sunday to give his team the 2-1 victory over Toronto FC.
Four New Clubs Added for 2015-16 Season: Three east coast-based clubs and one west coast club will be joining the U.S. Soccer Development Academy to open the 2015-16 season. Baltimore Armour from Maryland and Sacramento Republic from California will field teams at all age groups, which include U-13/14s, U-15/16s and U-17/18s, to become full members beginning this fall. In addition, Florida-based club Boca United, who currently fields a team in the Academy at the U-13/14 age group, will play the 2015-16 Academy season at all three age groups adding teams to the U-15/16 and U-17/18 levels. New York City FC will be joining the U-13/14 age group at the beginning of next season and become part of the Academy for the first time.
For the latest Development Academy results, information and more, visit academy.demosphere.com and the ussoccer Development Academy section. Follow the Academy on Twitter @ussoccer_acad, Instagram and Facebook.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (March 28-29):
- West Conference: With an 89th-minute goal, Spencer Held lifted Real So Cal U-17/18s past Strikers FC on Saturday. Held put Real So Cal on top early, scoring in the 19th minute and taking his team into the break with the advantage. In the second half, Strikers’ Gustavo Chavez notched his sixth goal of the season when he equalized the contest in the 76th minute. Held however, came through once again and completed his brace as the minutes dwindled down, giving his team the win and keeping it close to break into the playoffs pool. Held has now scored 24 of Real So Cal’s 61 goals this season.
- Central Conference: Nash Popovic had a terrific day for Vardar U-17/18s scoring two goals in the first half to secure his team a 2-0 victory over St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri. Popovic leads the team in goals scored this season with six.
- East Conference: Players Development Academy U-17/18s earned a 3-2 victory over PA Classics on Sunday behind a hat trick effort from Isaiah Young. Young gave PDA a 2-0 lead in the first half, yet PA Classics came storming back in second 45 to tie it all up at two goals apiece. Young wasn’t done and made his sure his third tally would come when his team most needed it, sealing the 3-2 win in the 70th minute.
Kendall SC U-17/18s and Orlando City SC met on Saturday for a Sunshine State showdown in South Florida. Kendall SC resulted victorious after Alexander Moztarzadeh scored the only goal of the contest in the 53rd minute. Kendall currently sits third in the Southeast Division and is one of nine Eastern Conference teams currently in the playoffs pool. Orlando City is also within reaching distance of jumping into playoff contention but for now is third in the wildcard pool with 1.79 points per game, trailing second place Real Salt Lake (1.89 ppg) and Crossfire Premiere (2.04 ppg).
- Academy Player of the Week: Bethesda-Olney U-17/18 forward Samson Sergi earned Academy Player of the Week honors after scoring a hat trick to his team to a 3-2 victory this past weekend over a strong PA Classic side.
For all Development Academy results, standings and more, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
- Men’s National Team
- U-23 Men’s National Team
- U.S. U-23 MNT Falls 1-0 to Denmark to Wrap Up European Camp
- Zach Pfeffer Joins U.S. U-23 MNT in Copenhagen
- Video: U-23 MNT vs. Bosnia-Herzegovina: Highlights - March 27, 2015
- U-23 Opens Up 2015 with 5-2 Win Over Bosnia U-21’s
- U-23’S To Play Mexico U-23’s on April 22 in Carson
- Gallery: U-23 MNT Holds First Olympic Qualifying Prep Camp in Bosnia
- U-20 Men’s National Team
- Chicago Fire: Fire Hail Harry Shipp's Display vs. Union
- Deseret News: Even-keeled Jordan Allen Excited to Keep Working for RSL
- FC Dallas: Academy Update 2015 Tournament Week Preview (Video)
- LA Galaxy: In-form Jose Villarreal Showing His Versatility
- mlssoccer.com: Jordan Allen Nominated for MLS Goal of the Week
- mlssocer.com: Kelyn Rowe and Harry Shipp named to MLS Team of the Week
- mlssoccer.com: NE Revs Kelyn Rowe wins MLS Player of the Week
- mlssoccer.com: MLS Young Guns Shine (Video)
- New England Revolution: Kelyn Rowe Breaks Down Both His Goals Against San Jose (Video)
- Philadelphia Union: U-16s open GA Cup against Palmeiras of Brazil
- Portland Timbers: Academy Looks to Creat Players for First Team (Part 2)
- Salt Lake Tribune: With Jordan Allen's Heroics, RSL's Youth Movement Starts to Take Hold
- socceroverthere.com: Luca de la Torre Scores Two Goals for Fulham's U-18 Team (Video)