USA vs. Canada
Feb. 5, 2016
StubHub Center, Carson, Calif.
Tonight’s MNT starting XI vs. Canada: David Bingham – Steve Birnbaum, Jermaine Jones, Matt Besler, Kellyn Acosta – Gyasi Zardes, Michael Bradley, Mix Diskerud, Lee Nguyen – Jordan Morris, Jozy Altidore
- Michael Bradley is making his 111th appearance for the MNT. The Budweiser Man of the Match from the win against Iceland enters the match with 20 career assists after providing two helpers in the 3-2 win. He is two behind Cobi Jones, who is second on the USA’s all-time list with 22 career assists.
- Jozy Altidore enters the games in fourth place on the all-time scoring list with 32 career goals, just two behind Eric Wynalda.
- Goalkeeper David Bingham is making his MNT debut. He is the fifth player in the January camp to earn his first cap and the seventh different goalkeeper to appear for the MNT since Feb. 8, 2015. (Rimando, Johnson, Yarbrough, Guzan, Howard, Robles).
- With his start, Gyazi Zardes has now appeared in 21 of the last 22 MNT matches dating back to January 2015. Bradley has the second most appearances in this stretch with 20, including tonight’s game.
- Altidore, Jermaine Jones and Zardes have the longest active consecutive games played streak. Each has started the last eight games. The last time neither of the three appeared for the MNT was on July 25, 2015, against Panama.
- Jones is making his first start at centerback since Feb. 8, 2015. He started both of the first two matches of 2015 in the center of the defense.
- Mix Diskerud is making his first start since July 10, 2015. Since then, he made four appearances off the bench. His last match was on Oct. 13, 2015, when he entered at halftime against Costa Rica at Red Bull Arena.
- Steve Birnbaum returns to the right back role he filled in his debut for the MNT a year ago when the U.S. lost 3-2 to eventual 2015 Copa America champion Chile in Santiago.
- All five players in camp from the 2014 FIFA World Cup team are in the starting XI: Altidore, Belser, Bradley, Jones and Diskerud.
- Kellyn Acosta, Steve Birnbaum, Jordan Morris and Lee Nguyen are making their second career starts for the MNT.
- Acosta and Nguyen made their first starts against Iceland (it was also Acosta’s MNT debut); Morris’s only previous start in eight appearances was on April 15, 2015 in a 2-0 win over Mexico in San Antonio. Birnbaum, who assisted and scored off the bench against Iceland, made his first star on Jan. 29, 2015 in Chile.
- Ten players representing nine different MLS clubs are on the starting XI: D.C., S.J., SKC, DAL, LA, TOR, NYCFC, NE, SEA.