Lineup Notes: USA Aims for Three Points vs. St. Vincent and the Grenadines
USA vs. St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Sept. 2, 2016
Semifinal Round - 2018 World Cup Qualifying
Arnos Vale Stadium
Kingstown, St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Live Broadcast: beIN Sports
Starting XI: Brad Guzan; DeAndre Yedlin, Geoff Cameron, Matt Besler, Kellyn Acosta; Graham Zusi, Kyle Beckerman, Alejandro Bedoya, Fabian Johnson; Jozy Altidore (capt.), Bobby Wood
- Seven of the 11 starters also started the MNT’s 6-1 win against St. Vincent on November 13: Jozy Altidore, Matt Besler, Geoff Cameron, Brad Guzan, Fabian Johnson, Bobby Wood, DeAndre Yedlin.
- In that match, Altidore tallied a brace, while Cameron, Johnson and Wood each added a goal apiece.
- Kellyn Acosta makes his first World Cup Qualifying appearance for the MNT. He is the 25th player utilized by Jurgen Klinsmann during the 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying cycle.
- Cameron and Yedlin are the only two MNT players to start all five 2018 World Cup Qualifying matches.
- Altidore and Wood have tallied a combined six goals in their three previous starts together for the MNT.
- The MNT captain for today’s match, Altidore sits tied with Landon Donovan for second on the MNT’s all-time World Cup Qualifying goals list with 13. They sit one behind leader Clint Dempsey. Altidore’s next goal would also move him past Eric Wynalda and into third-place on the MNT’s all-time goal scoring list.
- Altidore also earns a milestone 30th World Cup Qualifying cap, tying him for eighth all-time on the MNT with Cobi Jones, Earnie Stewart and teammate Tim Howard.
- Guzan makes his 10th appearance of 2016 and 11th all-time World Cup Qualifying appearance. The MNT goalkeeper has gone 7-2-0, earning clean sheets in five matches this year.
- Bedoya sits tied with Dempsey, Michael Bradley and Gyasi Zardes for the team lead in assists this year with three.
- Nine of the 11 starters were part of the MNT’s Copa America Centenario roster this summer.
- Today’s match in St. Vincent and the Grenadines marks the 70th different country the MNT has played in since its first match in Stockholm, Sweden on Aug. 20, 1916.