- About U.S. Soccer
- Federation Services
- Resource Center
- International Games
- International Clearance Process
- Youth Permission to Travel/Host
- Intermediaries (Players' Agents)
- Sports Envoy Program
- Soccer Organizations
- Bylaws and Policies
- Board of Directors
Committees and Task Forces
- Committees and Task Forces
- Board Committees
- Appeals Committee
- Athlete Council
- Credentials Committee
- Disability Soccer Committee
- Diversity Task Force
- Life Member
- Life Member Task Force
- Open Cup Committee
- Professional League Standards Task Force
- Professional League Task Force
- Referee Committee
- Rules Committee
- Sports Medicine Research, Education and Advisory Committee
- Task Force on Youth Issues
- Technical Committee
- Werner Fricker Sr Memorial Award Task Force
- 2019 Annual General Meeting
- Previous AGM Locations
- 2018 U.S. Soccer Presidential Election
- USOC Selection Procedures
- National Soccer Hall of Fame
- Media Services
- Recognize to Recover
- Official Sponsors
Werner Fricker Builder Award
About The Award
The Werner Fricker Builder Award is the top honor that can be bestowed upon an individual or individuals by the United States Soccer Federation. The award is named after the late U.S. Soccer President Werner J. Fricker, who was honored posthumously with the inaugural award in 2002, with his son Werner Jr., accepting the award on his behalf.
Read about past winners of the Werner Fricker Award.
Werner J. Fricker
Each year, the U.S. Soccer President appoints a selection committee to review the nominations and select a winner. The selection committee appointees are comprised of various representatives of U.S. Soccer and past award winners. The award criteria (see below) was amended in 2011 by the Werner Fricker Sr. Memorial Award Task Force.
The nomination and consideration process takes place annually with a maximum of one award given each year; however, the Selection Committee is not required to bestow the award annually. The nomination process is open to anyone who wishes to submit a nominee. All nominees must meet the following criteria in order to be considered for the award.
In order to be eligible an individual must meet the following criteria:
- Nominees can be an individual or group of individuals who is or are living or deceased.
- Nominees must have dedicated a minimum 20 years of service to the sport of soccer.
- For athletes, playing career can count towards 20 years of service but nominee must have gone on to contribute to the sport in another capacity.
- Service must stand out and distinguish the nominee(s) from others serving in the same capacity.
- Nominee(s) must have created or fostered programs or innovations that outlast their own active involvement in the sport.
- Nominee’s work has had a demonstrable impact on advancing the sport of soccer at the national level.
Nominations information for the 2019 Werner Fricker Builder Award will be posted in the coming months.
- Download: Werner Fricker Nomination Form
All nominations must be received via mail or e-mail. Any questions or nominations may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.