International Games Approval Process
hosting international matches
Any entity or person wishing to promote a match involving one or more foreign teams that charges an admission/ticket as a requirement to enter the match must first apply in advance to U.S. Soccer in order to receive sanctioning for such a match. The entity or person promoting such a match must be an Organization Member or club affiliated with U.S. Soccer. If not, the applicant must engage the services of a licensed FIFA Match Agent. The Federation shall grant such sanction unless it determines that holding or sponsoring the international soccer competition would be detrimental to the best interests of the sport.
- SUBMIT APPLICATION - The promoting entity or person must submit the “Application to Host International Matches” at least 30 days before the date of the match along with the following items:
- Application fee ($100 for each foreign team, $750 late fee if submitted less than 30 days prior to the event).
- Official Letter from the stadium confirming the facility is on hold for the date of the event.
- Official letters from the foreign teams involved confirming their participation in the event.
- SUBMIT PERFORMANCE BOND - Final approval will be granted upon receipt of a performance bond in the form of a certified or cashier’s check made payable to “U.S. Soccer” or by wire transfer at least 21 days prior to the match. The amount of the performance bond is as follows:
- Tier 1 - $25,000 per match: Any match involving a foreign Men’s National Team
- Tier 2 - $20,000 per match: All-Star Matches in which any registered player is from a foreign professional club that plays in the First Division of their domestic league; Any match involving a foreign professional club that has participated in either of the last two editions of the UEFA Champions League tournament (the current tournament, if in session at the time of submitting the International Games application, would count as one of the two relevant editions)
- Tier 3 - $7,500 per match: Any match involving a foreign professional club that currently plays in the First Division of their domestic league and did not participate in either of the last two editions of the UEFA Champions League tournament (the current tournament, if in session at the time of submitting the International Games application, would count as one of the two relevant editions); All-Star Matches in which any player is a retired professional player
- Tier 4 - $3,750 per match: Any match involving a foreign professional club that currently does not play in the First Division of their domestic league; Any match involving a foreign Women’s National Team; All-Star Matches in which all players play on domestic amateur teams
- An estimate of anticipated percentage payments that will be due the Federation, CONCACAF and FIFA;
- Any other amount as the Federation deems appropriate to ensure the financial integrity of the International Match or Tournament (such estimate to be at the sole discretion of the Federation). The Federation has the authority to require a bond in excess of the figures listed in this Section to ensure the financial integrity of an International Match or International Tournament
- SUBMIT REFEREE FEE - U.S. Soccer will schedule the referees for the match once conditional approval is granted. It is the responsibility of the promoter to pay the referee fees based on the most current schedule of international game fees for referees and assistant referees. Referee fees will include travel expenses and meal per diems (if necessary airfare and hotel). Final approval will be granted upon receipt by the Federation of the referee fee in the form of a certified or cashier’s check made payable to “U.S. Soccer” or by wire transfer at least 21 days prior to the match.
A full version of the U.S. Soccer operating procedures for International Games, application and other documents can be found by clicking on this link.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.