FC Dallas (MLS) 2, Colorado Rapids (MLS) 1 (aet)
Looking to make their first Quarterfinal appearance since 2006, the Colorado Rapids took the lead in the 38th minute when Marlon Hairston served a quick ball across the box for Dominque Badji who roofed his effort at the back post. Dallas responded in the 64th minute when Fabian Castillo went on a brilliant run at midfield, nutmegging a Rapids defender before feeding Mauro Diaz for a tap-in in the 64th minute. The goal forced extra time where the home side would eventually prevail as Maxi Urruti broke into the box on the right before his deflected shot sneaked inside the near post in the 96th minute. The win pushes FC Dallas into a Modern Era record 15th Quarterfinal appearance and setting up a Texas Derby as the club will visit the Houston Dynamo on July 20.
FC Dallas (MLS) vs. Colorado Rapids (MLS)
Time/Location: 7:30 p.m. CT; Toyota Stadium; Frisco, Texas
FC Dallas Best Finish: Champions (1997)
Colorado Rapids Best Finish: Runners-up (1999)
Broadcast: U.S. Soccer YouTube
- Two goals from Carlos Lizarazo saw FC Dallas draw 2-2 with OKC Energy FC before beating the USL side 6-5 on penalty kicks in Fourth Round play on June 15.
- The Colorado Rapids used an 84th minute goal from Dillon Serna to earn a 1-0 victory against the Colorado Springs Switchbacks in their Fourth Round match on June 15.
- This is the third meeting between the two clubs in the U.S. Open Cup and first since 2004. FC Dallas defeated Colorado 1-0 in the 2002 competition and 3-0 in 2004 – both matches were Quarterfinals.
- FC Dallas head coach Oscar Pareja was the head coach of the Colorado Rapids from 2012-2013.
- The game will mark the first meeting between FC Dallas and Colorado this season.
- The winner of the match will visit the winner of the Houston Dynamo/Colorado Rapids winner in the Quarterfinals.