FC Tucson (PDL) 0, Arizona United SC 5 (USL)
While FC Tucson was the home side, Arizona United SC was dominant from start to finish in a 5-0 victory at Kino North Stadium on Wednesday night. Luke Rooney, Long Tan, and Sam Garza all found the back of the net to give the USL side a commanding 3-0 lead going into halftime. After the break, Tyler Blackwood extended the lead with an individual effort in the 48th minute, before Tan’s flick-on header in the 68th minute saw the visitors earn an emphatic 5-0 win. With the victory, Arizona United will host fellow USL side Colorado Springs Switchbacks in Third Round play on June 1.
Arizona United SC (USL) at FC Tucson (PDL)
Time/Location: 7:30 p.m. MST; Kino North Stadium; Tucson, Ariz.
Arizona United SC Previous Appearances (Best Finish): Third appearance (2014: Fourth Round)
FC Tucson Previous Appearances (Best Finish): Fourth appearance (2013: Third Round)
- Arizona United and FC Tucson clash after both sides were defeating by 2015’s Cinderella club, Chula Vista FC. Tucson fell to the amateur side 2-1 in extra time in second round play, while Arizona United fell 3-0 in the following round.
- Arizona United is coached by two-time MLS Cup winner Frank Yallop. Most recently, Yallop led the Chicago Fire to back-to-back semifinal Open Cup appearances in 2014 and 2015.
- Eight games into the season, Arizona United sits 2-3-3 and in 11th place in the USL’s Western Conference.
- FC Tucson advanced to the second round by virtue of two goals from Minh Vu and another from Dom Pappa in a 3-0 victory against San Nicolas FC on May 11.
- FC Tucson qualified for their second-straight tournament after winning the PDL’s Mountain Division with an 8-4-2 record in 2016.