Arizona United SC (USL) 0, Colorado Springs Switchbacks (USL) 3
In the only all-USL match-up of the Third Round, Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC knocked off Arizona United SC to the tune of 3-0. Seth Vercollone was the hero for the visitors as his brace (’39, ’83) bookended a 59th minute Aaron King strike. Switchbacks FC returns to the Rocky Mountain State to face the Colorado Rapids at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park on June 15.
Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC (USL) at Arizona United SC (USL)
Time/Location: 7:30 p.m. MST; Peoria Sports Complex; Peoria, Ariz.
Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC Previous Appearances: Second appearance (2015: Fourth Round)
Arizona United SC Previous Appearances (Best Finish): Third appearance (2014: Fourth Round)
- The only all-USL matchup of the Fourth Round, both sides have already met twice this year, with Colorado Springs winning 2-0 on April 9 and 3-1 on May 21.
- Arizona United used a brace from Long Tan as well as goals from Luke Rooney, Sam Garza and Tyler Blackwood to earn a 5-0 Second Round victory against FC Tucson on May 18.
- Colorado Springs advanced to the Third Round thanks to a 13th minute goal from Martin Maybin in the side’s 1-0 defeat of Harpo’s FC on May 18.
- Arizona United is coached by two-time MLS Cup winner Frank Yallop. Yallop led the LA Galaxy to a runners-up finish in the 2006 U.S. Open Cup and more recently, coached the Chicago Fire to back-to-back Semifinal appearances in 2014 and 2015.
- Switchbacks FC are coached by former U.S. international Steve Trittschuh, who helped the Colorado Rapids to a U.S. Open Cup Semifinal appearance in 1996.
- Switchbacks FC enter the match with a 6-2-1 mark (19 pts.), placing them third in the USL’s Western Conference, while Arizona United sits 2-5-3 (9 pts.) and 13th in the West.
- The winner will face the Colorado Rapids in Fourth Round play on June 15.