Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL) 1, FC Cincinnati (USL) 0
It didn’t take long for the Tampa Bay Rowdies to energize its home crowd as Neill Collins sent a perfectly weighted ball toward a sprinting Georgi Hristov. Hristov controlled the ball, using his skill to get around a couple FC Cincinnati defenders to slam it past goalkeeper Mitchell Hildebrandt in the 11th minute. Cincinnati looked for the equalizer for the remainder of the game, but the home side’s defense stood tall to hold on for the 1-0 win. The Rowdies will travel north to face Columbus Crew SC in Fourth Round U.S. Open Cup action on June 15.
FC Cincinnati (USL) at Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL)
Time/Location: 7:30 p.m. ET; Al Lang Stadium; St. Petersburg, Fla.
FC Cincinnati Previous Appearances (Best Finish): First appearance (Third Round: 2016)
Tampa Bay Rowdies Previous Appearances (Best Finish): Sixth appearance (Fourth Round: 2013)
- A USL expansion team in 2016, FC Cincinnati won its first U.S. Open Cup match thanks to goals from Omar Cummings and Jimmy McLaughlin to defeat Indy Eleven NPSL 2-1 on May 18.
- The team is coached by former U.S. captain John Harkes, who won the Open Cup twice as a member of D.C. United (1996) and Columbus Crew SC (2002).
- Tampa Bay returns to the Open Cup looking to bounce back from its 1-0 defeat to the Pittsburgh Riverhounds at this stage in 2015.
- The Rowdies come into the match owning a 3-2-3 record (12 pts.), which puts them sixth in the NASL’s Spring Season table. FC Cincinnati sits 6-2-2 (20 pts.), placing the team third in the USL’s Eastern Conference.
- The winner will visit Columbus Crew SC in Fourth Round play on June 15.