Rochester Rhinos (USL) 2, Lansdowne Bhoys FC (N.Y.) 0
After an uneventful first half, the Rochester Rhinos would come out with vengeance and took the lead in the 60th minute as Andre Fortune II tallied off a free kick from 22 yards out. Just 10 minutes later, the Rhinos put the game away as Christian Volesky sent a rocket into the back of the net in the 70th minute, bringing to end the dreams of Open Division qualifier Lansdownes Bhoys. The Rochester Rhinos will host MLS side New York Red Bulls in the Fourth Round on June 15.
Lansdowne Bhoys FC (N.Y.) at Rochester Rhinos (USL)
Time/Location: 7 p.m. ET; Rhinos Stadium; Rochester, N.Y.
Lansdowne Bhoys FC Previous Appearances: First Appearance (Third Round: 2016)
Rochester Rhinos Previous Appearances: 21 appearances (Champions: 1999)
- Lansdowne Bhoys used goals from Craig Purcell and Daryl Kavanaugh to defeat the USL’s Pittsburgh Riverhounds 2-0 in Third Round Play on May 18. Prior to that match, they advanced to the Second Round thanks to goals from Ovan Oakley and Ciaran McGuigan’s extra time penalty kick, to dispatch the PDL’s Long Island Rough Riders in First Round play on May 11.
- Lansdowne Bhoys qualified via the Open Division by defeating Newtown Pride FC 3-0 on October 17 and Worcester FC 5-0 on November 14.
- Rochester eased into the Third Round as an Asani Samuels hat trick led the side to a 7-0 thrashing of Southie FC in Second Round play on May 18.
- The Rochester Rhinos return to the Open Cup after winning the USL championship in 2015.
- The Rhinos continue their Pro Era appearance record in the tournament, making their 21st straight appearance.
- Rochester’s 1999 championship marks the last time a non-MLS club won the title.
- In 2015, Rochester advanced to the Fourth Round, where they fell 3-1 on penalty kicks to eventual finalist Philadelphia Union on June 16 in Chester, Pa.
- Should Rochester win, they would host the New York Red Bulls in Fourth Round play. Should Lansdowne Bhoys win, they would visit the Red Bulls. Either match would be played June 15.