Des Moines Menace (PDL) 1, San Antonio FC (USL) 2
San Antonio FC went on the road in the Third Round and are heading back from Iowa with a dramatic victory under their belts. The visitors came from behind against Des Moines Menace in the second half, with goals from Sam McBride and Jacques Francois earning the win for San Antonio. The Menace were out in front through Christian Flath’s free kick but couldn’t hold the lead. McBride banged home a free kick of his own before Francoise sealed the match. Next up for San Antonio: A Lone Star State derby with Houston Dynamo in the Fourth Round on June 15.
San Antonio FC (USL) at Des Moines Menace (PDL)
Time/Location: 7:30 p.m. CT; Valley Stadium; West Des Moines, Iowa
San Antonio FC Previous Appearances (Best Finish): First appearance (Third Round: 2016)
Des Moines Menace Previous Appearances (Best Finish): Ninth appearance (Fourth Round: 2005)
- San Antonio FC won its first-ever Open Cup match, using a brace from Jacques Francois and a single marker from Jason Johnson to defeat FC Corinthians of San Antonio 3-1 on May 18.
- Making their fourth-straight appearance in the tournament, Des Moines pulled a “Cupset” in Second Round play on May 18 as Sean Hoek and Elvir Ibisevic’s second half goals led the side to a 2-0 win against the USL’s Tulsa Roughnecks. Previously, Des Moines utilized goals from Carlos Contreras and Heath Preston to edge FC Wichita 2-1 in First Round play on May 11.
- The Des Moines Menace qualified by winning the PDL’s Heartland division with an 11-2-1 record in 2015.
- San Antonio FC enters the match with a 2-4-4 record (10 pts.), placing them 12tg in the USL’s Western Conference, while Des Moines has a perfect 2-0-0 record (6 pts.), putting them atop the PDL’s Heartland Division.
- The winner of the match will visit the Houston Dynamo in Fourth Round play on June 15.