Wilmington Hammerheads (USL) 2 at Miami FC (NASL) 1
It might have been Miami FC’s first-ever U.S. Open Cup match, but the Wilmington Hammerheads could have cared less. Visiting FIU Stadium, it took the USL side just two minutes to find the back of the net when Jeff Michaud tucked his shot from outside the box inside the left post. Wilmington kept the hammer down early when Justin Moose was played into the box on the right before firing his shot inside the far post. Miami FC struck back when Jaime Chavez got on the end of a ball over the top and slotted his effort past Eric Ati. Miami had the chance to equalize when they earned a penalty kick in the 81st minute, but Dario Cvitanich was thwarted by Ati as he dived to his right to secure the 2-1 win. With the victory, Wilmington moves on to a Fourth Round date at Real Salt Lake on June 14.
Wilmington Hammerheads (USL) at Miami FC (NASL)
Time/Location: 8 p.m. ET; FIU Stadium; Miami, Fla.
Wilmington Hammerheads Previous Appearances (Best Finish): 14th appearance (Quarterfinals: 2003, 2009)
Miami FC Previous Appearances (Best Finish): First appearance (Third Round: 2016)
- Wilmington arrived in the Third Round after trouncing Miami Fusion 6-0 in Second Round play on May 18.
- The Wilmington Hammerheads return for their 14th Open Cup appearance, looking to make amends for their 5-3 shootout defeat to Chattanooga FC in last year’s tournament.
- Led by Italian legend Alessandro Nesta, Miami FC will play its first Open Cup match against Wilmington on Wednesday.
- Nesta won the Coppa Italia three times over the course of his career – twice with Lazio in 1998 and 2000 and once with A.C. Milan in 2003.
- Wilmington enters the match with a 3-4-3 record (12 pts.), placing them 11th in the USL’s Eastern Conference, while Miami FC is 1-4-3 (6 pts.), placing them 10th in the NASL’s Spring Season table.
- The winner will visit Real Salt Lake in Fourth Round play on June 14.