Futsal Schedule Includes Eight Regional Events in Major Markets
CHICAGO (Jan. 29, 2014) – The U.S. Soccer Development Academy’s U-13/14 age group begins the futsal portion of its schedule, beginning with the Feb. 1-2 weekend.
This Saturday and Sunday, 11 Academy teams will compete in a regional event at the NorCal Courts in Martinez, Calif., and another eight U-13/14 Academy teams will take part in a futsal event at the Orlando Sports Center in Florida.
The showcase futsal format means that each Academy team will be guaranteed four futsal matches over the two-day stretch.
Later this month, regional futsal events will be held in Chicago, Los Angeles and North Carolina over the Feb. 8-9 weekend, followed by three Feb. 22-23 regional events in Austin, Texas; King of Prussia, Pa.; and New Milford, Conn.
“Futsal has a ton of momentum right now,” Development Academy Director of Scouting Tony Lepore said of the game’s interest and value. “You need to have strong technique in tight spaces, awareness and quick decision making. Players have three times as many touches on average – if not more – than the outdoor game, and the space is smaller, so it’s much faster thinking. It’s a really valuable platform. We’re hoping that people see the benefits and will also apply futsal to their U-15/16 and U-17/18 programs. The benefits are there for all of the age groups.”
Futsal is played between two teams of five players each, one of which is a goalkeeper. Games include two 20-minute halves with five minutes for halftime. Teams are permitted one timeout per half and no timeouts in any overtime period.
2014 U-13/14 Futsal Schedule
- NorCal Courts in Martinez, Calif. (11 teams)
- Orlando Sports Center in Orlando, Fla. (8 teams)
- Chicago Futsal Academy in Melrose Park, Ill. (10 teams)
- LA Galaxy Soccer Center in Torrance, Calif. (12 teams)
- Carolina Courts in Concord, N.C. (9 teams)
- Austin Sports Center in Cedar Park, Texas (9 teams)
- Competitive Edge Sports in King of Prussia, Pa. (11 teams)
- Connecticut Sports Arena in New Milford, Conn. (12 teams)