Before a game, you need music that gets you pumped up. Something that gets you in the right frame of mind before a big match. But it's a tough call on what to play. Rock? Rap? Pop? Techno?
As a 5'5" front-runner, Corey Ashe has pace that reminds U.S. Under-17 Men's National Team head coach John Ellinger of former U-17 superstar DaMarcus Beasley. He serves as one of the team's co-captains, and is also one of the leading scorers. Ashe entered U.S. Soccer's full-time residency program in Sept. 2001, and has previously spent time with the U.S. Under-16s and traveled to Mexico with the U.S. Under-14 National Team in 2000.
Down the road, U.S. Soccer will hopefully count on him for great things on the field. But for now, we've just asked him for five of his favorite albums of all-time. [Editor's Note: It turns out young Mr. Ashe's music taste is beyond his years, and we sincerely appreciate the fact that he didn't list any boy bands.]
1) Miles Davis, "The Whole Miles Davis Thing"
"This is a great CD that I listen to when I need to relax and concentrate. I feel that when I'm stressed or have a lot on my mind, I need to listen to jazz to feel at ease and gather my thoughts."
2) Marvin Gaye, "Marvin Gaye's Greatest Hits"
"Marvin's CD is a positive influence to society. He never really liked war and felt that there was no need for it. He was a civil rights activist who opposed war and believed in peace. His words of wisdom create a positive influence for me; it allows me to always think positive."
3) Trin-i-tee 5:7 (self-titled)
"Trin-I-tee is a gospel group who provides me with power and encouragement. I constantly learn about the Lord and become more knowledgeable about his kingdom. I believe that the more I know about the Lord, the more successful I will be."
4) DMX, "The Great Depression"
"DMX is an artist who I listen to when I need to become motivated for a game or a special event. My willingness to be the best rises. I feel when listening to his words I am given an extra edge to succeed when competing."
5) Outkast, "Stankonia"
"Outkast is a unique band that I listen to when I feel sad or when I want to be in a better state of mind. Their unique funky style allows me to smile and to feel better about myself."
Table of Contents
1) Armchair Midfielder (U.S. Soccer's Chevy 2001 Athletes of the Year)
2) Word Association (w/ MNT forward Ante Razov)
3) D.J. for a Day (w/ U-17 MNT forward Corey Ashe)
4) Queries and Anecdotes (w/ WNT defender Kate Sobrero)
5) Big Woman on Campus (w/ U-21 WNT forward Christie Welsh)
6) Superstar!!! (w/ MNT midfielder Earnie Stewart)
7) Mark That Calendar (WNT vs. Mexico - Jan. 12)
8) From the Bleachers (w/ frequent-flying U.S. Soccer fan Andy Mead)
9) "You Don't Know Jack (Marshall)" (Gold Cup trivia)
***HOW'S OUR WRITING?***
We want feedback. No, really. Positive, negative, indifferent--we take all kinds. Reach us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.