LA Galaxy, Pateadores Meet in Key SoCal Clash: The LA Galaxy U-17/18 team faces Pateadores this Saturday in a matchup of two of the top SoCal Division teams in the West Conference. The Galaxy (4-1-0, 12 points in SoCal) and Pateadores (3-2-1, 10 points) are second and third, respectively, in the division behind Chivas USA (5-1-1, 16 points). But with both teams having played fewer matches than Chivas USA, Saturdayâ€™s game would put either team inÂ a better position to nab the divisionâ€™s top spot.
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Brandon Aubrey scored a 64th-minute goal and the Dallas Texans U-15/16 team defeated Texans SC Houston 1-0 on Sunday to maintain its unbeaten record this season. With the win, the Texans improve to 11-0-6.
- Alonso Gallegos and David Robledo each had a goal as the FC Dallas U-17/18 team garnered its 13th win in 16 games with a 2-0 victory against the Texas Rush on Saturday. FC Dallas is in first place in the Texas Division with an 11-1-1 record, 13-1-2 overall.
- The Richmond Kickers posted a two-game sweep of the Richmond Strikers on Saturday. Grayson Smith scored three goals to lead the Kickers U-15/16 team to a 4-2 win, while Zachary Harris scored the lone goal for the Kickers U-17/18 team during a 1-0 victory.
- Eli Dent of the South Carolina United Battery U-17/18 team scored three goals for a 5-3 victory against the Richmond Strikers. South Carolina scored four goals in an 11-minute span from the 56th minute to the 66th minute, with Dent providing the final two goals during that stretch.
- Nestor Jaramilloâ€™s 59th-minute goal proved to be the difference as the South Carolina United Battery U-17/18 team shut out McLean Youth Soccer 1-0 on Saturday. South Carolina United Battery leads the Southeast Division, while McLean Youth Soccer is atop the Atlantic Division.
- The De Anza Force U-17/18 team posted two 1-0 victories to move into first place in the Northwest Division. De Anza Force posted a 1-0 win against Crossfire Premier on Saturday, followed by a 1-0 win against previous division leader Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday. Nicholas Lima had a goal against Crossfire Premier and Edson Cardona had the only tally against Seattle Sounders FC.
- Led by John Chronopoulosâ€™ two goals, the Santa Cruz Breakers Academy U-17/18 team defeated Seattle Sounders FC 4-0 on Saturday. Chronopoulos has 16 goals in 17 games this season, moving into a third-place tie with Daniel Garcia (FC Dallas U-17/18) among the Academyâ€™s goal scoring leaders.
- Dalton Pando scored three goals as the California Development Academy U-15/16 squad earned a 5-0 victory against Crossfire Premier on Thursday, Feb. 2. Pando is averaging more than a goal per game, tallying six in five matches this season.
Week 20 Player of the Week: Jorge Ruiz, Forward, Chivas USA
Jorge Ruiz of the Chivas USA U-15/16 team scored a goal to start a comeback that led to a 3-3 draw against Strikers FC on Saturday at Orange West College in West Conference action. Chivas USA trailed 3-1 in the second half before Ruiz netted a 70th-minute goal to cut the deficit to one, and teammate Ryo Fujii tied the score at 3-3 in the 82nd minute. Ruiz, a 1997 birth year playing up a level,Â is tied for fourth on Chivas USA with six goals in 13 matches played this season.
Referee of the Week: Bernhard Hosu
Bernhard Hosu earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance in the U-15/16 matchup between Real So Cal and Pateadores. Hosu, a referee from California-South,Â has worked during 19 Academy games over the past year. He also has officiated in MLS preseason matches, along with PDL, USL PRO and W-League games.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES: