ACROSS THE ACADEMY
A Weekly Summary of Development Academy News â€“ Feb. 24, 2011
U.S. U-17 MNT Qualifies FIFA U-17 World Cup, Prepares for Semifinal: The U.S. Under-17 Menâ€™s National Team continued its streak of being the only nation to qualify for all FIFA U-17 World Cups withÂ a 3-2 victory against El Salvador on Tuesday in the quarterfinals of the 2011 CONCACAF U-17 Championship. The U-17 Men were spurred by goals from Alejandro Guido, Mario Rodriguez and Marc Pelosi to earn a spot at the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Mexico. The team faces Jamaica in their semifinal at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, Feb. 25, live on ESPN3.com and ESPN Deportes. The final and third-place matches will take place on Sunday.
East Conference Ready for Action: The second half of the season kicks off on Feb. 27 in the East Conference, with Albertson SC, FC Westchester, Oakwood Soccer Club and South Central Premier all playing games. This will be the first matches for the teams since the 2010 Winter Showcase in December.
McLean Youth Soccer To Face Second and Third Place Teams in Atlantic Division: Currently in first place in the U-15/16 Atlantic Division, McLean Youth Soccer will have to work hard to maintain its position during the weekend. McLean faces third-place North Meck SC on Saturday, Feb. 26, and second-place Charlotte Soccer Academy on Sunday, Feb. 27, in a battle between the top two squads.
Development Academy and YNT Twitter Reaches 1,000 Followers: U.S. Soccerâ€™s Twitter feed geared specifically toward fans of U.S. youth national teams and the Development Academy reached 1,000 followers on the same day that the U-17 Men qualified for the 2011 FIFA World Cup. Follow @ussoccer_ynt to keep up with YNT and Academy news and notes during an important year for the programs.
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Home teams did exceptionally well on the weekend, dropping only four matches of 22 games and posting a 14-4-4 record, improving the overall record to 161-155-88 for the season.
- A U-15/16 Sunday clash in the West Conference saw two top teams face off as the Pateadores and Seattle Sounders, second and first place in their respective divisions, battled to a 2-2 tie.Â
- The U-17/18 Pateadores (4-1-2) fell 2-1 to the Seattle Sounders (11-3-4), who also top the Northwest Conference in the older age group.
- North Carolina Fusion teams were undefeated on the weekend, with the U-15/16 team defeating McLean Youth Soccer 3-0 and Richmond Strikers 2-0, while the U-17/18 team earned a 2-0 win against McLean and a 3-1 win against Richmond.
WEEK EIGHT PEAK PERFORMERS
U-15/16 Performer of the Week: Alexander Olofson â€“ Midfielder, CASL Chelsea FC Academy
Olofson guided CASL Chelsea FC Academy to a 1-0-1 weekend, with a win against McLean and a tie against Richmond Strikers. He started both games and earned the highest scout rating of any player in his age group on both days.
U-17/18 Performer of the Week: Jonathan Campbell â€“ Defender, North Carolina Fusion
Campbell led the North Carolina Fusion to victories against McLean Youth Soccer and Richmond Strikers, going the full 90 minutes in both matches.
Referee of the Week: Daniel Fitzgerald
Fitzgerald earns Referee of the Week honors after officiating the U-17/18 match between North Carolina Fusion and McLean Youth Soccer. A Grade 3 referee from North Carolina, Fitzgerald officiates Womenâ€™s Professional Soccer, United Soccer Leagues and Major League Soccer preseason.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES
Matt Kassel Ready for Season with New York Red Bulls: Former New York Red Bulls Academy player Matt Kassel was given the opportunity to sign directly with the Red Bulls after finishing high school. The young midfielder opted to go to college, attending Maryland for three seasons before signing a contract with New York, where he will play during the 2011 MLS season.
Chris Agorsor Signs with Philadelphia Union: Former Baltimore Bays striker and inaugural U-17/18 Player of the Year Chris Agorsor joined the Philadelphia Union after the Major League Soccer squad acquired his rights in a weighted lottery. Agorsor joins MLS after training stints in Europe and recovering from a knee injury suffered while at Virginia. Capping off a standout performance at Finals Week, Agorsor led his team to the 2008-07 Development Academy championship, earning Man of Match honors in the Baysâ€™ 4-2 win against LAFC.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Get to Know Midfielder Jordan Allen â€“ U.S. Soccer (video)Â
- Get to Know Goalkeeper Fernando PiÃ±a â€“ U.S. Soccer (video)Â
- Get to Know Defender Zach Carroll â€“ U.S. Soccer (video)Â
- Get to Know Defender Kellyn Acosta â€“ U.S. Soccer (video)Â
- Rodriguez Ready to Shine on the CONCACAF Stage â€“Â U.S. SoccerÂ
- Cicciarelli Named Gatorade Illinois Boys Soccer Player of the Year â€“ Pjstar.comÂ
- Get to Know Aaron Kovar of Seattle Sounders Academy â€“ Prost AmerikaÂ
- Youth Soccer Development Debate: The Case for More Practices, Fewer Games â€“ National Soccer WireÂ
- Former RBNY Academy Midfielder Matt Kassel Ready to Pursue Professional Career â€“ Big Apple SoccerÂ
- En Route: Seattle Sounders Academyâ€™s DeAndre Yedlin â€“ Goal.com