ACROSS THE ACADEMY
A Weekly Summary of Development Academy News â€“ March 31, 2011
U.S. U-20 Menâ€™s National Team Aims for Quarterfinals: The U.S. Under-20 Menâ€™s National TeamÂ defeated Suriname 4-0 in the teamâ€™s first game of the 2011 CONCACAF U-20 Championship. Former Dallas Texans forward Conor Doyle scored the third goal and Crossfire Premier midfielder Kelyn Rowe scored the fourth goal in the win. The U.S. U-20 MNT, led by 10 players who previously spent time with Academy clubs, faces Panama at 6 p.m. ET, on April 2 in the second group match. If the U.S. wins or ties against Panama, the team will advance to the quarterfinals. The quarterfinal winners will advance to the 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup.
All Four Conferences in Action for First Time since Winter Showcase: The Development Academy will have a busy weekend with 96 games scheduled. All four conferences will be in play for the first time since the 2010 Winter Showcase in December.
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:Â
- North Carolina opponents, NC Fusion and Charlotte Soccer Academy, faced off this past weekend in divisional play. The NC Fusion teams walked away with aÂ tie at the U-15/16 age groups and aÂ win for the U-17/18s.Â
- The Detroit Derby: The U-15/16 Vardar team won 1-0 and tied at the U-17/18 age group against Derby County Wolves.Â
- St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri traveled to Chicago and Milwaukee for the first trip of the spring. The club went 3-0-1 against Sockers FC and FC Milwaukee.
- The U-17/18 Oakwood Soccer Club climbed three places in the Northeast Division after a 4-1 win against Match Fit Chelsea on Saturday and a 3-1 victory against NJSA 04 on Sunday.
- Pateadores went undefeated in both age groups during the weekend.. The U-15/16 team earned a 5-1 win against the LA Galaxy and a 4-1 win against Chivas USA. The U-17/18 team defeated the LA Galaxy 2-0 and posted a 3-3 draw against Chivas USA.
- Maikon Orellana posted a hat trick for the U-17/18 Real Salt Lake squad in the 4-0 win against Nomads SC.
U-15/16 Performer of the Week: Joseph Julius â€“ Forward, PA Classics
Julius started both games for PA Classics and scored a total of four goals to guide the team to a 1-0-1 record against the New York Red Bulls and Players Development Academy. Julius grabbed a hat trick against the Red Bulls in their 4-1 victory, and scored the game-tying goal in a 2-2 draw against PDA.
U-17/18 Performer of the Week: Chris Somerville â€“ Forward, Baltimore Bays Chelsea
Somerville scored four goals in Baltimore Bays Chelseaâ€™s two matches this past weekend. Somervilleâ€™s hat trick led the way for Baltimoreâ€™s 4-0 win against Empire United and he scored the lone goal in the 1-0 win against Seacoast United. He has started in 10 of Baltimore Bays Chelseaâ€™s 11 games this season, scoring eight goals.
Referee of the Week: Neil Barbulescu
Barbulescu is a 23-year-old Grade 6 referee from New Jersey. After traveling to Pennsylvania to officiate the U-17/18 match between PA Classics and Players Development Academy, Barbulescu earned Referee of the Week honors due to his high marks and positive evaluations. A relative newcomer to the Development Academy fold, he works PDL and W-League matches.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Luna and Leyva Score for FC Dallas Reserves: Former FC Dallas Juniors Ruben Luna and Bryan Leyva scored in FC Dallasâ€™ reserve-league season opener against Real Salt Lake. Also in Reserve League action, Bill Hamid minded the net for D.C. United, who earned a 4-1 win against the New England Revolution.
Dillon Powers Takes on a New Role: Dillon Powers, the 2008-09 Development Academy Player of the Year and Andromeda alum, was one of the youngest members of the U.S. U-20 Men's National Team during the FIFA 2009 U-20 World Cup. Two years later Powers joins the team again, this time as a leader bringing his experience and skill to Thomas Rongenâ€™s talented squad thatâ€™s working towards securing a spot in the FIFA 2011 U-20 World Cup.
Agudelo Scores for U.S. Menâ€™s National Team against Argentina: Former New York Red Bulls Academy striker Juan Agudelo scored the game-tying goal in the U.S. Menâ€™s National Teamâ€™sÂ 1-1 draw against Argentina on Saturday, March 26, at New Meadowlands Stadium. The 18-year-old forwardâ€™s second-half strike from close range and goalkeeper Tim Howardâ€™s Budweiser Man of the Match performance secured the result for the United States, whose record against Argentina now stands at 2-6-2.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- U-20 Conversation with Conor Doyle â€“ concacaf.comÂ
- Get to know U.S. U-20 MNT player and Development Academy alum Dillon Powers â€“Â ussoccer.comÂ
- Forward Juan Agudelo Nets Second Career Goal in 59th Minute â€“Â ussoccer.comÂ
- Los Angeles Galaxy U-15/16 Development Academy team striving to be the best â€“ goal.comÂ
- Madrid: A Learning Experience for FC Dallas â€“ FCDallas.comÂ
- More on Development Academy alum playing for U.S. U-20 MNT â€“ lasoccernews.comÂ
- San Jose Earthquakes Development Academy is making strides â€“ sjearthquakes.comÂ
- New England Revolution call up five players for reserve game â€“ revolutionsoccer.netÂ
- New York Red Bulls Academy update â€“ newyorkredbulls.comÂ
- FC Dallas Reserves Defeat RSL 2-0 â€“ fcdallas.com