Kits Worn for First Time in Today’s Match in Genoa, Italy
CHICAGO (Feb. 29, 2012) – The U.S. Men’s National Team unveiled its new Nike away kit earlier today when it took the field against four-time World Cup champion Italy at Stadio Luigi Ferraris in Genoa.
The new kits combine a distinctly American look with cutting edge, player-focused technology all in an environmentally friendly package.
The replica jersey is available to fans at ussoccerstore.com.
The away jersey was inspired by the popular varsity jackets worn in high school and college, incorporating a blue body with white sleeves and a crossover collar that features red, white and blue stripes.
It also features a tonal sash on the front to echo the same design on shirts worn when the U.S. famously defeated England during the 1950 World Cup in Brazil. Inside the neck is an American Stars and Stripes flag, affectionately known as Old Glory.
The shirt’s laser-cut ventilation promotes localized cooling so the athletes can remain focused on the game. The fabric is approximately 23 percent lighter than the version designed four years ago. Embedded with Dri-FIT technology, the kits help regulate players’ temperatures on the pitch by removing sweat from the body to keep them dry and cool faster than ever before.
The base layer apparel includes Nike Pro Combat Hyperstrong shorts and Nike Pro Combat Hypercool 2.0 top. The shorts provide added support, featuring a padded waist and thigh protection, while mesh fabric is placed in the heat zones for breathability. The top delivers ventilation and sweat-wicking fabric to keep athletes cool and comfortable during match play.
The fabric of the kit’s shorts is made with 100 percent recycled polyester. The shirt fabric is made with at least 96 percent recycled polyester. Each kit is made using an average of 13 recycled plastic bottles, minimizing environmental impact.
U.S. MNT Authentic Nike Away Jersey Features
- Blue base color with white sleeves and crossover collar with red, white and blue stripes
- Inside neck of the shirt includes the American Stars and Stripes flag
- Jersey has tonal sash on the front
- Blue shorts and socks, and the socks include a white and red stripe at the top
Comfort and Fit
- Fabric is about 23 percent lighter than the design from four years ago
- Embedded with Dri-FIT technology
- Laser-cut ventilation on the shirt
- Double-knit structure and yarns to make kit 20 percent stronger than past designs
- Nike Pro Combat Hyperstrong shorts feature padded waist and thigh protection
- Nike Pro Combat Hypercool 2.0 top delivers ventilation and sweat-wicking fabric
- Shorts made with 100 percent recycled polyester
- Shirts made with at least 96 percent recycled polyester
- Kit made using an average of 13 recycled plastic bottles