Academy and YNT Benefit from Head-to-Head Duels: A unique element of the 2013-14 Development Academy season has been the opportunity to reward some of the top Academy programs with matchups against the U.S. Under-15 Boys’ National Team and U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team. U.S. Soccer Technical Advisors and players discussed the twofold benefits from this experience – the YNT squads having the chance to play against older U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy players, and the Academy clubs earning the chance to face top Youth National Team talent during the 2013 Academy Winter Showcase.
Opportunity Knocks: Real Salt Lake’s Justen Glad: Real Salt Lake AZ U-17/18 defender Justen Glad, who is in camp with the U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team, caught up with ussoccer.com for its Opportunity Knocks series. Glad recently signed a homegrown contract with Real Salt Lake and is coming off a successful 2013 that included a national title and game-winning goal in the final for Real Salt Lake AZ’s U-15/16 Development Academy team.
U-17 MNT Wins Josip Katalinski Tournament: The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team continued its run of successful tournament performances, winning the crown at the 2014 Josip Katalinski Tournament in Bosnia-Herzegovina. The USA capped off the event with a 4-1 victory against the host side on Sunday, led by PA Classics product Christian Pulisic and LA Galaxy Academy forward Haji Wright who each scored two goals. Earlier in the tournament, the USA earned a win and a draw, routing Montenegro 5-0 on April 3, with Wright scoring four goals, and played Sarajevo Select to a 1-1 draw on April 4.
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of April 5-6):
- West Conference: The Pateadores U-15/16s scored four unanswered goals after surrendering an early tally to top the LA Galaxy 4-1 on Saturday in Southwest Division play. It was the first loss of the season for the Galaxy, which is second in the division at 16-1-6 (2.35 points per game). Pateadores is third in the division at 11-4-6 (1.86 points per game). Pateadores’ Daniel Klemm, Eder Oliva, Ronaldo Escudero and Luis Leon scored a goal apiece in a span of less than 20 minutes. Leon and Oliva each tallied their 12th goals of the season, and they have combined for nearly half of Pateadores’ scoring in 2013-14.
- Central Conference: Lonestar SC’s U-17/18 side defeated Frontier Division frontrunner FC Dallas 3-1 on Saturday, ending FCD’s 12-game unbeaten streak. Lonestar had a balanced effort with Nathan Goldberg, Noah Murphy and Jorge Marin each scoring a goal to lead the team to its fourth win of the campaign. FC Dallas salvaged a stoppage-time goal, but fell to 15-2-4 (2.33 points per game) on the season.
- East Conference: The New England Revolution U-17/18 squad earned a 1-0 victory against the New York Red Bulls, handing NYRB its first loss of the season on Saturday. Amadu Kanuteh had the game’s lone goal in the 22nd minute as the Revolution moved to 8-5-2 (1.73 points per game) in fourth place in the Northeast Division. The Red Bulls are in first place at 12-1-2 (2.53 points per game). … Players Development Academy defeated PA Classics by 1-0 margins at both the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups. At the older level, the Atlantic Division’s second-place PDA (16-2-1, 2.58 points per game) was in the midst of a scoreless match until Brian White scored the game-winner in the 90th minute. White has 18 goals this season. At the U-15/16s, first-place PDA (14-4-1, 2.26 points per game) benefited from an own goal early in the second half and held on the rest of the way for the 1-0 victory.
- Player of the Week: Forward Jonathan Gallagher of BSC CT Academy’s U-17/18 team was named Academy Player of the Week during the March 29-30 weekend. Gallagher had a strong performance during BSC CT’s 3-1 victory against Seacoast United on March 29 that included a 50-yard goal in second-half stoppage time to seal the victory.
- Referee of the Week: Ashbir Singh, a 34-year-old Grade 4 referee from southern California, was named Academy Referee of the Week for his work during the U-17/18 match between Chivas USA and Strikers FC on March 29. Singh has been working Academy matches since 2009 and was part of the 2008-09 Academy Finals Week. He also has an extensive background both internationally and in the professional realm. Singh’s officiating has included the PDL, W-League, MLS preseason, the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, as well as some international opportunities, including a U.S. Women’s National Team match in 2009.
For all Development Academy results, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Ramos Names U-20 MNT Roster for Dallas Cup: U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team head coach Tab Ramos has named his roster for the 2014 Dallas Cup, which kicks off Sunday, April 13. Among the 21 players who have been confirmed to join the team, 16 have ties to the Development Academy – 15 former players and current Real So Cal U-17/18 defender John Requejo Jr.
U-18 MNT in Midst of Domestic Camp: U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team head coach Javier Perez took some time to discuss the U-18 group currently competing in its domestic camp at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, Calif. Following the April camp, the USA will head to a tournament in Lisbon, Portugal, in May. On Tuesday, the USA defeated Canada’s U-18s 2-1, with FC Dallas Academy forward Coy Craft scoring a goal and assisting the team’s other tally by Real Salt Lake AZ defender and new homegrown signing Justen Glad.
Academy Alumni: Fernandes Tallies Again: BW Gottschee product Leo Fernandes scored his second MLS goal during the Philadelphia Union’s 2-2 draw against the Chicago Fire on Saturday. Also during Week 5 of the MLS season, former LA Galaxy Academy defender and member of the USA’s 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup team Oscar Sorto made his league debut during the Galaxy’s 3-0 win against Chivas USA. A.J. Cochran, formerly of St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri, also earned his first MLS minutes for the Houston Dynamo.
DeAndre Yedlin Q&A: Defender DeAndre Yedlin recently earned his second MNT cap as a second-half sub during the USA’s 2-2 draw against rival Mexico on April 2. ussoccer.com chatted with the young outside back as he hopes to make his case for inclusion at the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
- Release: FC Golden State, Juventus Sport Club Join U-15/16 and U-17/18 Levels in 2014-15
- Release: Academy Postseason Features New Format in Build-Up to July 19 Final
- Release: Top U-13/14 Team to be Rewarded with Trip to 2014 Manchester United Premier Cup
- Video: Academy and YNT Benefit from Head-to-Head Duels
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Philadelphia Union
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Bethesda-Olney
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: New England Revolution Academy’s Herivaux Basks in First-Team Run
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q&A: Developing Youth Players
- 2014 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Justen Glad | Orrin McKinze Gaines | Quentin Pearson | Jaret Townsend | Jonathan Navarro | Josh Burnett | Sebastian Padua | Elijah Rice | Dembakwi Yomba | Mukwelle Akale | Jackson Yueill | Ben Swanson | Christian Herrera | Justin Vom Steeg | Conor Donovan | Matias Fracchia
- 2013 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Tyler Adams | Jose Carranza | David Chavez | Lucas Del Rosario | Chase Gasper | Edwin Lara | JT Marcinkowski | Shaquell Moore | Maduabuchi Obinwa | Erik Palmer-Brown | Juan Pablo Torres
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The April 12-13 weekend features 90 scheduled matches, with a combined 59 games at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups and 31 fixtures at the U-13/14 level.
- mlssoccer.com: Luck and Perseverance: DeAndre Yedlin Reflects on Wild Day in Portland
- mlssoccer.com: Joe Corona Stars as Club Tijuana Sneaks Back into Playoff Position
- Chicago Fire: Victor Pineda Scores in Fire Reserves Victory
- Colorado Rapids: Defender Quentin Pearson Selected for U.S. U-18 Camp
- Philadelphia Union: Union Acquires Andrew Wenger from Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake: Justen Glad Signs Homegrown Contract
- Sporting Kansas City: Erik Palmer-Brown Named to U-20 Squad for Dallas Cup (video)
- Top Drawer Soccer: Development Academy Recap
- soccerwire.com: PWSI (Va.) Joins Development Academy at U-13/14 Level
- The Morning Call: Lehigh Valley United to be Part of Development Academy