Bethesda-Olney U-17/18s, FC Dallas U-15/16s Reach Playoffs: Newcomer Bethesda-Olney’s U-17/18 team and the FC Dallas U-15/16s earned berths to the 2013-14 Development Academy Playoffs over the April 26-27 weekend. The FC Dallas U-15/16s earned their sixth straight Playoff berth at this age group. Bethesda-Olney currently leads the Atlantic Division with an impressive 16-2-0 record and FC Dallas is the frontrunner of the Frontier Division at 14-2-6.
U.S. U-15 MNT Garners Win Against China PR U-16s in Slovenia: Playing against older competition throughout the Torneo delle Nazioni, the U.S. Under-15 Boys’ National Team defeated China PR’s U-16s 3-2 on Sunday in Miren, Slovenia. Lucas Del Rosario of the Capital Area RailHawks Academy – CASL scored the game-winning goal in the 56th minute. Hanif Wright of the LA Galaxy Academy contributed the game’s first goal in the third minute. Earlier in the tournament, Del Rosario scored the USA’s lone goal during a 2-1 loss to Mexico’s U-16s.
For the latest Development Academy news, visit the ussoccer.com Academy home page, follow us on Twitter @ussoccer_ynt or like us on Facebook.
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of April 26-28):
- West Conference: The Portland Timbers U-17/18 team moved into fourth place in the tightly contested Northwest Division with a 3-2 road victory against the fifth-place San Jose Earthquakes. Alejandro Segovia scored in the fifth minute of second-half stoppage time for the dramatic game-winner. Foster Langsdorf and Peter Prescott also had goals for the Timbers (10-9-3, 1.50 points per game). San Jose fell to 10-9-6 (1.44 points per game), but the postseason is up for grabs throughout the division. Six of the eight teams sport double-digit win totals, separated by only 0.76 points per game between first-place Seattle Sounders FC (14-3-5, 2.14 points per game) and sixth-place Crossfire Premier (10-11-3, 1.38 points per game). … Elsewhere, the LA Galaxy U-17/18s edged first-place Real Salt Lake AZ 2-1 on Saturday with Jorge Ruiz scoring the game-winner in the 71st minute. RSL still holds the Southwest Division lead (16-2-4, 2.36 points per game) ahead of Real So Cal (16-5-3, 2.13 points per game) and the LA Galaxy (16-5-3, 2.13 points per game). At the U-15/16s, first-place RSL (18-2-2, 2.55 points per game) topped second-place LA Galaxy (16-2-6, 2.25 points per game) on Tate Schmitt’s 74th-minute goal.
- Central Conference: The local derby between the Chicago Fire and Chicago Magic PSG resulted in each club getting a victory. Chicago Magic PSG’s U-15/16s edged the Fire 1-0 as Anibal Mendoza scored the game’s lone goal in the 68th minute. The Magic is in second place at 13-7-0 (1.95 points per game), just .01 points per game behind the first-place Crew Soccer Academy Wolves (13-4-6, 1.96 points per game). At the older age group, the Chicago Fire U-17/18s improved to 14-1-5 (2.35 points per game) with a 3-2 win against the third-place Chicago Magic PSG (11-6-3, 1.80 points per game). Oscar Gonzalez and Collin Fernandez scored in the 40th and 42nd minutes, respectively, for the Chicago Fire.
- East Conference: Kendall SC swept its set against Georgia United last Saturday. Kendall’s U-15/16s earned a 2-1 victory with Alexander Moztarzadeh scoring the winner in the 49th minute and teammate Gabriel Osorio contributing a 34th-minute tally to improve to 19-5-5 (2.14 points per game) and in second place in the Southeast Division. Kendall SC’s U-17/18s, on Mark Verwaay’s 42nd-minute goal, shut out Georgia United 1-0 for the team’s fourth win of the season.
For all Development Academy results, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Academy Alumni: Hyndman Leads Charge in FA Youth Cup: Former Dallas Texans and FC Dallas Academy star Emerson Hyndman tallied a goal and assist to lead Fulham to a 3-2 comeback victory against Chelsea in the first leg of the FA Youth Cup final on Monday. Elsewhere, Colorado Rapids Academy product Dillon Serna scored his first MLS goal last weekend during the team’s 4-1 loss at Seattle.
- Release: FC Golden State, Juventus Sport Club Join U-15/16 and U-17/18 Levels in 2014-15
- Release: Academy Postseason Features New Format in Build-Up to July 19 Final
- Release: Top U-13/14 Team to be Rewarded with Trip to 2014 Manchester United Premier Cup
- Video: Academy and YNT Benefit from Head-to-Head Duels
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Philadelphia Union
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Bethesda-Olney
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: Q&A with Colorado Rapids Academy Product Shane O’Neill
- Feature: New England Revolution Academy’s Herivaux Basks in First-Team Run
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q&A: Developing Youth Players
- 2014 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Hunter Pinho | Jake Arteaga | Justen Glad | Orrin McKinze Gaines | Quentin Pearson | Jaret Townsend | Jonathan Navarro | Josh Burnett | Sebastian Padua | Elijah Rice | Dembakwi Yomba | Mukwelle Akale | Jackson Yueill | Ben Swanson | Christian Herrera | Justin Vom Steeg | Conor Donovan | Matias Fracchia
- 2013 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Tyler Adams | Jose Carranza | David Chavez | Lucas Del Rosario | Chase Gasper | Edwin Lara | JT Marcinkowski | Shaquell Moore | Maduabuchi Obinwa | Erik Palmer-Brown | Juan Pablo Torres
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The Academy weekend features an extended stretch of 120 games running from May 2-5. A combined 68 games are scheduled at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups and 52 matches are set at the U-13/14 level.
- Chicago Fire: U-13s Headed to Italy for Abano Youth Tournament
- Chivas USA: After Reserve League Goal, Caleb Calvert Looks to First Team
- Colorado Rapids: Dillon Serna Creates Rapids History in MLS Week 8 (video)
- D.C. United: Academy Teams go Undefeated in Six Games
- FC Dallas: Second Annual FC Dallas Academy Day Kicks off May 3
- New England Revolution: U-13/14s Defeat BSC CT Academy, German Side JFC 09 Mondorf-Reiff
- Philadelphia Union: Academy Notebook
- mlssoccer.com: Emerson Hyndman Stars in Fulham’s Win Against Chelsea in FA Youth Cup
- mlssoccer.com: Former LA Galaxy Academy Coach Kenny Arena Following Father’s Footsteps
- mlssoccer.com: Philadelphia Union’s New Andrew Wenger-Conor Casey Partnership
- American Soccer Now: Tab Ramos Discusses U-20 and U-20 MNT Strategies
- Top Drawer Soccer: Mukwelle Akale to Sign with Villarreal
- Top Drawer Soccer: Development Academy Recap