U-13/14 Academy Paying Big Dividends at YNT Level: ussoccer.com sat down with U.S. Under-14 Boys’ National Team coach Brian Johnson during the team’s recent trip to Croatia. Johnson discussed how the Development Academy’s new U-13/14 age group has played a big role in player development both in the Academy and the Youth National Team system, as well as enhancing the scouting process. Johnson also is looking forward to the upcoming U-13/14 Academy Showcase from June 13-16 in Westfield, Indiana. “It will be exciting to see some of the new players who haven’t been identified yet who are really quality players who might get the opportunity to come to a future Youth National Team camp,” Johnson said.
- FC Dallas U-17/18s, NYRB Teams Qualify for Playoffs
- Bethesda-Olney U-17/18s, FC Dallas U-15/16s Clinch
- Three Academy Teams Clinch First Playoff Spots for 2013-14 Season
- Academy Postseason Features New Format in Build-Up to July 19 Final
- 11 Teams Garner Academy Playoff Berths Over May 10-11 Weekend
- Another 14 Academy Teams Join 2013-14 Playoff Field
For the latest Development Academy news, visit the ussoccer.com Academy home page, follow us on Twitter @ussoccer_acad or like us on Facebook. With the 2013-14 Development Academy Playoffs on the horizon in June, make sure to use and follow the #AcademyPlayoffs hashtag.
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of May 31-June 1):
- West Conference: Real So Cal’s U-17/18s have built some solid momentum heading into the Academy Playoffs with an eight-game unbeaten streak (7-0-1). Real So Cal capped off its regular season with a 2-1 victory against Nomads SC on Sunday with goals from Spencer Held in the sixth minute and Luis Carbajal with a 65th-minute game-winner. Real So Cal finished third in the Southwest Division with a 19-5-4 record and 2.18 points per game, closely behind first-place LA Galaxy (19-5-3, 2.22 points per game) and second-place Real Salt Lake AZ (18-4-5, 2.19 points per game).
- Central Conference: Crew Soccer Academy had a strong weekend at both the U-15/16 and U-17/18 levels as each team posted two victories during that stretch. The U-15/16s earned a 3-2 win against Sockers FC on May 31 and a 2-1 victory against FC Wisconsin Nationals on June 1, with Frank Carsonie scoring the game-winner in both games. At the U-17/18s, Crew Soccer Academy garnered 2-0 wins against Sockers FC and FC Wisconsin Nationals.
- East Conference: Oakwood Soccer Club swept its set against the first-place New York Red Bulls at both the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups. At the U-15/16s, Oakwood overcame a one-goal deficit with second-half goals from Alex Vigliotti and Griffin Kutzner for the winner. In the U-17/18 match, Oakwood’s Jacob Slomski scored an 86th-minute equalizer and Brendan Constantine an 89th-minute game-winner for a 2-1 victory against the Red Bulls.
- Academy Player of the Week: Shinya Kadono of Strikers FC’s U-15/16 team was named Academy Player of the Week for the weekend of May 24-25. Kadona scored a goal in a 4-1 victory against the Portland Timbers on May 24 and another tally during a 2-2 draw against Seattle Sounders FC on May 25. Kadona leads Strikers FC with 18 goals this season.
- Academy Referee of the Week: William Hale, a 27-year-old Grade 6 referee from Georgia, was named Academy Referee of the Week for his work during the U-17/18 match between Concorde Fire and Georgia United on May 26. Hale, who started working Academy matches in 2013, received high marks for his work in that U-17/18 game.
For all Development Academy results, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Academy Alumni: Bill Hamid, D.C. United Blank Sporting: Former D.C. United Academy goalkeeper Bill Hamid had five saves and led D.C. to a 1-0 victory against Sporting Kansas City last Saturday at RFK Stadium. Hamid has three shutouts this season, all coming in the month of May. Elsewhere, Andromeda FC alum and former Academy Player of the Year Dillon Powers had two assists during the Colorado Rapids’ 3-0 win against the Houston Dynamo.
U.S. U-18 MNT Preps for Lisbon Tournament: The U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team kicks off the Lisbon International Tournament this Friday against Norway in the first of three tournament matches. In preparation for the event, the U-18s played Benfica’s U-19s to a 1-1 draw on Tuesday. Chicago Fire Academy product Collin Fernandez scored a second-half equalizer for the USA. An 18-player roster, which consists of 16 players registered to Academy clubs, was named for the tournament. With U.S. U-18 MNT head coach Javier Perez assisting with the U.S. Men’s National Team, former MNT midfielder Eddie Lewis is guiding the squad in Portugal.
- Release: FC Golden State, Juventus Sport Club Join U-15/16 and U-17/18 Levels in 2014-15
- Release: Academy Postseason Features New Format in Build-Up to July 19 Final
- Release: Top U-13/14 Team to be Rewarded with Trip to 2014 Manchester United Premier Cup
- Video: Academy and YNT Benefit from Head-to-Head Duels
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Philadelphia Union
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Bethesda-Olney
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Video: Arriola Returns to YNT Picture with U.S. U-20 MNT
- Video: Steffen Plays Significant Role in Current U-20 Cycle
- Feature: Shipp’s Technical Prowess Benefiting Chicago Fire
- Feature: Q&A with Colorado Rapids Academy Product Shane O’Neill
- Feature: New England Revolution Academy’s Herivaux Basks in First-Team Run
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q&A: Developing Youth Players
- 2014 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Hunter Pinho | Jake Arteaga | Justen Glad | Orrin McKinze Gaines | Quentin Pearson | Jaret Townsend | Jonathan Navarro | Josh Burnett | Sebastian Padua | Elijah Rice | Dembakwi Yomba | Mukwelle Akale | Jackson Yueill | Ben Swanson | Christian Herrera | Justin Vom Steeg | Conor Donovan | Matias Fracchia
- 2013 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Tyler Adams | Jose Carranza | David Chavez | Lucas Del Rosario | Chase Gasper | Edwin Lara | JT Marcinkowski | Shaquell Moore | Maduabuchi Obinwa | Erik Palmer-Brown | Juan Pablo Torres
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The final regular-season weekend in the Academy features 93 games running from June 7-9. A combined 47 games are scheduled at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups and 46 matches are set at the U-13/14 level.
- Chicago Fire: Homegrown Chris Ritter Receives Praise on Debut Against LA Galaxy
- Chivas USA: U-17/18 Team Clinches Spot in Academy Playoffs
- Colorado Rapids: Academy Defender Quentin Pearson Selected for U.S. U-18 MNT
- LA Galaxy: Mike Muñoz Named LA Galaxy Academy U-13/14 Head Coach
- New England Revolution: Academy Teams Go Unbeaten for Fourth Straight Week
- mlssoccer.com: Aron Johannsson Sets Next Career Target – Top Scorer in Dutch Eredivisie
- mlssoccer.com: AZ Alkmaar Locks Up Aron Johannsson Through 2018
- mlssoccer.com: Juan Agudelo Nears Deal with Bundesliga’s Hannover 96
- mlssoccer.com: New England’s Diego Fagundez Getting Better with Each Game
- mlssoccer.com: John Requejo Jr. Set for Club Tijuana Move
- Top Drawer Soccer: Development Academy Recap