Sporting Academy Duo Adapts to U.S. Futsal Experience: Prior to the 2014-15 Development Academy season, Sporting Kansas City U-17/18 forwards Nic Jaimes and John Leisman had the opportunity to represent the U.S. Futsal National Team during its trip to Argentina. ussoccer.com caught up with both players about the trip and discussed how their involvement with U.S. Futsal has helped develop their game. “One area where futsal really helped is the emphasis on your movement off the ball,” Leisman said. “When I went back to outdoor, my ability to move off the ball improved a lot.”
For the latest Development Academy news, visit the ussoccer.com Academy home page, follow us on Twitter @ussoccer_acad and Instagram, or like us on Facebook. Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Sept. 20-21):
- West Conference: Real So Cal swept its weekend set at each age group. The Real So Cal U-15/16s improved to 4-0-0 this season following a 4-1 win against De Anza Force and a 4-0 victory against the Santa Cruz Breakers Academy. Wilson Harris scored three goals in a 12-minute stretch in the latter win. Real So Cal’s U-17/18s edged De Anza Force 1-0 and also topped Santa Cruz Breakers 4-0.
- Central Conference: Shattuck Saint-Mary’s midfielder Akeem Ward tallied a 90th-minute winner to lead his side to a 4-1 victory against Chicago Magic PSG on Sunday to cap off its 2-0-0 weekend in Mid-America Division play. On Saturday, Shattuck started the new season with a 2-0 win against the Chicago Fire. Nazim Amokachi and Uyiosa Omorogbe each scored a second-half goal for Shattuck.
- East Conference: FC Bolts Celtic, which posted sub-.500 records last season, is off to a promising start with both its U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams garnering a pair of wins in the opening weeks. FC Bolts Celtic’s U-17/18s notched back-to-back 1-0 victories against the Philadelphia Union and Continental FC DELCO, with Mohamed Kenawy scoring a 90th-minute winner against FC DELCO. The FC Bolts Celtic U-15/16 team rebounded from a loss to the Union with a 3-1 win against FC DELCO as Ignacio Roitman, Conor Larkin and Camden Frederick each scored a goal. Both FC Bolts Celtic teams are 2-1-0 to start off the season.
Stat of the Week: Among the clubs that have played four games thus far during the 2014-15 season, the New York Red Bulls are the only club to see both its U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams open with a 4-0-0 record. Additionally, the U-17/18 team’s plus-17 goal differential leads all Academy teams (20-3 scoring advantage), and the U-15/16 team’s plus-11 goal differential (outscoring its opponents 15-4) is the best among its age group.Academy Honors
- Academy Player of the Week: BSC CT’s Sean Dedrick earned Academy Player of the Week honors for his play during the Sept. 20-21 weekend. Dedrick scored a goal and paced his U-17/18 team to a 3-0 win against Baltimore Bays Chelsea. Then, Dedrick tallied the game-winning goal during BSC CT’s 2-1 victory against Bethesda-Olney, which was the national runner-up at this age group last season. BSC CT has opened the season with a 2-1-0 record and is second in the Northeast Division.
- Academy Referee of the Week: Ryan Barron, a Grade 7 referee from Colorado, was named Referee of the Week for his work during Saturday’s U-17/18 match between the Colorado Rush and Texans SC Houston. In addition to Academy games, Barron has worked PDL and W-League matches.
For all Development Academy results, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following link:
- 2014-15 Schedule: Combined U-13/14 through U-17/18
Academy Alumni: Nagbe Adds to Career-High Assists Total: In Major League Soccer play, former Internationals SC midfielder Darlington Nagbe notched his sixth-career assist this season during the Portland Timbers’ victory against Vancouver Whitecaps FC last Saturday. Elsewhere, Carlos Salcedo became the first Real Salt Lake AZ Academy alum to score a goal in MLS during Salt Lake’s 5-1 drubbing of the Colorado Rapids.
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- The Sept. 20-21 Academy weekend, the third of the 2014-15 season, features 119 games – 43 at the U-13/14 age group and a combined 76 games at the U-15/16 and U-17 age groups.
- 2014-15 Academy Schedule page
24 Under 24 Returns: Major League Soccer’s 24 Under 24 feature will be unveiled Thursday. The top three players in last year’s 24 Under 24 series included a trio of players with Development Academy ties: Internationals SC alum Darlington Nagbe of the Portland Timbers, former Pateadores midfielder Luis Gil (above) of Real Salt Lake and Seattle Sounders FC Academy product DeAndre Yedlin.
- mlssoccer.com: 24 Under 24: Columbus Crew Homegrown Hero Wil Trapp
- mlssoccer.com: 24 Under 24: The Worth of Academies and Future of MLS
- Chicago Fire: Academy Team Takes Second Place at Tournament in Mexico City
- Chivas USA: U-15/16 and U-17/18 Teams Return from Northern California with Wins
- LA Galaxy: Bradford Jamieson IV Named Finalist for USL PRO Rookie of the Year
- New England Revolution: Revs Build Winner Through MLS SuperDraft, Academy Program
- New England Revolution: Academy Update
- San Jose Earthquakes: Academy Teams Sweep LA Galaxy