U.S. U-17 MNT Opens Panama Tournament: The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team begins play in the four-team Panama U-17 International Tournament, starting today with its opening match against Costa Rica. That will be followed by a game against Canada on Friday, Oct. 3, and host Panama on Sunday, Oct. 5. U.S. U-17 head coach Richie Williams named a 20-player roster for this tournament. Fourteen players have current ties to the Development Academy. Former LA Galaxy Academy forward Haji Wright and PA Classics product Christian Pulisic lead the U-17s with 11 goals apiece in international competition this year.
For the latest Development Academy news, visit the ussoccer.com Academy home page, follow us on Twitter @ussoccer_acad and Instagram, or like us on Facebook. Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Sept. 27-28):
- West Conference: Real Salt Lake AZ’s Edgar Duran scored three goals in a 15-minute stretch and his U-17/18 side held off Chivas USA for a 4-3 victory on Saturday in Southwest Division play. Chivas USA was in the driver’s seat through the first half with Jonathan Hernandez and Michael Flores each tallying a goal in the first 45 minutes. Duran led Real Salt Lake AZ in the comeback with goals in the 52nd, 56th and 67th minutes, and Diego Silva scored in the 59th minute during that stretch to take a 4-2 lead heading into the game’s final 20 minutes. RSL leads the division with a 3-0-1 record and 2.50 points per game.
- Central Conference: The Academy’s Houston derby at the U-15/16s had a flair for the dramatic. Alexander Acton-Petronotis broke a scoreless stalemate in the final minute to lift Texans SC Houston to a 1-0 victory against the Houston Dynamo. Texans SC Houston earned its first win in three games in Frontier Division play, and Acton-Petronotis’ 80th-minute goal was the squad’s first of the season.
- East Conference: Oakwood Soccer Club’s U-17/18 team extended its unbeaten streak to three games with a 3-1 win against FC Bolts Celtic on Sunday. DeAndre Brown recorded a second-half brace, netting the game-tying and game-winning goals in the 76th and 81st minutes, respectively. Ramon Evans also scored for Oakwood, which improved to 2-1-1 and is tied for second place in the Northeast Division with 1.75 points per game, trailing only the Montreal Impact (3-0-1, 2.50 points per game). Oakwood’s U-15/16s also earned a 3-1 win against FC Bolts Celtic, led by a two-goal effort from Brock Hassett.
Stat of the Week: The Indiana Fire Academy U-17/18s and the PA Classics U-15/16s are the only two teams that have played at least four games and have earned shutouts in every match this season. Indiana Fire Academy (2-0-2, 2.00 points per game) is tied for second in the Mid-America Division with Shattuck-Saint Mary’s, and PA Classics is actually fourth in the Atlantic Division at 3-0-1 and 2.50 points per game. The Philadelphia Union (5-0-0, 3.00), New York Red Bulls (4-0-0, 3.00) and Bethesda-Olney (4-0-1, 2.60) make up the top of the Atlantic Division based on points per game.
- Academy Player of the Week: Portland Timbers U-15/16 midfielder Adrian Villegas was named the Academy Player of the Week for the Sept. 27-28 weekend. Villegas set up a pair of Jose Perez goals during the Timbers’ match against Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Sunday.
- Academy Referee of the Week: Jaelin Rainey, a Grade 8 referee from Georgia, was named Referee of the Week for his work during Saturday’s U-13/14 match between the Concorde Fire and Carolina Elite Soccer Academy. The 16-year-old received high evaluation marks across the board last weekend and has worked several other Academy matches so far this season. Rainey has also worked various local and state-level games in the Georgia area.
For all Development Academy results, standings and more, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Academy Alumni: Revs’ Rowe Tallies Goal in Thrilling Win: Former Crossfire Premier midfielder Kelyn Rowe scored the opening goal of the New England Revolution’s 3-2 road victory against Sporting Kansas City last Friday. Over the past two months, Rowe has four goals and four assists during that 11-game stretch. Elsewhere, D.C. United Academy alum Bill Hamid earned his career-high ninth shutout during a 1-0 win against the Philadelphia Union, and LA Galaxy homegrown product Gyasi Zardes scored his 16th goal of the season to help the Galaxy defeat the New York Red Bulls.
U.S. U-23 MNT to Face Brazil on Oct. 13: The U.S. Under-23 Men’s National Team will convene in Brasilia for a mid-October camp that includes a match against Brazil’s U-23s on Oct. 13. The roster for this camp will be announced shortly as the USA continues its early preparations for the qualification process toward the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- The Oct. 4-5 Academy weekend, the fifth of the 2014-15 season, features 119 games – 42 at the U-13/14 age group and a combined 77 games at the U-15/16 and U-17 age groups.
- 2014-15 Academy Schedule page
- Orlando Sentinel: Orlando City’s Heath Pleased with Growth of Turner and Redding
- American Soccer Now: San Jose Earthquakes Homegrown Forward Tommy Thompson
- American Soccer Now: PDA Product Danny Barbir Lands at West Brom
- Top Drawer Soccer: Concorde Fire Alum Dembakwi Yomba Joins Atletico
- Yanks Abroad: Erik Palmer-Brown Emerging at Sporting Kansas City
- Soccer America: Orlando City U-15/16s off to 4-0-0 Start
- Chivas USA: Development Academy Update
- D.C. United: Bill Hamid Turning Heads in Midst of Breakout Season
- FC Dallas: Alejandro Zendejas Signs Homegrown Contract
- Seattle Sounders: Yedlin Named Top Player in MLS 24 Under 24