Benefits of Academy Futsal Period: The Academy Futsal Period for the U-13/14 age group is coming to a close. ussoccer.com spoke with a number of coaches and technical advisors, including U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann and Academy Director of Scouting Tony Lepore, about how this futsal period benefits the players in their pathway to the National Team youth system and beyond. The regional showcases, which are part of the Academy’s futsal period (January-February), featured a minimum of four futsal matches over a two-day stretch.
Here are the futsal top performers from all three weekends of regionals:
- Kevin Negrete (LA Galaxy) – SoCal Regional, Jan. 24-25
- Blaine Ferri (Solar Chelsea) – Texas Regional, Jan. 24-25
- Ashish Chattha (Juventus SC) – NorCal Regional, Jan. 31-Feb. 1
- Tim Bielic (Sockers FC) – Mid-America Regional, Jan. 31-Feb. 1
- Riley Ferch (Boca United) – Florida Regional, Jan. 31-Feb. 1
- Eric Calvillo (Prince William Courage) – North Carolina Regional, Feb. 7-8
- Matteo Rittaccio (BW Gottschee) – New Jersey Regional, Feb. 7-8
- Kevin Vang (New England Revolution) – New England Regional, Feb. 7-8
Academy futsal on ussoccer.com:
Academy Playoffs, Showcases Return to Grand Park: The Development Academy’s U-13/14 Showcase and the Academy Playoffs for the older-age groups return to Grand Park in Westfield, Indiana. The younger-age showcase runs June 19-22. The U-15/16 and U-17/18 Showcases take place June 22-25, and the Academy Playoffs are set for June 23-26. Additionally, the Academy Championships will be held July 16 and 18 at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, California.
For the latest Development Academy results, information and more, visit academy.demosphere.com and ussoccer.com’s Academy section. Follow the Academy on Twitter @ussoccer_acad, Instagram and Facebook.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Feb. 14-15):
- West Conference: In a crossover matchup, the Southwest Division’s Strikers FC earned a pair of 3-2 victories against the Northwest Division’s Santa Cruz Breakers Academy at the older age groups. The Strikers U-17/18s overcame two deficits and eventually notched the game-winner thanks to an Evan Williams tally in the 79th minute. At the U-17/18s, Strikers FC built a three-goal lead and held on for a 3-2 win. Christian Bond-Flasza, Guillaume Marneau and Julian Anaya each scored for Strikers, before Santa Cruz mounted a two-goal response in the final 13 minutes.
- Central Conference: Texans SC Houston and Lonestar SC posted a weekend split among the older age groups. Lonestar’s Adrian Rodriguez scored two goals to lead his U-15/16 side to a 2-0 victory on Saturday. At the U-17/18s, Texans SC Houston overcame an early first-half deficit to rally for a 2-1 victory. Jonathan Reyes scored a 16th-minute equalizer, Daltyn Knutson tallied the game-winner in the 23rd minute and Texans SC Houston kept Lonestar off of the score sheet the rest of the way.
- East Conference: In Southeast Division play, Capital Area RailHawks Academy – CASL earned a pair of victories against Charlotte Soccer Academy. The U-15/16s, currently second in the division behind Orlando City, earned a 4-2 win that included a second-half brace from Alexander Rose. At the U-17/18s, first-place CASL’s William Ramirez and Donald Mason scored in the 42nd and 58th minutes, respectively, for a 2-1 victory against Charlotte Soccer Academy.
- Academy Player of the Week: Capital Area RailHawks Academy – CASL forward Alexander Rose was named the Academy Player of the Week for his two-goal performance against Charlotte Soccer Academy on Saturday. Rose has now scored 19 goals this season, which ties for second in the Academy at the U-15/16 age group.
- Academy Referee of the Week: Garrison Fratoni, an 18-year-old Grade 7 referee from North Carolina, was named Academy Referee of the Week for his work during the U-15/16 and U-17/18 matches between Capital Area RailHawks Academy – CASL and Charlotte Soccer Academy. Fratoni has worked Academy matches since 2013.
For all Development Academy results, standings and more, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
U-14 BNT Posts 2-1-0 Record During Spain Trip: The U.S. Under-14 Boys’ National Team wrapped up its three-game trip to Madrid and garnered two wins and a loss during that stretch. The USA ended the camp with a 2-0 loss to the U-15 side Extremadura Selection on Saturday. That was preceded by an impressive 4-0 win against Rayo Vallecano on Feb. 11, with goals from Weston FC’s Jose Rivas, Lonestar SC’s Grant Vernon, Bethesda-Olney’s Gabe Segal and Chivas USA’s Ulysses Llanez. The U-14 BNT opened the camp with a 2-0 victory against Real Madrid on Feb. 10.
Academy Coaching Spotlight: Planning for the Future: Sockers FC technical director David Richardson spoke with ussoccer.com about the new Youth Technical Directors course and its role in transforming leaders within the youth soccer community.
- mlssoccer.com: Fresh off U-20 WCQ, Bradford Jamieson IV Shoots for Starting Spot with Galaxy
- mlssoccer.com: Wil Trapp Calls MNT Debut a ‘Learning Experience’
- Denver Post: Colorado Rapids’ Marlon Hairston ‘Exceptional’ at Fullback
- Orlando Sentinel: Rookie Conor Donovan Impresses Early in Preseason
- FC Dallas: FC Dallas U-15/16s Earn Three Wins in MLS Tournament
- New England Revolution: Scott Caldwell Consistently One of League’s Top Young Players
- Orlando City: Squad Posts Three Victories in MLS Tournament
- Real Salt Lake: Luis Gil Relishes New Responsibility
- Sporting Kansas City: Jon Kempin Hungry for More After First MNT Camp