ZURICH (March 31, 2015) – Defender Brek Shea’s first-half, free-kick goal helped steer the U.S. Men’s National Team to a 1-1 draw against No.-12 ranked Switzerland at Stadion Letzigrund in Zurich on Tuesday.
The U.S. had to play the final 20 minutes of the match with 10 men after forward Jozy Altidore was sent off in the 68th minute for protesting being called for a foul by head referee Luca Banti. Although, Valentin Stocker notched the equalizer for Switzerland in the 80th minute, the USA was able to repel Switzerland’s pressure to earn a result.
Goal Scoring Rundown:
USA – Brek Shea, 45th minute: After Alfredo Morales was fouled in the closing moments of the first half, the U.S. was set up for a free kick from 20 yards out. Both Jozy Altidore and Brek Shea stood behind the ball but it was Shea that took the kick and bent it perfectly over the wall and into the top right corner. USA 1, SUI 0 (SEE GOAL)
SUI – Valentin Stocker, 80th minute: Following a short corner, Switzerland’s Granit Xhaka played in a cross from the left side. A group of players went up for it and the ball bounced off Silvan Widner into the path of Stocker, who poked home a shot from four yards out. USA 1, SUI 1 (SEE GOAL) FINAL
- The U.S. MNT now has an all-time record of 1-3-4 against Switzerland.
- Goalkeeper William Yarbrough made his international debut for the USA, entering as a second half sub for Nick Rimando in the 46th minute.
- Brek Shea’s goal was his second of the year and fourth of his career.
- Jozy Altidore earned his 80th cap against Switzerland. The red card was the first he has received in his career with the USMNT.
Next on the Schedule:
The U.S. MNT faces Mexico, Presented by AT&T, on April 15 at 7:30 p.m. CT at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas.
Broadcast information: FOX Sports 1, UniMas, Univision Deportes Network
Social: Twitter (@ussoccer; @ussoccer_esp); Facebook; Instagram
- Michael Bradley recorded his second start as captain. He also wore the armband for the MNT on March 25 against Denmark.
- Bradley is the only player to have played the full 90 in all four matches for the USMNT so far this year.
- Danny Williams made his first start since Feb. 6, 2013, when he took the field against Honduras, and his first appearance since the U.S. played Ukraine on March 5, 2014.
- With Shea’s goal, the USMNT has now scored in the first half of its last nine matches (the last time the team did not score a first-half goal was against Belgium in last summer’s World Cup). This is the fifth 1-0 lead the U.S. has taken into halftime over that stretch and the seventh lead overall.
- The U.S. has not trailed at halftime of a match since playing Portugal at the 2014 World Cup when it went into the locker room trailing 1-0.
- Jordan Morris came into the game in the 89th minute. Morris was called into the MNT squad on March 29 after playing with the Under-23 MNT against Bosnia-Herzegovina on March 27 when he scored the opening goal in a 5-2 win.
- Brek Shea’s free-kick goal was the first direct free kick score for the U.S. since Jozy Altidore scored from a free kick on Aug. 14, 2013 against Bosnia-Herzegovina.
- U.S. Men’s National Team Match Report -
Match: U.S. Men’s National Team vs. Switzerland
Date: March 31, 2015
Competition: International Friendly
Venue: Stadion Letzigrund; Zurich, Switzerland
Kickoff: 12 p.m. ET (6 p.m. Local)
Weather: 48 degrees, cloudy
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
USA 1 0 1
SUI 0 1 1
USA – Brek Shea 45th minute
SUI – Valentin Stocker (Silvan Widner) 80
USA: 1-Nick Rimando (22-William Yarbrough, 46); 21-Timmy Chandler, 15-Michael Orozco (19-Ventura Alvarado, 46), 6-John Brooks, 13-Brek Shea; 14-Danny Williams, 11-Alejandro Bedoya (2-DeAndre Yedlin, 76), 7-Alfredo Morales (5-Tim Ream, 89), 4-Michael Bradley (capt.); 20-Gyasi Zardes (8-Jordan Morris, 89), 17-Jozy Altidore (sendoff, 68)
Subs Not Used: 3-Greg Garza, 10-Miguel Ibarra, 16-Julian Green, 18-Rubio Rubin
Head coach: Jurgen Klinsmann
SUI: 21-Roman Burki; 2-Stephan Lichsteiner (6-Silvan Widner, 46), 22-Fabian Schar, 5-Steve von Bergen, 3- Jacques Fracois Moubandje; 8-Gokhan Inler (capt.) (10-Granit Xhaka, 46), 16-Gelson Fernandes (9-Haris Seferovic, 72), 7-Fabian Frei (17-Pajtim Kasami, 46), 23-Xherdan Shaqiri; 19- Josip Drmic (15-Breel Embolo, 56), 18-Admir Mehmedi (14-Valentin Stocker, 46)
Subs Not Used: 1-Yann Sonner, 4-Fabian Lustenberger, 11-Valon Behrani, 12-Marwin Hitz, 13-Ricardo Rodriguez, 20-Johan Djourou
Head coach: Vladimir Petkovic
Stats Summary: USA / SUI
Shots: 6 / 12
Shots on Goal: 3 / 2
Saves: 1 / 2
Corner Kicks: 1 / 8
Fouls: 14 / 13
Offside: 1 / 2
USA – Jozy Altidore (caution) 68th minute
USA – Jozy Altidore (ejection) 68
Referee: Luca Banti (ITA)
Assistant Referee 1: Riccardo Di Fiore (ITA)
Assistant Referee 2: Filippo Meli (ITA)
4th Official: Alain Bieri (SUI)
Budweiser Man of the Match: Brek Shea