U.S. MNT vs. Argentina
June 21, 2016 – NRG Stadium
Live Broadcast: FS1, Univision, Univision Deportes Network
Tonight’s lineup: Brad Guzan, DeAndre Yedlin, Geoff Cameron, John Brooks, Fabian Johnson, Michael Bradley, Kyle Beckerman, Graham Zusi, Chris Wondolowski, Clint Dempsey, Gyasi Zardes
- Three changes to the starting lineup from the 1-0 win against Ecuador, all due to the one-game suspensions for Alejandro Bedoya, Jermaine Jones and Bobby Wood.
- Graham Zusi has entered as a substitute in all four matches in the tournament, scoring the final goal against Costa Rica that made the difference for the U.S. to finish first in the group on goal difference.
- Kyle Beckerman appeared in the last three matches, while Chris Wondolowski makes his tournament debut.
MATCH PREVIEW: USA vs. Argentina | Copa America Centenario Semifinal
- “Wondo” shared the Golden Boot in the 2013 Gold Cup, having scored five goals.
- Clint Dempsey has scored in three straight matches, improving his career total to 52 goals. He is second on the all-time scoring list for the USA, which is the only CONCACAF country with two or more 50-goal scorers
- Dempsey also has three assists, good for tops in the tournament so far.
- The U.S. and Argentina have tied in their last two meetings, the latest a 1-1 draw on March 26, 2011, in New Jersey.
- Beckerman has played in six different international tournaments for the United States, including one World Cup (2014), three Gold Cups (2009, 2013, 2015), and two Copa Americas (2007, 2016). This is his third-consecutive World Cup Qualifying cycle.
- Bradley and Zardes have both played in 10 of 11 MNT games in 2016, tied for the team lead.
- Guzan has a career record of 13-5-4 in official competition, and has recorded shutouts in 11 of those matches.
- Brooks earned Man of the Match honors in two of the MNT’s four Copa America Centenario matches so far.
- The MNT has recorded six clean sheets in 11 games this year.