USA vs. Romania
Nov. 10, 2016
San Jose, California
Broadcast: ESPN2, UDN; 7 p.m. PT
Tonight’s U.S. WNT Starting XI vs. Romania:
24-Ashlyn Harris; 4-Becky Sauerbrunn (capt.), 20-Allie Long, 2-Casey Short; 7-Kealia Ohai, 12-Andi Sullivan, 6-Morgan Brian, 17-Tobin Heath; 19- Crystal Dunn, 23-Christen Press, 16-Lynn Williams
Subs: 1-Alyssa Naeher, 3-Samantha Mewis, 5-Kelley O’Hara, 8-Julie Johnston, 9-Lindsey Horan, 13-Alex Morgan, 21-Jessica McDonald
- The USA will play in a 3-4-3 formation with Casey Short, Allie Long and Becky Sauerbrunn in the back, Andi Sullivan and Morgan Brian in the middle; Kealia Ohai and Tobin Heath on the wings; and Crystal Dunn, Lynn Williams and Christen Press up top.
- Ohai earns her first start and second cap for the WNT. She earned her first cap on Oct. 23 against Switzerland, coming into the game in the 81st minute and scoring 48 seconds into her debut which was the fastest goal in a debut in U.S. WNT history. She became the 21st player to score in her first cap.
- Williams earns her second start and third cap for the WNT. She earned her first cap on Oct. 19 against Switzerland in Utah, where she came in to the game in the second half, played the entire second 45 minutes and scored 49 seconds into her debut (a record until Ohai broke it four days later). She became the 20th player in WNT history to score in her first international appearance.
- Stanford junior Andi Sullivan and Chicago Red Stars’ Casey Short both will earn their third cap and third consecutive start. Sullivan played 74 minutes against Switzerland on Oct. 19 and all 90 on Oct. 23, while Short played all 90 in both games.
- Jessica McDonald is on the bench and could potentially also earn her first cap today.
- Ashlyn Harris makes her third appearance and start in goal of 2016. She will earn her 11th international cap today.
- Becky Sauerbrunn, who recorded her third assist of 2016 against Thailand on Sept. 15, will make her 22nd appearance and start of the year. She leads the team in minutes played with 1,783.
- Allie Long will make her 13th start of 2016 and 15th appearance of the year. Since re-joining the WNT in April, Long has more than quadrupled her career caps. Long came into this year with only four WNT appearances but with today’s start, she will earn her 19th cap. She has three goals and two assists this year as well.
- Tobin Heath makes her 19th start of the year to go along with her five goals and seven assists. She most recently scored against Switzerland on Oct. 19.
- Morgan Brian, who is just 23 years old, will earn her 17th start of the year in her 62nd international appearance.
- Crystal Dunn and Christen Press make their 24th appearance of 2016, most on the team. It’s Dunn’s 16th start in her 44th international cap. She has scored 17 international goals, which includes 13 this year, third-most in 2016. She most recently scored against Switzerland on Oct. 23. She also has six assists, most recently setting up a goal against Switzerland on Oct. 19.
- The five players in training camp who are not suiting up tonight are: Kristen Edmonds, Ali Krieger, Abby Dahlkemper, Megan Rapinoe and Emily Menges. Goalkeeper Adrianna Franch did not come to training camp due to a family commitment.