LINEUP NOTES: Honduras vs. U.S. MNT - 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying
Honduras vs. USA
2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying
Sept. 5, 2017
Estadio Olimpico Metropolitano; San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Live Broadcast: 5:30 p.m. ET on beIN Sports and UNIVERSO
FAQ: World Cup Qualifying TV Rights Explained
Tonight’s U.S. MNT Starting XI vs. Honduras: 3-Omar Gonzalez, 4-Michael Bradley (capt.), 5-Matt Besler, 6-Darlington Nagbe, 7-DaMarcus Beasley, 8-Clint Dempsey, 10-Christian Pulisic, 12-Brad Guzan, 16-Kellyn Acosta, 17-Jordan Morris, 19-Graham Zusi
Substitutes: 1-Tim Howard, 22-Nick Rimando, 2-Jorge Villafaña, 9-Bobby Wood, 11-Alejandro Bedoya, 13-Dax McCarty, 14-Tim Ream, 15-Eric Lichaj, 18-Chris Wondolowski, 20-Geoff Cameron, 21-Paul Arriola, 23-Fabian Johnson
- The forecasted temperature at kickoff of today’s match is 91 degrees (feels like 107), with a 35 percent chance of precipitation.
- Bruce Arena makes seven changes to the team that faced Costa Rica on Friday, with midfielders Michael Bradley, Darlington Nagbe, Christian Pulisic and defender Graham Zusi as the four holdovers.
- U.S. MNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Clint Dempsey (139), Michael Bradley (138), DaMarcus Beasley (126), Brad Guzan (58), Graham Zusi (55), Omar Gonzalez (46), Matt Besler (44), Jordan Morris (24), Darlington Nagbe (22), Christian Pulisic (18), Kellyn Acosta (15)
- U.S. MNT Starting XI World Cup Qualifying Cap Numbers (including this match): Clint Dempsey (41), Michael Bradley (37), DaMarcus Beasley (35), Graham Zusi (20), Omar Gonzalez (16), Brad Guzan (15), Matt Besler (12), Christian Pulisic (11), Darlington Nagbe (9), Kellyn Acosta (5), Jordan Morris (5)
- The Starting XI’s average cap number (including this game): 62 (overall), 18 (WCQ)
- With the start, Clint Dempsey moves past Landon Donovan and into sole possession of first on the MNT’s all-time World Cup Qualifying caps list with 41.
- Tied with Donovan as the MNT’s all-time leading goal scorer (57), Dempsey’s seven career goals against Honduras are the most by any U.S. player vs. Los Catrachos and is also his highest against any international opponent.
- Dempsey tallied one of his MNT-record 18 World Cup Qualifying goals in the USA’s last visit to San Pedro Sula, putting home a volley off a Jermaine Jones pass in the 36th minute of a 2-1 loss on Feb. 6, 2013.
- Dempsey, of course recorded a hat trick in the USA’s 6-0 win against Honduras on March 24, while Michael Bradley and Christian Pulisic added single strikes to aid in the effort.
- Making his first away World Cup Qualifying start, today’s match also marks the first time Jordan Morris and Seattle Sounders FC teammate Clint Dempsey have started the same match.
- Morris recorded three of his four goals in 2017 during the Gold Cup, including the 88th minute winner in the final against Jamaica.
- Dempsey (5) and Morris (4) have combined for nine (33 percent) of the MNT’s 27 goals in 2017.
- Graham Zusi makes his team-leading 13th appearance of 2017, which is also his career high for caps in a calendar year.
- After receiving his second yellow card of World Cup Qualifying in Friday’s match vs. Costa Rica, forward Jozy Altidore is serving a one-game suspension.
- Bradley, Matt Besler and Dempsey, as well as substitutes Paul Arriola, Alejandro Bedoya and Geoff Cameron are all on caution watch and will serve a one-match suspension with their next yellow card.
- Besler and Omar Gonzalez are paired in central defense for the fourth time in 2017. The U.S. went 2-0-1 when they partnered during the 2017 Gold Cup (including wins in the Semifinal and Final) and is 7-3-5 all-time when the two line up together as center backs.
- Having become the first U.S. MNT player to appear in qualifiers during five different World Cup cycles in June, left back DaMarcus Beasley makes his second appearance of 2018 qualifying.
- Brad Guzan makes his sixth start of 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying. The veteran goalkeeper is 8-2-3 in 14 previous qualifiers and has gone 3-2-3 on the road, helping the MNT pick up points in six of eight matches.
- Six players in the starting XI also began the USA’s most recent away qualifier, a 1-1 draw with Mexico at Estadio Azteca on June 11: Acosta, Beasley, Bradley, Gonzalez, Guzan and Pulisic.
- Bradley makes his third appearance for the MNT in San Pedro Sula, while Dempsey, Gonzalez and Zusi all make their second.
- While he hasn’t appeared here for the senior team, midfielder Christian Pulisic did play at Estadio Olimpico during the 2015 CONCACAF U-17 Championship.
- Fellow midfielder Kellyn Acosta experienced away matches in Honduras, playing in two friendlies against Los Catrachos at the nearby Estadio Francisco Morazán in December 2014 just before taking part in the 2015 CONCACAF U-20 Championship in Jamaica.
- In order to get the gameday roster down to 23 players, defender Matt Hedges and midfielder Cristian Roldan will not dress for today’s match.
- The U.S. MNT is 16-4-4 all-time vs. Honduras, 6-2-1 in World Cup Qualifying and 3-1-1 in road qualifiers.
- Bruce Arena is 6-1-0 in seven all-time matches vs. Los Catrachos and led the team to its second all-time win in Honduras with a 2-1 victory in Final Round World Cup Qualifying on March 28, 2001.