LINEUP NOTES: U.S. MNT vs. Panama - 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying
2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying
Oct. 6, 2017
Orlando City Stadium; Orlando, Fla.
Live Broadcast: 7 p.m. ET on ESPN2, Univision and UDN
Tonight’s U.S. MNT Starting XI vs. Panama: 1-Tim Howard, 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 3-Omar Gonzalez, 4-Michael Bradley, 5-Matt Besler, 6-Darlington Nagbe, 9-Bobby Wood, 10-Christian Pulisic, 15-Jorge Villafaña 17-Jozy Altidore, 21-Paul Arriola
Substitutes: 7-DaMarcus Beasley, 8-Clint Dempsey, 11-Alejandro Bedoya, 12-Brad Guzan, 13-Dax McCarty, 14-Tim Ream, 16-Benny Feilhaber, 18-Chris Wondolowski, 19-Graham Zusi, 20-Geoff Cameron, 22-Nick Rimando, 23- Kellyn Acosta
- U.S. MNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Michael Bradley (139), Tim Howard (120), Jozy Altidore (109), Omar Gonzalez (47), DeAndre Yedlin (47), Matt Besler (46), Bobby Wood (35), Darlington Nagbe (23), Christian Pulisic (19), Paul Arriola (14), Jorge Villafaña (13).
- U.S. MNT Starting XI World Cup Qualifying Cap Numbers (including this match): Jozy Altidore (40), Michael Bradley (39), Tim Howard (38), Omar Gonzalez (17), Matt Besler (13), Bobby Wood (13), Christian Pulisic (12), Darlington Nagbe (10), DeAndre Yedlin (9), Paul Arriola (6), Jorge Villafaña (5).
- The Starting XI’s average cap number (including this game): 45.7 (overall), 18.3 (WCQ).
- Eight players in the Starting XI appeared in the USA’s 1-1 World Cup Qualifying draw at Panama on March 28, 2017. Altidore, Bradley, Gonzalez, Howard, Pulisic, Villafaña and Wood each started that match while Arriola was an 82nd minute substitute.
- Altidore makes his 40th World Cup Qualifying appearance, tying him with Landon Donovan for second on the MNT’s all-time list. Bradley (39) and Howard (38) are close behind, sitting fourth and fifth respectively.
- Altidore and Bradley make their team-leading 14th appearances of 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying.
- Altidore (8) and Wood (3) have tallied 11 goals in the nine international matches they have started together.
- While he holds three goals and three assists in qualifying matches this year, in one way or another Christian Pulisic has been involved in nine of the 12 goals scored by the U.S. during the Final Round of 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying.
- Starters Arriola, Besler, Bradley and Yedlin join substitutes Acosta, Beasley, Bedoya, Cameron and Dempsey on caution watch going into the match. Should they receive a yellow card tonight, they will be suspended from Tuesday’s last Final Round qualifier at Trinidad & Tobago.
- Besler and Omar Gonzalez are paired in central defense for the fifth time in 2017. The MNT is 2-0-2 when they’ve partnered together this year and is 7-3-6 all-time when the two line up together as center backs.
- Jorge Villafaña makes his 13th appearance of the year, tying Graham Zusi for the team lead in 2017.
- After missing September’s qualifiers through injury, DeAndre Yedlin returns to the starting XI vs. Panama.
- Altidore has previously scored against Panama in World Cup Qualifying, tallying the opening goal in the USA’s 2-0 win on June 11, 2013.
- Bradley has scored twice against Panama, recording a goal in the USA’s 2-0 friendly win on Feb. 8, 2015 and the equalizing goal in a 1-1 draw at the CONCACAF Gold Cup on July 13, 2015.
- In order to get the gameday roster down to 23 players, defender Michael Orozco and midfielder Juan Agudelo will not dress for tonight’s match.
- The U.S. MNT is 11-1-6 all-time vs. Panama, 5-0-2 in World Cup Qualifying and 3-0-0 in home qualifiers.
- Bruce Arena is 3-0-4 in seven all-time matches vs. Los Canaleros, and 3-0-2 in World Cup Qualifying.