Portugal vs. USA
Nov. 14, 2017
Estádio Dr. Magalhães Pessoa; Leiria, Portugal
Live Broadcast: 3:30 p.m. ET on FS1, UniMás and UDN
Tonight’s U.S. MNT Starting XI at Portugal: 1-Ethan Horvath, 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 3-Matt Miazga, 4-Tyler Adams, 6-John Brooks, 8-Weston McKennie, 15-Eric Lichaj, 17-Juan Agudelo, 18-CJ Sapong, 19-Danny Williams, 23-Kellyn Acosta
Substitutes: 12-Bill Hamid, 22-Jesse Gonzalez, 5-Tim Ream, 7-Kelyn Rowe, 11-Alejandro Bedoya, 14-Dom Dwyer, 16-Cameron Carter-Vickers, 20-Lynden Gooch, 21-Jorge Villafaña
- During tonight’s match a telethon will be conducted to benefit victims of the devastating wildfires that caused more than 100 fatalities earlier this year in Northern and Central Portugal.
- U.S. MNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): DeAndre Yedlin (49), John Brooks (33), Juan Agudelo (27), Danny Williams (23), Kellyn Acosta (17), Eric Lichaj (14), Matt Miazga (4), CJ Sapong (3), Ethan Horvath (2), Tyler Adams (1), Weston McKennie (1)
- The Starting XI’s average cap number (including this match): 15.8
- The Starting XI’s average age: 24 years, 67 days
- Eight starters are age 24 and under: (24) Agudelo, Brooks, Yedlin, (22) Acosta, Miazga, Horvath, (19) McKennie, (18) Adams
- Seven of the starting XI are products of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy: Adams, Agudelo and Miazga (New York Red Bulls), Acosta and McKennie (FC Dallas), Horvath (Real Colorado), Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC).
- Midfielders Tyler Adams and Weston McKennie make their U.S. MNT debuts tonight.
- Adams (18 years, 273 days) becomes the first player born in 1999 to appear for the MNT and is the second youngest to earn a cap in 2017 after Christian Pulisic (18 years, 187 days on March 24, 2017 vs. Honduras).
- Veteran Danny Williams captains the side for the first time tonight and earns his first MNT appearance since a 1-1 draw with New Zealand on Oct. 11, 2016.
- Coming off a season in which he led all U.S.-eligible players with 16 goals in M.L.S. this season, CJ Sapong earns his first cap since a 1-0 friendly win at Panama on Jan. 25, 2012.
- Starting at right back, DeAndre Yedlin will finish 2017 one cap shy of the half-century mark.
- Partnering with fellow FC Dallas product McKennie in central midfield, Kellyn Acosta leads all players in the starting XI by making his 13th appearance of 2017.
- Having debuted in a 2-0 win at Cuba on Oct. 7, 2016, goalkeeper Ethan Horvath earns his
- Both Brooks and Williams have tallied for the MNT on European soli, each contributing a goal in the USA’s 4-3 friendly win at the Netherlands on June 5, 2015.
- Juan Agudelo, Eric Lichaj and Matt Miazga were all part of the USA’s 2017 Gold Cup championship side.
- Acosta, Miazga, Sapong, Horvath, Adams and McKennie all make their first MNT appearances on European soil.
- With both teams dressing 20 players tonight, forward Josh Sargent will not dress due to a right quad strain.
- Since first meeting in 1978, the USA and Portugal are an even 2-2-2 against each other.
- The sides have twice met in the FIFA World Cup. Acting U.S. MNT head coach Dave Sarachan was an assistant on the team that defeated A Seleçao 3-2 in both teams’ opening match of the 2002 FIFA World Cup. DeAndre Yedlin and substitute Alejandro Bedoya each featured in the USA’s 2-2 draw with Portugal at the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
- The USA’s other win against Portugal came in a 1-0 victory on June 3, 1992 in Chicago.
- The MNT is 0-2-1 all-time against A Seleçao on Portuguese soil.